• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Water Damage

veek

Birdie Member
I know a guy that gets lots of disc from a pond at his local course and sells them cheap. Most are in very good shape, some are warped but i'm not talking about the warped ones. I was wondering if being in water changes the flight or damages the disc ? Hes got a lot disc you would never know by looking came out of water. Are these water logged disc just as good as normal disc ?

Cool, hes got a Champ Valk & Champ Roadruner & Star TL Teebird in very good shape, $15 or $20 for all three. Wanna grab them before somone else does.

So they would crack easyer in the winter, thats somthing to think about.

In my observation, if they have been in water a short while, they are pretty much unchanged.
if they've in the water a long time (years), the plastic begins to dimple and I believe that the raised surface makes them much less stable.
Just my observation...

Interesting. I wouldn't expect water to effect the plastic at all since it is so commonly stored in plastic containers. Stuff in the water can start to grow on the discs and maybe eat in to the plastic, but I am struggling to accept H2O does the damage.

Interesting. I wouldn't expect water to effect the plastic at all since it is so commonly stored in plastic containers. Stuff in the water can start to grow on the discs and maybe eat in to the plastic, but I am struggling to accept H2O does the damage.

I second this. You can tell when a water disc is in bad shape, they get a nice brown/black funk growing on them that seems to be impossible to remove. I found a champ valk in a creek that must have been sitting there for the past 10 years. Its was definitely garbage, but it still flew nice when I threw it off a 3000' tall cliff.

I would

I second this. You can tell when a water disc is in bad shape, they get a nice brown/black funk growing on them that seems to be impossible to remove. I found a champ valk in a creek that must have been sitting there for the past 10 years. Its was definitely garbage, but it still flew nice when I threw it off a 3000' tall cliff.

have kept it and dyed it solid black....just a thought.:confused:

purified water probably wouldnt do much to plastic. but where in the world is a DG course right near a spring?

10 years? Please dont tell me what you threw off that cliff was a C.E. Valk

thats funny my cousin lives in truckee

who's your cousin? does he or she disc? I have a few discs i've found in water that have the brown scum build up on them. I've tried it all. 11x firebird and teebird if anyone is after a scum disc.

Depends on water quality and type of plastic but it only takes a few weeks to get stained and 3-4 years to see the plastic breaking down - bubbles, peeling, or cracks in the plastic.

Cool, hes got a Champ Valk & Champ Roadruner & Star TL Teebird in very good shape, $15 or $20 for all three. Wanna grab them before somone else does.

Well I got all three last week, cost $15 and my Epic, i'm soooo happy. The Roadrunner is my best disc, getting 300'. The Valk is sweet, and the TL rocks, except for the very large name & number written on bottom. I allmost want to call the guy and thank him. The only damage is the weight washed off. And my Epic, Well I was looking for a lake to dump it in anyway. It turned out GREAT, Thanks for all the good info fellows.