• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weight lifting & disc golf?

DiscFifty

Banned
What weight lifting workouts do peeps recommend that will help disc golf? I'm guessing you want more reps at light weights (for lean muscle) compared to heavy weights for bulking up? Thx.

Only thing that would help disc golf is if you are really out of shape and build up a little bit of muscle.

It's a technique game.

I use a little 3lb weight to work out my elbow and forearm sometimes. But it is more for rehab than muscle building. I have something wrong in the elbow, and once a month or so I have to strengthen the tendons and ligaments around the injury.

Weights aren't that helpful for disc golf but working out the core in general is. The most bang for your buck in the gym would be cardio(for obvious reasons) and some kind of yoga/deep stretching(to build flexibility and strengthen your core).

Holy ****, OP. First off, forget all the crap you've learned from old wives tales.

News flash:, "high reps light weight for lean muscle isn't true in a y way, shape or form. Muscle fascia grows by small tears and then repairing said tears. The definitive factors for that are progressive workload and time under tension. High repetitions at light weight are only good for one thing: cardio; and that's only if you are doing them at high speed with improper form (a la crossfit) which I don't reccomend. I seriously can't believe that in this day and age the old wives tale of "low weight high reps"persists. I also can't believe people still use the phrase "lean muscle" as if there was some other type of muscle.

Okay. Deep breath.

Now, if want specific disc golf relsted.exercises, others have already posted what you need. Shoulders, legs and core. It wouldn't hurt to throw in some grip exercises as well. From your post I assume that you know your way around the gym but probably don't go every day. So here's a split I would dio if I were you:

Day 1:
Overhead Dumbell Press (4 sets, 12-15 reps)
Dumbell Lateral Raises (3 sets, 15 reps)
Dumbell Front Raises (3 sets, 15 reps)
Low Cable rows (4 sets, 12-15 reps)
Barbell Bicep Curls (3 sets, 10-12 reps)
Triceps Push downs (3 sets, 10-12 reps)

DAY 2

Leg Extension Machine (5 sets, 15-20 reps)
Hamstring curls (5 sets, 15-20 reps)
Calf Raise Machine (150 reps total)
Leg Press (5 sets, 15-20 reps)
Barbell Squat (3 sets, 12-15 reps)

DAY 3

Bench Press (3 sets, 12-15 reps)
Dumbell Flyes (4 sets, 15-20 reps)
Weighted sit - ups (5 sets, 25 reps)
Hanging leg raises (150 total)
Roman Chair sit ups (100 total)

Also try and do 250 crunches and 150 push ups per day at home. Try taking a yoga class or using DDP Yoga (which I use) to maintain and even increase your flexibility.

If you have a Crossfit gym in your area, it might be worth looking into and speaking with their trainers after you've developed a good base. Crossfit is all about functional strength so it should really help. Caution though: many crossfitter s are huge douche canoes.

Lastly, please forget all the old wives tales of working out. They will only hinder your progress. Additionally, don't waste your money on stupid supplements that you will just pee out. A multivitamin in the morning, fish oil for your joints and protein after your workout are all you need.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Weights aren't that helpful for disc golf but working out the core in general is. The most bang for your buck in the gym would be cardio(for obvious reasons) and some kind of yoga/deep stretching(to build flexibility and strengthen your core).

Wrong on so many levels. The most "bang for your buck" is certainly not stretching or cardio. It would be weight lifting and core exercises. Specifically weight lifting focusing on the.shoulders and legs as I posted above.

Weights can help any activity tremendously. Everybody's body reacts differently but building strength will help you in any physical endeavor. I don't know why people, especially on here, seem to think that the second you touch a weight you blow up like a balloon and suddenly lose all your disc golfing skills, form and technique. It simply is not true.

If your gym has a good cable machine I would recommend throwing that into the mix as well.

Wrong on so many levels. The most "bang for your buck" is certainly not stretching or cardio. It would be weight lifting and core exercises. Specifically weight lifting focusing on the.shoulders and legs as I posted above.

Weights can help any activity tremendously. Everybody's body reacts differently but building strength will help you in any physical endeavor. I don't know why people, especially on here, seem to think that the second you touch a weight you blow up like a balloon and suddenly lose all your disc golfing skills, form and technique. It simply is not true.

