• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Open - Ams

Lanebrew

Bogey Member
Sorry if this is the wrong spot. Looking for some friendly tips on the course. Coming out from Colorado and won't have a chance to scout the courses prior. Any little details, nuances and other good tips would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to play in this tourney and meet some more awesome people and players!

Maple Hill White - You can afford to be aggressive. Par is 56 and that likely comes out to about a 920-930 rating. The scariest shot on the course is the first one - 355' downhill over the pond to a pin on the opposite shore. There's not a lot of tricky nuance to the course, what you see is what you get. It's all about execution.

Hyland - A tricky combination of long and technical. This course can eat you up if you let it. Don't be afraid to disc down to stay on the fairway, bad kicks can put you in some pretty nasty spots. For Vibram we're playing to the long baskets. If you're unsure how to play some of the longer holes, throwing to the short basket is often a safe play. From the shorts, the long basket is usually a short upshot or long putt.

Webster - I'll be playing this one blind too, so I can't offer much advise. I've heard it's a short but technical layout.

Maple Hill Gold - Make the cut and this is your reward. This is the layout that the pros will be playing for the Vibram. There are a few birdie opportunities out there, but playing golds is more about limiting mistakes.

Webster - I'll be playing this one blind too, so I can't offer much advise. I've heard it's a short but technical layout.

webster is like a much easier devens. less elevation and a little more space to work with. you can play the whole course with a mid and only really need a fairway driver on 3-4 holes. i would suggest at least walking the course before the round. most holes you can see the basket, but the ones you cant you will want to know about before you throw. 9 comes to mind as well as 12. 17 i think is the hardiest hole on the course.

I just played both Hyland and Webster for the first time on Sunday. The description given by bradharris for Hyland is very accurate. Definitely want to stay in the fairway because the rough is very thick. Aiming for the short pins when you can't see the longs is very good advice for shooting a solid round. On the open holes in the orchards, two 300' shots are much safer than trying to hit max distance off the tee followed by a 100' approach. Waist high grass and prickely bushes await errant drives.

Webster is much shorter, mids off the tee with multiple lines available on most holes. Only a few blind shots but the rough is not overly unforgiving. Lots of birdie opportunities, but there are multiple baskets sitting on the edge of a steep slope on mid-slope. There will be some heart-breaking roll aways that turn 2's into 4's. Course is in great shape and fun to play.

Great answers so far fellas. Keep 'em coming! On Maple Hill white, hole 1, is there an alternate route instead of going across the lake? Losing a disc on the first hole of a tournament doesn't sound very appealing.

Great answers so far fellas. Keep 'em coming! On Maple Hill white, hole 1, is there an alternate route instead of going across the lake? Losing a disc on the first hole of a tournament doesn't sound very appealing.

Here's what it looks like.

b91952db.jpg

You can try to turn something over or forehand out to the right, but that's a pretty ugly area to end up. You could also lay up something short near the drop zone.

Hole #1 whites takes 350' to clear the pond, with only 5' between the basket and the water. If you have a cannon for an arm, you can throw over it, and then layup back to the basket. Safest play is probably hyzer to the left of the pond, then hyzer towards the basket with any fade carrying you away from the water. Fun hole to watch too, which is nice since everyone has to be at #1 30 min before their tee time.

I agree that turning something over rhfh is probably your safest bet. the right side of the pond is waaaay longer than the left.

Something to keep in mind with Maple Hill White #1 is that it plays downhill. The 350 plays more like 300-310. It only feels longer because you simply can't come up short if you're going right at it.

But there is a layup as the picture indicates. Probably only 100-120 feet to clear the pond from the drop zone which is visible right on the edge of the water on the tee side.

There's some room to the right side of the pond, but it's thick and rough. It's a longer layup to play around the left side of the pond but it can be done.

There's plenty of space long on either side of the basket if you just want to rip your longest disc as far as you can. The comebacker is treacherous since the green slopes away toward the water so you don't want to go long when you approach.

Safest play is probably hyzer to the left of the pond, then hyzer towards the basket with any fade carrying you away from the water.
^^ This is the safest route if you're worried about clearing the pond. Trying to lay up on the right side often puts you into thick rough/woods, with a tough out back to the pin which is precariously close to the waters edge.

Also, definitely check out hole 18 beforehand (Maple Hill). I've seen more rounds ruined there than any other 18th hole on any course I've ever seen. Unless you REALLY need the birdie, you're probably better served laying up on the approach if you're more than 100 -150 feet out. IMHO.

Last edited:
Great advice for Maple Hill but no one mention playing in constant to torrential down pour rain. Made for a BRUTAL round. I'm not the best player, but I'm also no a plus 22 player on that layout. Damn u Mother Nature!

damn. i saw a few posters here did well the first round. i see brad isnt far from the lead. my teammate devon labelle is sitting in 4th after one. but more notable is my am2 and local 12yr old hero, zach longeil, who shot 60 points higher than his ranking. sitting 42 of 144 and in the A pool. amazing how many locals are open players bagging this event. its awesome to see zach beating them!

my buddy devon takes 2nd. also hits the only deuce ever on hole 18 maple hill golds. ****ty video but its sweet when the crowd explodes

damn. i saw a few posters here did well the first round. i see brad isnt far from the lead. my teammate devon labelle is sitting in 4th after one. but more notable is my am2 and local 12yr old hero, zach longeil, who shot 60 points higher than his ranking. sitting 42 of 144 and in the A pool. amazing how many locals are open players bagging this event. its awesome to see zach beating them!

My first two rounds went great, final two were more of a struggle.

I was in the the gallery for the deuce on 18, incredible.

Latest posts