• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Westside Black Basket

attachment.php

First impressions.
Nice construction, solid when assembled. The base connects to the bottom pole with a carriage bolt and is the only time a tool is needed. The rest is studs and welded nuts inside the pole so it just screws together or apart into 5 peaces. LOUD. Catches. A solid buy for a practice basket.

Black Basket vs Discather Sport. I paid $150 shipped for the sport vs $170 shipped for the Black Basket. Same chain weight & count but the sport is only outer chains while the Black basket has 12 outer and 6 inner (Mach II). They weigh about the same. Worth the extra $20 to get the black basket over the sport.

Black Basket vs DB-5. I'm a huge fan of the DB-5 and think it is the best lower cost basket available ($210?). The basket and chain assembly on the DB-5 are thicker gauge and the entire basket is galvanized so it will last a life time vs a painted basket that will show wear and tear and is prone to rust. The black basket may catch better but for practice use it really isn't all about catching. However the DB-5 is heavier due to the much better materials used and super thick chain.

If I was going to take a basket camping to move around and play safari golf I would take the Black Basket over any of my 9 baskets.

Happy to answer any other basket questions.

Attachments

• black basket.jpg
    black basket.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 471
95% the $70 basket you can buy at costco... only the circle sign on top and the bolt to hold the base are different.

Here is a side by side between the Instep and Westside Black basket for comparison.

Attachments

• Westside_Instep_basket.jpg
    Westside_Instep_basket.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 240
95% the $70 basket you can buy at costco... only the circle sign on top and the bolt to hold the base are different.

Looks similar in how the top and bottom poles screw together with the basket in between.
But the rest is not Costco (park & sun).
Top is different, and the base is different.

First impressions.
Nice construction, solid when assembled. The base connects to the bottom pole with a carriage bolt and is the only time a tool is needed. The rest is studs and welded nuts inside the pole so it just screws together or apart into 5 peaces. LOUD. Catches. A solid buy for a practice basket.

Black Basket vs Discather Sport. I paid $150 shipped for the sport vs $170 shipped for the Black Basket. Same chain weight & count but the sport is only outer chains while the Black basket has 12 outer and 6 inner (Mach II). They weigh about the same. Worth the extra $20 to get the black basket over the sport.

Black Basket vs DB-5. I'm a huge fan of the DB-5 and think it is the best lower cost basket available ($210?). The basket and chain assembly on the DB-5 are thicker gauge and the entire basket is galvanized so it will last a life time vs a painted basket that will show wear and tear and is prone to rust. The black basket may catch better but for practice use it really isn't all about catching. However the DB-5 is heavier due to the much better materials used and super thick chain.

If I was going to take a basket camping to move around and play safari golf I would take the Black Basket over any of my 9 baskets.

Happy to answer any other basket questions.

Thanks for the great review!!! You said that you like the Black over the Sport. Can you elaborate a little more, or is it just because of the chain layout?

Thanks for the great review!!! You said that you like the Black over the Sport. Can you elaborate a little more, or is it just because of the chain layout?

Chain layout is better yes.
The basket "hoops" on both my Sports are not welded where the rod comes together.
I think the topper cylinder looks cheap on the Sport
The yellow paint is prone to fade and I'm at 7,500' elevation (closer to the sun).
the single ring to gather the chains at the bottom of the sport promotes cut through vs the double ring on the BB, one for inner and one for outer.
The BB makes a better ching than the sport, sport sounds cheap on impact.
The BB breaks down with no tools assuming you leave the base and bottom pole assembled.

When I get the chance I'll take a side by side photo.

Chain layout is better yes.
The basket "hoops" on both my Sports are not welded where the rod comes together.
I think the topper cylinder looks cheap on the Sport
The yellow paint is prone to fade and I'm at 7,500' elevation (closer to the sun).
the single ring to gather the chains at the bottom of the sport promotes cut through vs the double ring on the BB, one for inner and one for outer.
The BB makes a better ching than the sport, sport sounds cheap on impact.
The BB breaks down with no tools assuming you leave the base and bottom pole assembled.

When I get the chance I'll take a side by side photo.

Thanks again!

Wow that finish looks nothing like the proto did. That looks shiny and a good quality. Chains look way better and the basket metal is looking good. Even the black painted areas are a glossy smooth surface. On the proto it was a rough metal with a flat black cheap looking spray job. That doesn't look bad for the price.

Wow that finish looks nothing like the proto did. That looks shiny and a good quality. Chains look way better and the basket metal is looking good. Even the black painted areas are a glossy smooth surface. On the proto it was a rough metal with a flat black cheap looking spray job. That doesn't look bad for the price.

Sorry forgot about that, yes the finish is top notch.

I am really starting to like this basket. I just wish it was resistant to rusting if left outside. :(

Looks like a good basket for a great price. My only concern is the size. It seems to have a taller catching area. To me, that means I may get use to the larger area when practice putting and end up missing more putts on the course.

Thoughts?

Won a BB in a raffle today, got it home, threw a few putts at it. At first glance i wasnt impressed in the least. Looks very cheap.

Pro's;
I like the screw together construction, great idea for a semi portable basket
Catches fairly well, most good putts stay in even though the chains are pretty light guage
Its light. Comparable to a DC sport, maybe a bit lighter

Con's;
Where the chains attach, its just a loop. I assume this will be a PITA one day when trying to assemble and a chain or two has come off the loop

Light guage metal. I understand its portable, but it is a bit flimsy. Some of the top where the chains are held at (the spokes for lack of a better term) are slightly bent, likely happened in the box prior to it being put together for the raffle.

The stand is made from the same flimsy guage metal as the cage. Would be nice for it to be a bit sturdier there

I would like to see this compared to the Disc Nation Freedom basket.

Hard to compare. I own a Liberty & Black Basket and am assuming the Liberty is the same gauge materials as the Freedom. So the DN is much heavier gauge construction. but both are painted.

The Freedom costs about $50 more, that is significant cost difference when the Black Basket goes for $170.

The DN bolts together so you would need tools to take it apart vs the BB that screws together by hand. The BB is also significantly lighter weight. If you want a basket to take on a camping trip the BB is one of the best options I've seen.

I've never putt on the Freedom but the Black Basket catches about as well as the Liberty.

My Black Basket fell over in high wind several times but it dose come with stakes to secure it down and prevent this.

Someone said that it looks like it has a taller catching area than most baskets, and that was my first impression too when I saw my friend's "Black Basket". When we tested it out, every putt that hit the left side chains spit out. Sure every basket does that, but that's just something I noticed.

Thanks for the review! You've got a nice collection of baskets!
One question, and I'm not trying to be a smartass, im genuinely curious.
You said:

Considering the sun is over 92 million miles away, have you noticed that things fade quicker at that elevation? Does it have more to do with the air being thinner up there than the comparitively small difference in elevation?

Sorry to sidetrack here, just something I was wondering about. :hfive:

Latest posts