Then why does simon and will out throw Avery? It's technique in disc golf NOT brute strength. Anyways, your talking about "gym strength" which doesn't translate to much. That routine you posted is somewhat ridiculous, your talking about isolating muscles and "getting big".

If you want actual FUNCTIONAL STRENGTH that will help you in everyday life no matter what you do, do some kettle bell routines and full body workouts. This will strengthen your core strength and also help balance and flexibility. It can be done in-expensive and at home. And also a better workout for the time because your not working one muscle at a time. You incorporate groups and sets of muscles while engaging your core.

Nothing inherently wrong with Andy's routine and it's of course better than doing nothing. But it's just not as effective plain and simple.

Climo used to lift in his heyday, but later in his career toned it down to mainly pushups, bands, therapy balls, and isometrics and lots of stretching. All the top PGA golfers workout.

kclimo1b.jpg

Not the best pic, but anybody seen Jason Day's legs?
Jason-Day-anchor-482x446.jpg

This discussion is stupid. If you want to lift, don't do it to get better at disc golf. Do it because being stronger and in better shape will help you out in everyday life.

Strength can help excellent technique. It's not a sure thing though. Lift to improve your life, work on technique to improve your golf.

Then why does simon and will out throw Avery? It's technique in disc golf NOT brute strength. Anyways, your talking about "gym strength" which doesn't translate to much. That routine you posted is somewhat ridiculous, your talking about isolating muscles and "getting big".

If you want actual FUNCTIONAL STRENGTH that will help you in everyday life no matter what you do, do some kettle bell routines and full body workouts. This will strengthen your core strength and also help balance and flexibility. It can be done in-expensive and at home. And also a better workout for the time because your not working one muscle at a time. You incorporate groups and sets of muscles while engaging your core.

Nothing inherently wrong with Andy's routine and it's of course better than doing nothing. But it's just not as effective plain and simple.

OP: for the love of God don't listen to this jabroni. He is perpetuating the same old wives tales. Si.ply lifting weights does not make someone big, as this knucklehead infers. GGetting big is the result of diet and rest more than a simple gym routine.

Another old wives tale is the "functional strength" adage. All strength is functional. That's how muscles work. They are all about function. It's why they exist.

Also, I Disc Golf is likely not a licensed and bonded personal trainer. I am. I have competed in just about every physical activity under the sun. I'm not some idiot who is trying to make you look like Schwarzenegger.

Full body work outs CAN be effective if you have a trainer or dedicated partner and are willing to do it for two to three hours, three to four times a week. Trust me when I say the routing I posted is quite effective, is not "ridiculous" and is neither about "getting big" or "gym strength". I reiterate: there is no such thing as gym strength. It's a term that should be obliterated from use.

If you want to improve distance in disc golf, it will help to have strong shoulders, legs and core. However, you must implement other body part exercises as well to avoid muscular imbalance. My routine provides this. If you are not satisfied with it, or feel it won't work for you, please consult a personal trainer or exercise physiologist and don't listen to the old wives tales that continue to circulate. Many personal trainers provide a one - time free consultation to gain your business. They can work with you hand in hand, judging by your body type and general level of fitness on what will work best for you. There is no right answer to be found on the Internet without a trainer personally evaluating you. There are, however, plenty of wrong answers like inferring that lifting weights will ruin your technique and that people who lift weights are brainless morons, as been inferred already in this post.

This discussion is stupid. If you want to lift, don't do it to get better at disc golf. Do it because being stronger and in better shape will help you out in everyday life.

Strength can help excellent technique. It's not a sure thing though. Lift to improve your life, work on technique to improve your golf.

Perhaps contradicting a bit of what I, myself, said, but this is probably the wisest advice in the thread. Great points, Victor B. Lifting weights can't hurt your Disc Golfing (barring injury) but improving in DG involves focusing on DG.

Then why does simon and will out throw Avery?
I don't think Simon or Will has thrown further than Avery. Wiggins throws the furthest and he is fairly built. Christian Sandstrom who held the distance record before Wiggins was into body building.

Last edited:
if andy jb and sidewinder played doubles against lizotte alone they would use andy's first shot, and then sidewinder's second shot would land in the vicinity of simons drive.

if andy jb and sidewinder played doubles against lizotte alone they would use andy's first shot, and then sidewinder's second shot would land in the vicinity of simons drive.
By your logic of argument, I'll bet it takes two of your drives to reach my first.