• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram OBEX/Arch

Teamkiller

Par Member
Anyone using the OBEX and or Arch? Looking to possibly replace a lost Rival and Roc3. Have been attempting to expand beyond innova and discraft to try different brands.

I have an obex, don't use it very much. Performed like a roc3 for me, slightly overstable but not at all a meat hook. A predictable soft fade. If you need one I have a firm 173 lying around somewhere.

The Obex I threw was a fair amount beefier than any Roc3 I've thrown. Even though it's not beaded, I would probably look at the Ibex to replace a Roc3. Great disc too.

I kind of view the Obex as a rubber rancho Roc and the Ibex as a Shark.

My Obex is great, it's one of my most-used discs. For me it's somewhat overstable, yet doesn't have a really violent fade; it complements the Ibex really well. It's very useful for overhead shots and forehand approaches, and what I like best about it is how easy it is to power down without losing predictability.

Oh, and I have an Arch too, but I don't use it as much as the Valley.

Arch is kinda like a banshee, though if you throw it hard enough it wont be as OS.

Obex/Ibex combo and you should have all the shots needed for mid slots covered. I dropped everything i was carrying after picking up an ibex and obex, cuz i found i could do a lot with just those two. (still have an US putter for upshots that need to stay on an anny though)

X-link Med is good stuff to hit and stick in the summer (in the winter i will be getting the Soft Blend) Firm is good for driving. (in my opinion, your's may differ)

I have an obex and ibex. Stay away from ibex unless you have the power of a 5 year old girl with MS. The obex is a little bit more stable than the roc3 then again it's hard to tell with all innova discs having different stabilities from color

Ibex was more understable than I expected. Hopeless into any sort of wind. The Obex has been great. Mostly a straight flier with a moderate late fade. The only midrange I carry.

Arch is the Valleys somewhat more stable brother. Can handle some headwind, which is where the Valley has trouble. They make a good combo.

The Obex I threw was a fair amount beefier than any Roc3 I've thrown. Even though it's not beaded, I would probably look at the Ibex to replace a Roc3. Great disc too.

What obex were you throwing. A fresh obex and a fresh roc3 are close but the obex is going to be less stable than a fresh roc3.

However there is so many combinations that come into factor when you compare discs. Vibram is the hardest to understand what is stable and what is not. Some of the obexes will have a 1 on the back of the disc. That is a more stable run of obex. Also the multi firm discs are more stable. The half medium/firm molds. The micro granite are usually more stable. Original run and solids are not that stable. They will go straight with a small bit of fade at the end.

Obex seems to power down really nicely with a soft fade...

Ibex flies straight into a headwind, however any form flaws will show with the Ibex. Same goes for the Obex. Which is why I think that Vibram mids aren't as popular as they should be...

Best comparisons:

Ibex = Truth = Buzzz
Obex = Roc

The Arch is an amazing disc. It has awesome glide. It will hold anhyzers and slowly fade out flat. Thrown flat it will turn over and come back a little bit. This is my go to fairway driver in my bag.

The one vibram I had was an ibex, or obex, don't remember... But the rubber was super slick, weird for rubber right? :\

It was just like a roc3

Last edited:
I think the Arch is very similar to an Eagle. It's a great fairway mold. I personally prefer the Ibex more in the mid lineup, though.

Latest posts