• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Westside Black Basket

Qikly

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
This caught my eye in Dynamic Discs recent email.

Anyone ever use one of these? I'd be curious to know how they compare to DGA's M-14 and comparable portable baskets. I like the look a bit more, and they seem to have a few more chains then the popular baskets at that price point.

Black isn't the most visually-friendly color, but there are easy fixes to that (colorful flag, etc).

Yea, and they may as well color the chains green/brown, so it's completely invisible. :|

"The Black Basket is meant mainly for non-permanent installation such as home or summer cottage use"

basically its meant to blend into the surroundings of a backyard with the black color. not for courses.

I checked one out on display at DD a few months ago. Or maybe just a month I can't remember. Early winter. I didn't know the price until recently but it's pretty good at that price. It's better than an instep for sure. I think it's a little better than the m-14 too. Definitely is when it comes to the chains.

Some stuff I didn't like about it was the finish and color scheme. Both of which you can fix with a few cans of good spray paint. The galvanizing was rough. Like chew up your putter rough. I'd buy one and I might one day but I'd be prepared to paint it. With some use I'm sure the rough parts would smooth out I just worry it would eat up a stack of putters in the process.

Is it any better than the Lat64 baskets they had at Country Club? Those things were terrible.

Something tells me you aren't likely to find a better basket that retails for the same $170.

Is it any better than the Lat64 baskets they had at Country Club? Those things were terrible.

You didn't like those? We use about 4 of them for putting league. I like them a little more than the Innova ones currently on Jones East. I still like many other brands better.

I wouldn't call these better. The Lat baskets even if a person doesn't care for them would be a professional grade course install type basket and cost several hundred. These are a nice alternative to the portables like Instep, M-14, and the others. I would say they have a better set of chains for catching then all of those but you get what you pay for in a basket and these are no different. It's a cheap finish. I don't know how they will weather but I'd paint it all but the chains with a good rustoleum type spray paint before I used it.

Something tells me you aren't likely to find a better basket that retails for the same $170.

That's true especially since they have a good double set of chains. I still think it's a horrible finish and the actual basket part is a little janky. For the price though it's a great option. They aren't super portable. It's not a break down and toss in the car trunk all the time type of rig no matter what the description claims. You install it and leave it up and may occasionally break it back down. They're light enough to pick up and move around the yard though. The base seemed solid to me but that was on the flat floor of the shop.

since when has spray painting something made it better ?

Quite a few times for me actually. If you buy quality paint. If you want a rough likely not to weather well galvanized finish that chews up putters you could keep it. I prefer a better weather resistance and smoothed out finish that does less damage to the putters I'm throwing. You're commenting about a basket you haven't personally seen though right?

Thanks for all the first-hand info, Steeze. Doesn't seem like a bad option to have in your yard.

Not a bad option at all and you wouldn't have to paint it if you didn't want but me personally I hated the rough quality of the finish on it. That was one of the only things that stuck out to me as a real negative of the basket. It's a good price though and is one option that wouldn't require extra chains or offer no chance at decent catching as is. If I didn't have the Instep with my modifications I'd probably buy one Monday and call it good. I think I'm just going to wait until the end of the summer and wait to see if DD goes ahead with their intentions of a full course quality basket with custom options. I want a lime green powder coated monster that is as good as the Disc nation or DGA types. Not a fan of the big bands like you find on the innova baskets.

Quite a few times for me actually. If you buy quality paint. If you want a rough likely not to weather well galvanized finish that chews up putters you could keep it. I prefer a better weather resistance and smoothed out finish that does less damage to the putters I'm throwing. You're commenting about a basket you haven't personally seen though right?

1. quality paint is never aerosol spray paint.

2. galvanized finishes are higher quality than spray paint.

3. galvanized finishes do not chew up putters.

4. smooth finishes to not weather better than textured finishes.

5. i use IONS BRAH they aren't damaged by baskets.

no i have not seen the black basket because i dont live at DD, but your claims are silly.

The price point isn't bad but the fact its black is a downside. The color makes it a bad basket to be on a course. There isn't that much black on it but even silver baskets can be hard to see when its getting dark. I currently use a Innova Discatcher Sport for practice putting. I want to see one of these in person to compare it to the Discatcher Sport. They're close in price so it will be interesting to see which is better quality.

1. quality paint is never aerosol spray paint.

2. galvanized finishes are higher quality than spray paint.

3. galvanized finishes do not chew up putters.

4. smooth finishes to not weather better than textured finishes.

5. i use IONS BRAH they aren't damaged by baskets.

no i have not seen the black basket because i dont live at DD, but your claims are silly.

Congratulations on being able to count to five and make a list, BRAH.

I never said a smooth finish has anything to do with weathering. A janky galvanizing that doesn't cover every piece of surface however does not weather so great it rusts easily.

So instead of letting a bad dip full of sharp pieces do their damage I would choose to smooth it up with some good weather friendly spray paint. Why you have a hard time reading what I actually said alludes me.

Someone commented about not liking the color scheme and I commented I didn't like the finish. Then I said both of those can be remedied with painting it. No where did I claim you HAD to do so.

Congratulations also on your Ions and them being unable to get damaged. If you like to putt with those that's great. Not everyone does and many use a base plastic exactly for the wear and like a grippy plastic not one that is slick or overmolded.

Thumbs up, Brah. :thmbup:

To everyone who does care about the health of their putters consider also I saw what might have been a prototype of single bad galvanizing. They might have tried a little harder with the finish before shipping the containers over to the states. Now I'm off to make a full suit of body armor out of Ions.

To everyone who does care about the health of their putters consider also I saw what might have been a prototype of single bad galvanizing. They might have tried a little harder with the finish before shipping the containers over to the states. Now I'm off to make a full suit of body armor out of Ions.

When you finish that suit of body armor, you should send it to nolangherity so he can galvanize it for you.....since you don't know anything about paint:p

When you finish that suit of body armor, you should send it to nolangherity so he can galvanize it for you.....since you don't know anything about paint:p

Might just do that.

Actually my response to him is, baskets are different for everyone, spend 180$ and find out. He likes to tell people that maybe he wanted to hear that for the basket instead of a personal opinion he can take or leave. Which is what I thought we did here. ;)

these seem like an awesome deal, y u calling it a black basket 80 percent of it is silver. Def gunna pick one up for the home course. Ive gone the instep route for my 2 other baskets around the 70-80 price point, but now you cant get them that cheap. Also insteps need modding one of mine is tied chains and the other is bullseye conversion, This DD basket seems ready to go

these seem like an awesome deal, y u calling it a black basket 80 percent of it is silver. Def gunna pick one up for the home course. Ive gone the instep route for my 2 other baskets around the 70-80 price point, but now you cant get them that cheap. Also insteps need modding one of mine is tied chains and the other is bullseye conversion, This DD basket seems ready to go

It's called the black basket. Says it on the box even. It's made by westside discs and sold by DD for the US market. Not sure if other retailers will sell them or not.

Latest posts