• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Sword

My distance lineup has been the Sword, Trespass, Giant, Enforcer. I was throwing worlds, but they were a lot harder to power down for control, so the Trespass replaced the Worlds I had in my bag. I throw the Giant more than the Enforcer and use the Enforcer for only what it was meant to do. Control distance hyzer shots 280-380. At my league last night throw, I had some great shots with my Sword, turnovers going uphill and around trees and it just holds and glides to the right. Love the sword for those kind of shots.

Sword is my general distance driver. It flips but is usually pretty predictable and finishes straight. I throw a King for gonzo distance but it's a wild horse, prone to flipping out too much. Trespass is a good complement to the Sword, you can get a little sloppy with it and not worry about it flipping much on you, like a worn-in Destroyer. My Giants are really beefy and generally only come out in stiff headwinds.

HOw would you guys compare the Trespass to the Sword? I lost a beat mid 160s Trespass that had turn into a Straight/slight turn over disc and I am missing it BADLY. Does the Sword have the fade of the Trespass, or is it a bit straighter?

HOw would you guys compare the Trespass to the Sword? I lost a beat mid 160s Trespass that had turn into a Straight/slight turn over disc and I am missing it BADLY. Does the Sword have the fade of the Trespass, or is it a bit straighter?

Less fade. It's not too hard to turn it over if you try.

If your beat mid 160s Trespass is like my seasoned high 160s Trespass I would say the Sword is a lot straighter. My Trespass likes a lot of lateral movement now, most (opto) Swords I've thrown have pretty good HSS (not new Trespass HSS but consistent) and love to finish straight forward. You can flip a Sword over but they seem pretty dependable if you're clean or not throwing them into a lot of wind.

I throw a 155 Blizzard Boss, and a 167 Champion Tern, I'm looking for a Westside equivalent for my Tern, or something slightly more overstable. I have a 171 Stag that Is nice and overstable. My boss and Tern i can get out to about 320' or so. My Tern goes pretty straights for me, but I can get some pretty good turnover shots out of it. Would a 170 sword fall somewhere inbetween my boss and tern? I got a 157 blizzard sorcerer just for fun, but it flips for me almost constantly, but not to the point where it crashes and burns, just fades right for a million miles. kinda cool, but not what i wanted it for haha. Granted i dont exactly have the best form, but i do have to throw it on a bit of a hyzer every time to get it to do anything but go right.

Heavier Sorcerer.

Thats kind of what i was thinking, the thing is i really like the idea of it being more HHS, since from what im reading in general the sorcerer is actually more understable than the sword?

or a boatman more of what im looking for? Im getting mixed reviews some people say its flippy, others say its a meat hook

Thats kind of what i was thinking, the thing is i really like the idea of it being more HHS, since from what im reading in general the sorcerer is actually more understable than the sword?

or a boatman more of what im looking for? Im getting mixed reviews some people say its flippy, others say its a meat hook

Well, there really is no Tern replacement. It's going to be the best driver made for people with it's power. Sorcerer would be closest.

Swords are nice and I had a fling with them. Biggest problem, to me is, they beat in faster than Innova stuff. Even the VIPs. A heavy VIP should start out every bit as stable as Champ Terns, and maybe more so. And yes, more stable that the Sorcerers I've had. They will not stay there. TP even less so.

Well, there really is no Tern replacement. It's going to be the best driver made for people with it's power. Sorcerer would be closest.

Swords are nice and I had a fling with them. Biggest problem, to me is, they beat in faster than Innova stuff. Even the VIPs. A heavy VIP should start out every bit as stable as Champ Terns, and maybe more so. And yes, more stable that the Sorcerers I've had. They will not stay there. TP even less so.

Sweet, this is awesome advice. I might take a swing at the sword then, just to see. It sounds like its right between my tern and boss? it just looks like fun to throw haha.

I always found the Sword too understable - takes to turning much easier than expected. When hyzerflipped, it can get some great distance, but I prefer being able to hold a flat release and keeping a straighter line. I found the same problem (to an even greater extent) with the Renegade. I think Trilogy's sweet spot for drivers are the Trespass/Flow for distance and Metalflake Elasto Sampo/Fusion Escape for slightly shorter controlled shots. For lower speeds I'll stick with my Prodigy. :D

Sword is a disc that will tell you where you are at power-wise.

I have an Air Version that has become flippy for me, and an upper 160s VIP that is not.

Like this disc as my high speed disc, kind of what the Wraith used to be for me.

Oh, and Boatman is very overstable.

I found a 166gm VIP Orange Sparkle Boatman for Uber cheap. I picked it up expecting it to be stable with a nice fade, for my arm speed, even being lighter. I threw it for the first time today on a 365ft open hole. It flexed out and dropped just short of where my Sword landed. I was NOT expecting to turn a Boatman at all after hearing about how stable they are all the time.

I pity the fool that doesn't like throwing Swords.

The Sword is a hyzer-flip machine; I like to power mine hard on a hyzer and let it flip up to straight ... less hyzer and I get a predictable flip up and late turn. The VIP Sword tends to have more HSS - the TP better for long turns that hold the line to the ground. Not a disc I'd use a bunch in a headwind, but my favorite driver for sure.

Swords, unless max weight and pop top, throw like rollers or giant sky anny discs. I've got a pink 170 vip that with a strong hyzer release at full power just flips over to roller after getting to flat. I have a 173 that is more stable, but its still not reliable in much more than a breeze. Of course I'm also trying to throw them 400ft. I was hoping the sword would be a faster flow.....

Hey everyone so I have a comparison/recommendation question regarding the sword!

First off, I'm a noodle arm! I can throw my fairway drivers (Tern, Seer, Hatchet, stuff like that) about 280, maybe a little over. My distance drivers (blizz Boss, champ Tern, Crank SS, etc.) 300 - 320 or a bit more on a good day. So I was looking into getting a driver that is pretty reliable and not to understable since my blizzard Boss is pretty well beat in since it was a hand me down, but its still not truly understable by any means, although i can get it to keep right if I snap the hell out of it and there's any kind of a descent breeze. I'm looking for something that's not a meat hook that I can shoot fairly straight with not a lot of turn and a descent fade, this let me to think about a 169g VIP Sword, or a DD Hysteria. I know westside/lat numbers tend to be more understable than advertised, so I was thinking the VIP plastic will make up for that. from what I gather these two discs are rated the same except +1 speed for the sword, but I am guessing that the DD hysteria is a lot truer to the numbers. But that westside glide is nothing to scoff at!! Since I'm not exactly a power arm I was thinking a VIP sword would be a good fit for this slot in my bag because the distance potential seems to be much higher with just +1 speed between these two discs. my 168 12x champ tern is a great disc, but the thinner rim isn't quite as comfortable for me to drive with as some slightly wider stuff. I dont have big hands, just like being able to get a good grip! Thoughts?! :D

Latest posts