• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weight lifting & disc golf?

It is about what he is doing. If you don't follow golf, Bryson DeChambeau put on considerable muscle mass and strength over the winter and COVID. This has long been considered counter productive in golf. The thought was long, lean strength was more beneficial. DeChambeau is blistering the ball and has put a couple big wins in the trophy case. Making golf rethink their belief.

Not only did he put up a couple big wins, one was the US Open which he won by like 6 shots. Everyone minimized his early success and said his game would't hold up once he got to a "real" course (aka US Open style). Dechambeau just bombed it long the whole time, and if he missed the fairway, he was close enough he could muscle it out of the insane rough. If he hit the fairway he could attack the pin, whereas all of his competitors were coming in with long irons and had to play for pars. It's really incredible what he's done.

I can't think of a comparison in DG. Just imagine if Eagle showed up next spring looking like Arnold Schwartznegger and started throwing giant spike hyzers over everything.

Yes, Kettlebell swings are awesome for building core strength!

Planks (regular and star), Dips, Burpees, Inverted Rows, Pull Ups and Push Ups (Pike Push Ups/Star Push Ups), & Split Squats should cover most of your bases. Some will even give a nice natural stretch and increase flexibility.

For stretching and flexibility afterwards or before, do YOGA.

I would add Kettlebell workouts as a regiment. Good for stability, explosion, and strength. There are exercises like the "wood chop", "bob-and-weave", and "side lunge" that can mimic/create feel of the lateral weight shift from back to front foot in the backhand throw.

81Mrm9W0l1L._AC_SY679_.jpg

Not only did he put up a couple big wins, one was the US Open which he won by like 6 shots. Everyone minimized his early success and said his game would't hold up once he got to a "real" course (aka US Open style). Dechambeau just bombed it long the whole time, and if he missed the fairway, he was close enough he could muscle it out of the insane rough. If he hit the fairway he could attack the pin, whereas all of his competitors were coming in with long irons and had to play for pars. It's really incredible what he's done.

Honestly it is incredible. I am a DeChambeau hater, and I have to give him credit, he has cleaned up his short game enough to where his long game advantage is carrying him to trophies. I am still a hater, and probably always will be because I can't stand his particular "meathead professor" archetype, but I can eat crow and admit that his golf game has improved considerably.

As for a disc golf equivalent, Drew Gibson is pretty jacked. KJ doesn't have as much bulk but he is certainly jacked as well. And I just recently found out about that kid from South Dakota that threw a Luna over 400'... Yeah he's jacked. None of them to the degree of DeCham, but then again none of those guys can afford the level of extra curricular "nutrition" that a PGA golfer has access to. It does seem like the fit guys are throwing just as long as the lanklet guys lately.

I think at the end of the day, if you have big hands and a solid wingspan to height ratio you will throw far whether you pack on the muscle or not. Whether adding muscle will help or hurt is going to depend on whether the muscle hurts your range of motion.

It is about what he is doing. If you don't follow golf, Bryson DeChambeau put on considerable muscle mass and strength over the winter and COVID. This has long been considered counter productive in golf. The thought was long, lean strength was more beneficial. DeChambeau is blistering the ball and has put a couple big wins in the trophy case. Making golf rethink their belief.

Thanks! Never heard of the guy, not a tradgolf fan although my two uncles are. I'll look him up.

I heard Christian Sandstrom used to throw barbell weights like frisbees.

The closest player I can think of to Dechambeau is Ezra Aderhold. He was throwing some bombs on the latest GK Pro Skins. Dude is both absolutely jacked and fast twitch. Don't know a ton about his short game.

I am really amazed at the similarities between ball and disc golf swing.

I'm loving kettlesbells for getting my fast twitch muscles stronger and twitchier. Heavy weights moved with speed also build up fast twitch. You need fast twitch for balance and bursts of power, everything needed for drives.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Latest posts