• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

I'm going to be playing in a Vibram Birdie Bash in a few weeks at my home course. We can only use 2 Vibram discs, but we get to pick them. I've only ever thrown Innova and a Buzzz. All.of the holes will be shortened some, but I'd bet there'll be a couple 300 footers in there.

What two discs do you guys suggest? Must be one driver and one mid/putter. I throe RHBH. My go-to discs are a DX Destroyer (350-400), Champ Firebird (utility disc, skipping forehand and spike hyzers), Star Teebird (200-300), Champ Roc3 (200 and in up-shots), and an Aviar to putt. I dislike throwing putters for up-shots. My first thought was a Trak and an Obex. Thoughts? I'd have to putt with thr Obex, but I can putt with my Roc3 ok if I have to.

I'm going to be playing in a Vibram Birdie Bash in a few weeks at my home course. We can only use 2 Vibram discs, but we get to pick them. I've only ever thrown Innova and a Buzzz. All.of the holes will be shortened some, but I'd bet there'll be a couple 300 footers in there.

What two discs do you guys suggest? Must be one driver and one mid/putter. I throe RHBH. My go-to discs are a DX Destroyer (350-400), Champ Firebird (utility disc, skipping forehand and spike hyzers), Star Teebird (200-300), Champ Roc3 (200 and in up-shots), and an Aviar to putt. I dislike throwing putters for up-shots. My first thought was a Trak and an Obex. Thoughts? I'd have to putt with thr Obex, but I can putt with my Roc3 ok if I have to.

Obex is a speed 5, not a speed 4 like the Roc, so it's a little tougher to putt with than a Roc.

You can't get a Trak, because no fairways.

The Lace is like an understable Destroyer. o-Lace is a little faster and more overstable than a Destroyer.

Obex is a speed 5, not a speed 4 like the Roc, so it's a little tougher to putt with than a Roc.

You can't get a Trak, because no fairways.

The Lace is like an understable Destroyer. o-Lace is a little faster and more overstable than a Destroyer.

I thought they let you have either a distance driver or a fairway driver - I'm pretty sure the Trak was available in the dropdown, but I'll double-check.

The Champion Roc3 is a Speed 5 (5-4-0-3 I think). The Obex seemed very "champ roc3ish" to me.

Last edited:
Oops you're right - no fairway drivers on the list. I ended up going with a light Lace and an Obex. Might have some putting issues, but I'm a terrible putter anyway and I'm going to just have to throw short drives and up-shots under the basket.

Oops you're right - no fairway drivers on the list. I ended up going with a light Lace and an Obex. Might have some putting issues, but I'm a terrible putter anyway and I'm going to just have to throw short drives and up-shots under the basket.

The key to putting with a mid-range/driver is to commit to the putt. "Visualize. Be confident. Commit."

I thought the typical options were driver/mid and mid/putter. Mine was, so I selected the ibex and sole. I never missed the driver and came in second. Ibex was very long and straight, while it was easy to get the sole out there as well. If you can throw as far as your posts stated, you should have no trouble getting an ibex 300+.

The birdie bash was the most fun event I have ever played. The points system is a great way to play.

I have a X-Link glow Vibram OLace and SoLace. The Solace was identical to my Ape or PD2, now it is more like a boss, and I've only been using it for a few weeks, on a mostly open course. It used to have a rapid hook right when I flicked it downhill, not so much anymore. Highspeed stability seems to be very good still, but it lost that extreme LSS that I have in my PD2.

I have a X-Link glow Vibram OLace and SoLace. The Solace was identical to my Ape or PD2, now it is more like a boss, and I've only been using it for a few weeks, on a mostly open course. It used to have a rapid hook right when I flicked it downhill, not so much anymore. Highspeed stability seems to be very good still, but it lost that extreme LSS that I have in my PD2.

That's pretty interesting with the SoLace honestly. The glow is in between soft and medium in feel and usually it takes forever to break in.

Have you tried to reset the stability with it? Some toss it in the microwave but I've found that finding a pot big enough for the disc is better. Heat up water to boiling, turn off heat and dump disc in. Let it sit for about ten minutes and then let it cool down with the flight plate up.

That's pretty interesting with the SoLace honestly. The glow is in between soft and medium in feel and usually it takes forever to break in.

Have you tried to reset the stability with it? Some toss it in the microwave but I've found that finding a pot big enough for the disc is better. Heat up water to boiling, turn off heat and dump disc in. Let it sit for about ten minutes and then let it cool down with the flight plate up.

I am liking it for what it is right now, i'll just be bagging my c-pd2 too.

