• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] What comes next?

oneupmshrm

Par Member
I have a beat up DX Teebird 175G that I got from a friend of mine. This thing has been beaten within inches of life and a dog even got a hold of it.:doh: I absolutely love this disc it is super stable, and laser straight. The only downfall is the weight. I just cant get the distance with it.

My questions are:

-What would be an ideal weight for me to go down to?
-Is there a plastic I can get that will be as stable right out of the box?

-Is there any disc alternatives to the Teebird that are similar?
(sorry if this is a dead horse):\

If you need anymore info just let me know.
Thank You:)

try a 166g tl

or buy a 166g dx teebird. dx beats in so fast its stupid.

im sure some people on the MP have beat to **** dx teebirds you could pretty easily find one

um i have only throw star. i would sell you mine but i chalked up an ace with it. i would maybe try to find a used star tl so it has some seasoning on it. also some champs are plus molds and theyll feel a bit different to the hand. also pro leopard in a light weight could work well for you.

champ will be a bit more stable than the star.

Another Teebird is a good idea. I really don't think weight's that much of an issue. You're not going to get a ton of extra distance going from a beat up max weight TB to a fresh TB that's 5 or so grams lighter.

If you want something that will get you a bit more distance than a Teebird, I suggest a max weight River. It should play stable-understable for you out of the box, and is capable of good distance. I've had some freakishly long throws with Rivers.

I just picked up a 150g star Teebird as a substitute for my well seasoned star & champ TeeBirds during the fall & winter months, when leaves & snow make discs hard to find. Even new, it's pretty much straight as an arrow. I'd recommend getting away from DX plastic

If it's as beat as you say it is (and you're not turning it over), you might want to drop down a speed to a Gazelle. Very underappreciated mold.

If it's as beat as you say it is (and you're not turning it over), you might want to drop down a speed to a Gazelle. Very underappreciated mold.

Good call. I had a beat in DX Teerird, and have a DX Gazelle, and they both have a straight flight with little tendency to flip.

Can't go wrong with a 170 DX. Enough to hold its own in the wind and not be too finicky. A 150 Star Teebird is also a fantastic disc. Long, stable, dead straight, and durable.

I would vote a lighter weight star.

DX just doesn't last very long and star teebirds are great (or at least used to be).

I just picked up a 150g star Teebird as a substitute for my well seasoned star & champ TeeBirds during the fall & winter months, when leaves & snow make discs hard to find. Even new, it's pretty much straight as an arrow. I'd recommend getting away from DX plastic

This has been my experience (well, except for the winter months and snow part). My go-to driver, a 150 Star goes straight with no wind, down wind or up wind, although at 150 it doesn't stay in the fight long against the wind. I move up to a 166 Star unless the wind is very strong, and in that case I go with a 175 Champ that starts turning left early unless there is quite a headwind, then it goes as straight as the others.

I had a 150 DX that I found but it turned over on me one too many times and I left it in the brush to be replaced by a 168 DX. I have a Pro Teebird on the way to me that I hope will be straight to right turning like DX but last a bit longer than the waxy DX stuff.

I love the flight of my 172 Pro Gazelle. It is very straight, but works to the right and then fades ever so slightly, just enough to be a thing of beauty. I have a DX Gazelle on the way to me now.

Last edited:
I have gotten my best results with 150 class drivers. 150 Star Teebirds flat out bomb, some of my longest throws have been with them, and I use them in all conditions, including wind. I will switch up to a 150 Champ Teebird when it is really gusting.

Wow!! Thanks everyone for the input. My subscription alert didn't go off on my phone and I thought the thread died off after my last post. To my suprise it didn't:) Thanks again!!!

I didn't realize that with how beat up the Teebird is I should be turning it over and I am not. Does this mean it is too much disc?

I am trying to move away from DX and start using better plastics (although I will definitely look into the Gazelle). I have a Star 165 Leo and a Champ 175 RR. I also have a 175 Z Nuke SS which has been shelved for obvious reasons lol.
The only non Innova and Discraft disc I own is a 174 F3. But I am still too new to really have a brand preference yet and am not afraid of moving away from these.

As of lately I have decided to not go above my 165 AA. I am trying to replace some of my heavier weights in hopes of finding that happy medium. The only reason I have so many Heavyweights was lack of availability when I purchased them.

I think my next step is an in the bag post and see what is overlapping and what is too much disc.

I have made a commitment to myself to improve dramatically over the winter months. I am going to hang a blanket in the basement and practice driving and also move my practice basket down there as well. And when weather and time permits hit the field and the local small course.

Sorry for getting off topic. Its a slow night in the QC office and I'm bored :)

I really appreciate all the input from everyone

I would buy a ~167 and 170 DX TeeBird since they are cheap. Beat them in for a couple weeks, you'll figure out the best weight for you.

I would also recommend a Champ TeeBird. But, they are much more OS. So buy one 165-167 and plan on using it pretty heavily for a year before it becomes very workable. Or find someone to trade you one that has already done that work for you. When you are ready for it, the Champ will be even better than the DX. And you'll be able to throw TeeBirds in multiple plastics. I would recommend getting the process started now. :)

Latest posts