• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Warship

BT Warships are real, not sure if they can be found in stock, even here in Finland. My friend loves them, yet after digging through most of the department stores last summer (they don't sell BT stuff at DG stores apart from putters I think), he could only get his hands on one additional on top of the one he threw from the early days.

threw a couple warships today. not a bad mold! pretty neutral, pops up from a little hyzer and goes very straight. i could see this taking over the mid/fairway shot for a lot of people, pretty underrated.

Yep, I'm still bagging a couple. Very straight disc. Very little turn or fade. Nice and neutral. I really enjoy it.

some discs are just made for certain people. for me the warship was made for my hands. such a great flier. lately I'm liking it a lot on say 80% shots off the tee. if i let it i can throw it on almost any line as long as its calm. I am finding myself forcing the warship into shots id normally switch to another disc for and its showing me some great versatility. I have a flatter tp i have bagged for three years now and i have not noticed a ton of change in flight even though its one of my most thrown discs. If i were to minimize my molds id roll domey vip and flat tp with a verdict on the other end.

Bread and butter disc. I rely on it for drives, approaches. Great disc.

Gazelles and Warships. Explain to me how they're the same, explain to me how they're different.

Pic related;

9aKuyWW.png

Depends on the gazelle.

They fly farther, for one. More than what is indicated on that flight chart. They're a true fairway and you can see by looking at the rim width if you have them side by side. You won't want to power it down to replace a straight flying mid. I'm sure you know, as a fellow gazelle thrower. :)

I'd say a star gazelle flies closest to a warship, but easily farther. Neutral and glidey. A little turn, a little fade. Warship has less fade. I could probably throw my cfr glo farther too, but the cfr would have more hss and more lss.

Warships are true tweeners, whereas gazelles are slow fairways. I don't think they make warships in overstable varieties like they do with the gazelle.

Interesting, since the Gazelle was my primary go-to driver for years... The first time I picked up a 'ship, it was love at first grope!!

The Warship has a ton more glide than the Gazelle. Less Fade. But very similar flight patterns in the end.

Kodachrome - I use the Bard as my slightly shorter/OS compliment to my 'ships. I throw a LOT of mids/fairways they are the bulk of my bag so I run TP Bard/New VIP Warship/Beat TP Warship/TP Tursas as my primary setup.

Interesting, since the Gazelle was my primary go-to driver for years... The first time I picked up a 'ship, it was love at first grope!!

The Warship has a ton more glide than the Gazelle. Less Fade. But very similar flight patterns in the end.

Kodachrome - I use the Bard as my slightly shorter/OS compliment to my 'ships. I throw a LOT of mids/fairways they are the bulk of my bag so I run TP Bard/New VIP Warship/Beat TP Warship/TP Tursas as my primary setup.

MonkeyGrass, that is exactly my primary setup for mids, too. Meets all my needs!!

Depends on the gazelle.

They fly farther, for one. More than what is indicated on that flight chart. They're a true fairway and you can see by looking at the rim width if you have them side by side. You won't want to power it down to replace a straight flying mid. I'm sure you know, as a fellow gazelle thrower. :)

I still only have DX Gazelles cause all the Stars and Pros from the Pro Shop got snapped up in my weight. They have them lighter and heavier than I like. :( I am really basically cycling DX until I find a CFR Glow in 165g.

I actually throw Warships too, but they're out of the bag right now.

And the reason I bring this up, is because I found myself going for the beat Gazelle on a shot where I would always have gone for one of my two Warships in the past.

And I ended up with nearly the same exact putt as I usually get when going Warship off of the tee.

I found a fresh DX Gazelle and the VIP Warship I had to be fairly similar in flight. The Warship fades a little less but for me I was getting about the same distance.

The biggest difference for me between the two was the Warship feels like a mid in my hand whereas the Gazelle feels like a driver.

MonkeyGrass, that is exactly my primary setup for mids, too. Meets all my needs!!

Word! The Bard / VIP Warship / TP Warship / Tursas combination is midrange gold... :clap:

I don't find myself throwing the really overstable mids much, so I'm currently running 178vip ship, 173 vip ship, 180 lucid evidence, 176 opto fuse, 169 gold line fuse. It seems to cover everything for me. If I need the beef or its real windy I can always throw a mace in there.

The Warship is a great disc. Very straight, very long, very versatile. Very underrated.
It doesn't like headwind or bad form though.

I'm always hoping for Westside to bring out a discs that is between the Warship and Bard - that would perfect the mid lineup they have. And of course get them in base plastic altogether

I finally found where this one shines for me. Par 4 seconds. Some of my drives just don't leave me in comfortable putter range. My Truth gets squirrely at full power. My fairways will often go too far and I'm not really good at partials with those. Birdies a couple this week using Warship on my second shot. There may be a tee or two for it as well. I'll have to experiment.

I was gifted a VIP Air Warship the other day, I got the exact same impression. It was helpful reaching TeeBird-like shots my M2 was too short for without being too flippy.

What's the deal with Air Warships? Was it like one run and done?

The Warship is a great disc. Very straight, very long, very versatile. Very underrated.
It doesn't like headwind or bad form though.

I'm always hoping for Westside to bring out a discs that is between the Warship and Bard - that would perfect the mid lineup they have. And of course get them in base plastic altogether

The VIP sling is closer to a warship than a bard but it is in between. The sling seems to have more HSS than a ship or is at least more forgiving of release errors and in my experience is less likely to flip. It also handles crosswinds better than a warship. In terms of net distance the sling is also between A bard and warship. The difference is not huge but it's noticeable.

I was gifted a VIP Air Warship the other day, I got the exact same impression. It was helpful reaching TeeBird-like shots my M2 was too short for without being too flippy.

What's the deal with Air Warships? Was it like one run and done?

I had a 153g VIP "non Air" Warship, saw it on the shelf at a store and couldn't believe it(weight), so I had to grab it up.

Loved the thing, all the stability of reg weights but more glide. Powered down great, very workable on different lines. However, it was getting destroyed in the wind on courses, and not just headwind. So, I finally discarded it, gave it to someone else. I miss the magic of that Warship but couldn't rely on it in real conditions with any kind of wind.

This was 2011-12, they must have made a few 150's in the early runs.

I use a Truth (old school or emac) when I want a more stable warship flight. I think the Sling should be around that range too.