• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you find more challenging...a long, heavily wooded course, or a windy open

course? Some days, it just seems like a push. :\

Some days it IS a push. And some days I'm doing better in the woods, and some days better in the open.

But overall, I'll do better on the open, even with wind, so the technical courses remain more challenging.

Qualifying question, does the open course have lots of OB?

Wooded is harder for me. On a windy open course it's eady enough to go Stiletto or Rask and play it the same way I normally would.

I play well in the woods but it's still a bit harder.

Windy for me.

They're stupid. I always play tough wooded courses, have my entire time playing, and that dumb hyzer through the field might as well hit an invisible IRON LEAF. Of course skill is required to nail that hyzerbomb, but in no way/shape/form is it more difficult than hitting a low gap AND having it turn at the right time AND having it fade where you want AND getting that little extra skip - followed by a layup through jail. EDIT: I do have an arm, so even a bad shot on an open hole yields and acceptable approach shot.

Stupid open holes.

Iron Leaf for the unaware:

^This. What seals the deal for me is the effect of wind on my putting. I'm not a great putter to begin with, but when the wind picks up, putting just becomes a chore. On the wooded course I at least have a chance once I get inside the circle.

I'll buck the trend here and say wooded courses are more challenging in the bad way for me. I played Idlewild this weekend for the first time, and I don't think I've ever had less fun playing disc golf. Constantly having to throw mids on 600' tunnels is an annoying slog.

Give me a course like Mt. Airy, where I actually get to throw my drivers sometimes.

as a born and raised Nebraskan, I can confirm that open and windy is harder, especially on the 20 mph wind days. And in Nebraska the wind doesn't blow, it swirls.

Windy for me.

They're stupid. I always play tough wooded courses, have my entire time playing, and that dumb hyzer through the field might as well hit an invisible IRON LEAF. Of course skill is required to nail that hyzerbomb, but in no way/shape/form is it more difficult than hitting a low gap AND having it turn at the right time AND having it fade where you want AND getting that little extra skip - followed by a layup through jail. EDIT: I do have an arm, so even a bad shot on an open hole yields and acceptable approach shot.

Stupid open holes.

Iron Leaf for the unaware:

Hahaha Iron Leaf is now in the lexicon. I can't wait to use it... And that voice!

When it's open and windy, I can kind of laugh it off. I don't mind wind, honestly, as it does make things challenging. Still not terrible to throw high speed discs through wind. Putting gets exciting in the wind too! If there's not too much elevation, it's not terrible.

I enjoy wooded courses. But I also hate wooded courses more. The annoying feeling of trying to get out of a jam after a slight kick off a tree.... bah. And we have ticks up here... hate them the most. But.. there's nothing quite as satisfying as having a shredder round through tight corridors.

I'll take the push.

i came into my stride as a golfer playing long, open windy courses and nowadays i work at a desk in a relatively confined area, so i'm more partial to open, windy courses for the 'release' and contrast.

i have always found wooded courses much more challenging and potentially demoralizing, like going into the deep, dark enchanted forest to get some gold from a dragon who'll likely be angry when i wake him up...the negative vagaries of lady luck always seem a bit heightened in the wooded setting to boot...

I'll take tightly wooded over strong winds any day. Unless you're a really great spin putter, strong winds can totally wreck your short game.

Wind is fun, but I like technical courses more...but if a course has both (or rather, open and wooded holes) that is better.

Hahaha Iron Leaf is now in the lexicon. I can't wait to use it... And that voice!

Dead in the heart of the center of the chains. Didn't get up and down.

I feel like I play better in the wind compared to most in my area, but I also have a habit of swapping up my bag depending on conditions. If I know that there will be wind, I set up for both headwinds and tailwinds, much the same as I set up for shorter holes on wooded courses (more Rocs, less Destroyers). I actually like both conditions, and only really find the wind to be challenging, when it is swirling, or changing direction constantly.

Latest posts