• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wassup from Marietta GA

McCready

Eagle Member
So a friend came to visit a couple weeks ago from PA. Actually he and his girlfriend who is my wife's friend from college. He's got this huge bag full of discs and is talking about finding a local course to play. I'm clueless about the sport, but I played many hours of catch frisbee as a kid and there is a course a mile from our house. So we go and play a round. He gives me a beat-up DX Wraith, and I just imitate his windup as best I can, and I'm getting good distance. Not 300' or anything, but easily making 3's from the short tees. I was instantly hooked.

My sessions right now are mostly putting and driving range, just repetition, getting a feel for which discs I like, figuring out angles, etc. Then I'll play 7 or 8 actual holes on the course, throwing multiple discs off the tee if no one is behind me, and 10 or 20 putts from different elevations and distances. Just messing around, getting a feel for the game. Really having a blast. I'm 44, and really regret not taking up the sport 20 years ago.

This is my collection so far. If a weight isn't listed, UPS hasn't delivered it yet. I went a little nuts reading up on discs and ordering from Amazon and the Innova store, but I'm definitely done for now. Out of these 20 discs I want to get down to about 10 in my bag for actual rounds of golf, then I'm sure I'll probably look into different weights and plastics of those same discs.

My best disc right now is the Leopard which is why I ordered a second one in Star plastic. Some of these will be thrown for the first time today, like the Buzzz, Cobra, Impulse and Stratus.

Distance drivers
Innova DX Wraith 169g
Innova DX Valkyrie 150g
MVP Neutron Impulse 168g

Fairway drivers
Innova DX Leopard 168g
Innova Star Leopard
Innova Champion TeeBird
Innova DX Archangel 167g
Discraft Elite X Stratus 168g
Latitude 64 Opto Diamond

Midrange
Innova Star Roc+
Innova DX Shark 173g
Innova DX Cobra 170g
Discraft FLX Buzzz 168g
Discraft Elite X Buzzz

Putters
Innova DX Classic Aviar 175g
Innova DX Aviar Putt & Approach 175g
Innova DX Aero 167g
Discraft Pro D Soft Magnet (x3) -- found a 3-pack on Amazon for $18.99.

Just finished at the course. Crazy how much more distance I'm getting from the Leopard. Nothing else in my bag comes close.

My putting suuuucks.

Which course(s) in Marietta do you play? I'm always looking to try new ones in the ATL area...

Which course(s) in Marietta do you play? I'm always looking to try new ones in the ATL area...
Oregon Park, and it's awesome. I use their driving range and putting basket more than the actual course right now, but it's a great mix of open, wooded, uphill, downhill, long, short, etc. It's 18 holes with two tee pads and two baskets per hole.

Oregon Park, and it's awesome. I use their driving range and putting basket more than the actual course right now, but it's a great mix of open, wooded, uphill, downhill, long, short, etc. It's 18 holes with two tee pads and two baskets per hole.

Good choice on the course, and good choice with the Leopard. I don't know if you're aware, but there's a store on the Marietta Square that sells discs: BP Sports Collectibles, aka "Disc Caddie", on the same side of the square as Eddie's Trick Shop and Taqueria Tsunami, but closer to the courthouse, next door to the antique store on the corner. They normally have a good selection of Innova and Discraft, as well as some Prodigy and Lat64. They carry a few other brands -- I've seen MVP there -- but no Vibram. There's also a local guy everybody calls "Grease" that sells discs out of the back of his truck. You're likely to see him there during tournaments or other major events, like the annual Ace Race. He also plays the weekly random draw doubles from time to time.

I hope to see you on the course at OP some time. :)

Last edited:
Good choice on the course, and good choice with the Leopard. I don't know if you're aware, but there's a store on the Marietta Square that sells discs: BP Sports Collectibles, aka "Disc Caddie", on the same side of the square as Eddie's Trick Shop and Taqueria Tsunami, but closer to the courthouse, next door to the antique store on the corner. They normally have a good selection of Innova and Discraft, as well as some Prodigy and Lat64. They carry a few other brands -- I've seen MVP there -- but no Vibram. There's also a local guy everybody calls "Grease" that sells discs out of the back of his truck. You're likely to see him there during tournaments or other major events, like the annual Ace Race. He also plays the weekly random draw doubles from time to time.

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check that out.