ACK, i gave the Solace one last chance, it failed for a straight disc with hard fade. It does a wonderful job at being my laser disc 340 feet or so! It's flying like discs rated -1 HSS and 2.5 LSS fade now. I am throwing it farther than ever before, it's just not headwind fighter anymore. If I need a 275 foot tombstone or a 300+ foot dog leg skip disc ... Ill grab my Discmania Chaos PD2.

I am not impressed with durability and stability change of the X-link Glow Solace.

The Solace cost me 2 OB's at league tonight. I am right handed, and flick, and I can't trust it anymore to hook hard to the right if their is OB left. I'll sacrifice distance and go with a PD2 now. I switched to the PD2 mid round and it gave me the flight, and birdie I needed!

ACK, i gave the Solace one last chance, it failed for a straight disc with hard fade. It does a wonderful job at being my laser disc 340 feet or so! It's flying like discs rated -1 HSS and 2.5 LSS fade now. I am throwing it farther than ever before, it's just not headwind fighter anymore. If I need a 275 foot tombstone or a 300+ foot dog leg skip disc ... Ill grab my Discmania Chaos PD2.

I am not impressed with durability and stability change of the X-link Glow Solace.

The Solace cost me 2 OB's at league tonight. I am right handed, and flick, and I can't trust it anymore to hook hard to the right if their is OB left. I'll sacrifice distance and go with a PD2 now. I switched to the PD2 mid round and it gave me the flight, and birdie I needed!
Put it up in the marketplace then. :D

Try and reset the stability in it. It'll act like a brand new disc. Then, grab a medium and watch it take forever to beat in and if you can handle the feel of the soft watch it be brand new forever unless it gets cut.

If you can't get a Solace to fade, it's OAT not the disc.

It fades, but not as much as I would like, compared to a PD2. Which is important when there is OB to the left, and a 50km/hr headwind, and you throw flick for distance.

Oh, I'm sure the pros using hickory shaft clubs also mentioned something about form when players didn't hit the needle size sweet spot on their club.

If a disc or club can give you a little leeway on your form, why not utilize it?

It fades, but not as much as I would like, compared to a PD2. Which is important when there is OB to the left, and a 50km/hr headwind, and you throw flick for distance.

Oh, I'm sure the pros using hickory shaft clubs also mentioned something about form when players didn't hit the needle size sweet spot on their club.

If a disc or club can give you a little leeway on your form, why not utilize it?

Fair points all-around.

Put the glow Solace on the market-place, and it'll fetch a nice price for a slightly-used premium plastic.

I've found this to be true though: Vibram's putters will never change their stability. However their distance drivers are constantly changing due to the incredible impacts these discs when hitting the ground. Speed 14s and 13s are unprecedentedly fast.

Super-fast discs are going to show form flaws better than slower discs. Something to keep in mind

Are older Vibram minis worth anything?
Found a couple from a few years back in a drawer recently, a red putter and a green driver w a footprint on it.
Seems the putter version is still around, but the driver w footprint can't seem to find anything about it.
-J

Are older Vibram minis worth anything?
Found a couple from a few years back in a drawer recently, a red putter and a green driver w a footprint on it.
Seems the putter version is still around, but the driver w footprint can't seem to find anything about it.
-J

I'd try the Collector's groups first. If no one bites, try the Recycling center on facebook. You'll get a lot of attention on the facebook sites. Someone could probably explain what they're worth, too. :)

the Summit has magical properties. In my opinion, it's the one-disc wonder, because it works well for driving, putting, and approaching. It's about the only disc that I can carve lines with, though I am learning to do some lines with the Ibex more and more lately...

Steve Dodge convinced me to throw a Summit more often when I'd only been playing 6 months or so, and it was the most positive thing for my game. I bag 5 of them from a 154 to a 172, all M although I do want to add a soft as well. Nailed a 60' birdie with one today, straight as an arrow, nothin' but chains. :thmbup:

Steve Dodge convinced me to throw a Summit more often when I'd only been playing 6 months or so, and it was the most positive thing for my game. I bag 5 of them from a 154 to a 172, all M although I do want to add a soft as well. Nailed a 60' birdie with one today, straight as an arrow, nothin' but chains. :thmbup:

I have been throwing a Summit for about a month now, and just ordered 2 more mediums. It putts straight as an arrow, I can use it to throw a gentle hyzer approach, and also throw it hard on approaches and watch it gently turn toward the target. An awesome disc.

I have been throwing a Summit for about a month now, and just ordered 2 more mediums. It putts straight as an arrow, I can use it to throw a gentle hyzer approach, and also throw it hard on approaches and watch it gently turn toward the target. An awesome disc.

I'm really working on trying to get my wrist-action down on spin-putting, because once I do that I'll be banging chains with the Summit from 30'-60' whereas now I feel pretty cofident 30' and in with the VP. I'll keep you guys posted on how I do. :)

Latest posts