• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you call this shot?

DDDScot

I am an older guy (48) but my shoulder still works so I throw a lot of thumbers and have started throwing multiple modifications of the thumber. I don't want to make up new names for old shots so someone tell me what this shot is called. My prototype name is a low-thumber-skip-roller. I throw a low thumber like a curveball pitch, it comes out of my hand upside down, flies 100-150 feet skips on it back, flies 20 feet while it turns right, stands up on edge and rolls another 100-200 feet depending on disc and force. I use a felon but any stiff disc that thumbs will work, works well on dirt. Not a fluke I can throw it any time, very accurate.

I am an older guy (48) but my shoulder still works so I throw a lot of thumbers and have started throwing multiple modifications of the thumber. I don't want to make up new names for old shots so someone tell me what this shot is called. My prototype name is a low-thumber-skip-roller. I throw a low thumber like a curveball pitch, it comes out of my hand upside down, flies 100-150 feet skips on it back, flies 20 feet while it turns right, stands up on edge and rolls another 100-200 feet depending on disc and force. I use a felon but any stiff disc that thumbs will work, works well on dirt. Not a fluke I can throw it any time, very accurate.

One thing I do not understand; when your disc "stands up on edge" it would have backspin. Does your disc flip around and roll the 200'?

What kind of voodoo are you using? I throw hook thumbers all the time (the upside down skip) but maybe the only time I got a roll more than 30 or 50 feet would be if it were on a hill...

I have thought of the reverse spin issue. If I throw a soft disc is tumbles after the skip and stops. With harder plastic it will tumble for a second and find the right edge and then rolls with the top to the right. Admittedly last year I was clocked throwing fastballs at over 80 mph so it may be that I am just releasing with so much force that it is tumbling into the spin. It works even better with an uphill throw. Downhill it doesn't skip hard enough. I will try to get a video of it.

I have thought of the reverse spin issue. If I throw a soft disc is tumbles after the skip and stops. With harder plastic it will tumble for a second and find the right edge and then rolls with the top to the right. Admittedly last year I was clocked throwing fastballs at over 80 mph so it may be that I am just releasing with so much force that it is tumbling into the spin. It works even better with an uphill throw. Downhill it doesn't skip hard enough. I will try to get a video of it.

Just make sure your shirt is on in the video.

Highly doubtful that your disc had reverse backspin and still rolls 200 feet. This shot is also known as a Scooby. I throw these and can throw them well but never do unless I'm goofing around.

Does sound like a Quisenberry, but no way you can get it to roll 100-200 ft "consistently" on flat ground. Please post a video of multiple throws.

I play McClain in San Antonio a lot and it has narrow lanes and hard packed ground, might be hard to reproduce at a different course. I am just so accurate with the first bounce spot that is make it a really nice shot for me, I can predictably shoot through a 15 foot gap at 100 feet with it and every thing past the gap is gravy. It usually only rolls 75-100 feet. Even when it doesn't roll it tumbles skips and scoots straight for 20-30 feet. Thanks for your help guys.

To DatRedDude. A "Scooby" or "Scoober" is gripped EXACTLY like a backhand. But instead of reaching BACK, the arm is curled up above the same shoulder and thrown pretty much like a back-fist. (for roller or upsidedown shots)
The Ultimate Frisbee community calls a two-finger UD a 'Scoobie'. They are incorrect...Since so many people were fed this erroneous info, they consider themselves 'right', by majority rule, rather than confirming with someone that was around when the throw came into existence. (Ask any DDC competitor)
I'd love to see a vid of the throw that DDDScot is referring to. Sounds interesting.

A very accurate 100-200 roll is actually a sometimes 75-100 roll. Got it.

We all love a good embellishment.

1cH4lRD.jpg

His poop is used as currency in Argentina.

TO BILL BRASKY!!!!

okay analyzing a little more, still no vid but coming, threw some but cant get a good pic by myself. When I release the disc it is spinning counterclockwise and upside down, hits flat on the back of the disc hard slightly left edge and skips (belly rolls) up and right. When is skips right it comes up spinning forward, not backward. I have a bud meeting me tomorrow to help get a picture. Just going with "Quisenberry roller" since he one of my favs and I can remember his name. Really doesn't matter what I call it if I can throw it effectively: low-thumber-skip-roller just sounds stupid.

Never heard of a quesenberry... Also, a picture is not going to help much if the grip is the same as a thumber, and only thrown differently.

I'd definitely like to see the vid tho

Funny, but out of context. Overall the throw from release to ground contact to stopping by the basket is very accurate. I can make it roll further with more force, but generally just need it to roll 75-100, I don't trust a roller to be predictable after that.

And by the way, rattle snake skin causing too much chaffing, I prefer cobra!