I was out on the course today and man is it freaking hot out. Hate to admit it but my fat ass only made it through 14 holes and I just about made it back to my truck, felt like I would pass out. My game needs a lot of work, but man those two or three shots that go exactly where I want...all the satisfaction I need to keep playing. :thmbup:

Threw my Diamond for the first time today, great disc. Also loving the Stratus, really nice and understable with great glide. I overthrew a basket for the first time today, so I know I can reach at least 220'. :D

Sounds pretty familiar. A buddy got me started about a year ago and I have been hooked since. And like you, my favorite drivers are the diamond and leopard. My form (standstill btw) is not good enough or fast enough to get me better results out of anything faster than a 7 right now. As a result, the few drivers I have that are rated higher stay at home. I don't even take them to the course anymore. I'm having my best luck sticking with lowspeed drivers, mids and putters. I got stuck on the challenger as it drives well and putts well for me. In fact, our local courses are short and full of trees and I have played many rounds with nothing but the challenger. Great disc.

Good luck and have fun!

Sounds pretty familiar. A buddy got me started about a year ago and I have been hooked since. And like you, my favorite drivers are the diamond and leopard. My form (standstill btw) is not good enough or fast enough to get me better results out of anything faster than a 7 right now. As a result, the few drivers I have that are rated higher stay at home. I don't even take them to the course anymore. I'm having my best luck sticking with lowspeed drivers, mids and putters. I got stuck on the challenger as it drives well and putts well for me. In fact, our local courses are short and full of trees and I have played many rounds with nothing but the challenger. Great disc.

Good luck and have fun!
I'm considering a standstill or at least a shortened windup until I can get some consistency. My tunnel shots are really comical -- 30 feet, smash into the first tree. Try another one, adjust the throw, smash into a tree on the other side. My open field shots are better, especially hyzers. I was nailing those with frisbees at 12 years old, so it's a natural motion for me.

How far can you throw from standstill?

How far can you throw from standstill?

Well, not as far as I'd like, that's for sure! At present my average distance on a flat-ground hyzer-flip drive with a lepoard (157g) or diamond (155g) is about 220-240. Mid's come in around 200, and the challengers not a lot less. I'm pleased enough with this distance at the moment since I started the spring trying to break 200 ft with any disc whatsoever, and now its routine with mid's.

Before I started standstill I was using a funky side-step run up move that was a complete waste of energy. I read a few posts here about getting form down with a standstill, found the heavydisc.com site and have been trying to follow what Jason (who posts as HyzerUniBomber on this forum) was laying down about the standstill and the backhand in general. Awesome stuff. I was throwing farther and more consistent right away.

My goal is now to regularly break 300 with this standstill thing before the year is out.

220-240 would reach a good number of baskets from the silver tees at my home course. I think I may mess around with that today.

220-240 would reach a good number of baskets from the silver tees at my home course. I think I may mess around with that today.

Just so you're aware, a few of the silver baskets at Oregon Park have been moved in the past couple of months, and the tee signs don't yet have the new distances. For example, the silver basket on #18 has been moved back about 25' very recently, and the tee signs don't yet reflect that change. I hear that silver baskets 2, 3, 6, and 12 have also been moved a bit, but I don't know how far on those holes. I need to play a round this week or weekend to silver to figure out the difference. Just FYI.

Just so you're aware, a few of the silver baskets at Oregon Park have been moved in the past couple of months, and the tee signs don't yet have the new distances. For example, the silver basket on #18 has been moved back about 25' very recently, and the tee signs don't yet reflect that change. I hear that silver baskets 2, 3, 6, and 12 have also been moved a bit, but I don't know how far on those holes. I need to play a round this week or weekend to silver to figure out the difference. Just FYI.
Good to know, thanks.

I found a good way to play a quick round on my lunch hour -- 1 thru 3, then bang a right and the 12th tee is right there. I can barely finish 10 holes on these wicked hot days anyway. :mad:

Ordered a dyed Champion Sidewinder and a Z Comet. Strongly considering a River, Fuse, and a Mercy too.

Why can't I stop buying discs??

Picked up a nice Wizard and an Echostar Wraith at Disc Caddie today. Pretty nice little selection there but I was really hoping they would have Latitude.

Also just ordered a Lucid Witness and KC Pro Roc from Clearwater. :thmbup: