• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weight Spread

Nice Drive Kid

Eagle Member
I'm buying two TeeBirds. I want them in different weights to be used in different situations. How many grams apart should they be to ensure that they won't be the same disc? I'm thinking about one max weight (175) and one lower (167). Any thoughts on the weight spread?

nice drive kid said:
I'm buying two TeeBirds. I want them in different weights to be used in different situations. How many grams apart should they be to ensure that they won't be the same disc? I'm thinking about one max weight (175) and one lower (167). Any thoughts on the weight spread?
I guess it depends on what you're planning to do with them.

PS. Star Teebirds max weight is 174g afaik :)

tumpsi said:

I'm actually not planning on using them much at all. My buddy lost my Champ Leopard and said he'd pay for it, so I figured instead of buying another Leopard I'd get two TeeBirds and let him beat the crap out of them until they're wicked straight. Is the TeeBird good into wind, even in mid-160 weights? I guess that's my only concern.

nice drive kid said:
tumpsi said:

I'm actually not planning on using them much at all. My buddy lost my Champ Leopard and said he'd pay for it, so I figured instead of buying another Leopard I'd get two TeeBirds and let him beat the crap out of them until they're wicked straight. Is the TeeBird good into wind, even in mid-160 weights? I guess that's my only concern.
Haven't thrown anything but max weight. They're not Firebirds, but they do
handle some wind.

I do this a lot with my discs...have a light and heavy in the same mold. The weight difference allows me to shape more lines with the same mold. Its also nice to nut up to the heavy mold for wind and crunch the light for uphill shots.

I enjoy 175/169 combo...but I throw mostly 175's. 173/167 would be good too....even 170/165 for some.

i do this with alot of my drivers and ive found that a 172/165 combo gets the greatest number of lines for my power level (400)

172 and 165? A 7 gram spread is tiny. 7 grams is a fifth of an ounce. They'll likely be functionally identical.

If you want them to act at all different, go max weight and 150 or something.

Crossed Reality said:
172 and 165? A 7 gram spread is tiny. 7 grams is a fifth of an ounce. They'll likely be functionally identical.

:roll: does the trick for me, my 165s flip up or turn waaaay easier than 170+. 150 is just too light unless you throw like a girl

Jesse B 707 said:
Crossed Reality said:

:roll: does the trick for me, my 165s flip up or turn waaaay easier than 170+. 150 is just too light unless you throw like a girl

I agree. A 7 gram difference in weight will usually create noticeable flight differences in discs.

I'd have to say 90% of players would notice a 7 gram difference.

A disc 7 grams lighter would be substantially easier to flip up IMO.

I'd be suprised if I could tell a difference of less than 10 grams.

The more power you have, the more likely you'd notice subtle changes in disc performance. But unless you're going 425+ I don't think there is enough difference between a 174 and 167 to make them substantially different discs.

Get something around 150-60.

dflaschiii said:
The more power you have, the more likely you'd notice subtle changes in disc performance. But unless you're going 425+ I don't think there is enough difference between a 174 and 167 to make them substantially different discs.
I throw 400+, and I can tell you is the disc 175 or 170, if it's a mold that I carry.
I bet 425+ powered players can tell even 2 or 3g differences.

nice drive kid said:

I do the same. I use the lower weight as fairway/workhorse because I can get better glide with less effort. So I have about 3 times the number of sub-170 gm Teebirds when compared to 175gm. The tbirds I like best always seem to be in the 164-167 gm range. The max wt models I use for hyzer shots or straight with more fade.

Latest posts