• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Westside King

C Short

Bogey Member
Ok,you guys that throw Kings. Which one do you guys find to be more understable or flippy the TP or VIP plastic? I have one in TP that I love, just wondering if I could expect a similar flight out of VIP.

I have the TP, was a great STABLE disc with great distance and predictable fade at the end.

I must have hit a tree with it or something, it looks 9/10, but whenever I throw this disc it turns HARD and dies, I can't believe it, it was my go to disc.

I can only use this disc now as a hyzer flipper, but still not that great of a hyzer flip disc probably because of the high speed rating on the disc, just too hard to get that much snap on it.

My advice, dont hit trees!

I use the king as my pure distance driver. I use both tp & vip: 2 vip in 171, 2 tp in 171 & 174.

My 171 tp, I always hyzer flip it on tailwind (from 4-8 o'clock tailwind). Love watching it turn and glide then coming back hard at the very end...some mad D there :thmbup: I also enjoy using this one when I need it to finish right. Rip in to it on a hyzer line and watch it flatten out then glide to the right and come out of it right before it lands :hfive: Or release it flat and I makes a great roller as well.

The vip are both the same weight. I throw them when there's a litttttle headwind and want the distance. It will turn some then cruse for bit before hooking up. Definitely more stable than my 171 tp.

My 174 tp (new) is used for heavier headwind. It may or may not turn, depending on the release point, snap, and headwind.

To me, tp and vip have similar flight path. Some are more abrupt than others.

Keep in mind from my experience and what I've read as well, Lat 64 & W'side discs perform better with a smooth and clean throw and they can handle a good snap.

In general and weights being equal, vip is normally more stable.

Please speak also to dome. I've seen some flat VIP but never thrown them. I'm guessing they are different.

I have a 169 TP that on turnover lines or tailwinds is my longest driver ever. I also roll it.

Grabbed a 174 VIP today and it is much more stable. Same dome. Could be plastic. Could be weight. Could be a lack of wear.

I have the same question, BTW, with respect to the Northman. I have a laser straight 169 Northman in TP and I'd love the same disc but a little more stable. I'm thinkIng 175 VIP.

The only ones I have thrown have been TP and insta rollers. But they are great for that. I have yet to throw one that even comes near the flight ratings.

Please speak also to dome. I've seen some flat VIP but never thrown them. I'm guessing they are different.

My 171 tp is flat once it passes the shoulder While the other 3 has the very slightest dome; you don't notice it unless you're looking for it. I prefer the slightest dome b/c I love the glide & stability.

How's everyone else liking there king? If you don't like your king, I'm always looking for more in the 171-173.

The vip is a little more stable than the TP but it gets flippy too, but not so much more that it's not controllable.

/\/\/\/\

I have a blue VIP 172g 7.5/10 if anyones interested by the way...

Ok thanks for all the info guys. Mine is 170 TP with a slight dome. It has a sweet flight on it every time I rip in to it, a little hyzer release it will flip up flat, cruise straight for a while then start turning right but always fights back left at the very end. I might go ahead and try a VIP too. I'll let you guys know how it does for me.