• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you love about disc golf?

All the hot girls! Close second is the huge amount of money as well!

Seriously though.
I like seeing the discs fly.
I actually enjoy getting wadded up in some rough patch and figuring out how to get my disc to the basket.
I like the fact that I can play with a doctor, painter, student and unemployed guy and for a couple of hours forget about any problems we may have and just have a blast!

alright dom i feel like i need to ask this.....did you just recently lose your job?......it's okay man i got laid off at the end of february and i've had trouble filling the days too......but damn dude.....you are about to set a record.....

okay back to what you asked: it's the challenge and the frustration and the payoff.....for every tree i hit, every spit out every brick, every low putt, every shank, every screw up is a learning point.....and it all gets smoothed over when i hit a 40 ft putt....or when i park a 330 ft drive.....or when i slip that 130 ft up shot between that tiny gap in the trees.....it all feels like an accomplishment.....and i'm becoming a minor league plastic nerd

word to your mother

Outdriving people is one of my favorite parts, followed by me rubbing it in afterward. Sinking a really long putt is another one, especially under pressure.

being outdriven by people and still getting a better score on the hole. Seriously I love love love it when someone shoots 75-100 feet past my disc and they take 3 more shots to get it in the basket.

Gettin outside and enjoying nature is a big part of why I really like. Making an impossible long shot always makes my day.

Meeting new people.
Drinking coffee at 7am at one of my local courses.
Playing tag matches with friends.
Being part of a sport finally.
The flight of the disc.
Nature in all it's good and bad.
Exercise for me and my dog.
This forum.
Playing well.
Playing poorly, well.

watching a disc fly is what got me hooked

the sound of the chains on a long putt or throw in

always having something to improve on, no one is ever too good to quit practicing

small tasks and rewards constantly throughout a round

disc golf is an equalizer sport...i have friends that bench 350+ but i can out drive them, you don't have to be a muscleman or in extreme shape to be good or to learn good enough form to compete with anyone.

the mental game, coming back after 3 putting to can a 40 footer on the next hole, or lace your next drive down a tight gap

just a few

The flight of the disc and the sound of the chains. Winning always brings me back, but perfectly executed shots are really what keep me interested.

Putting is what makes me want to quit. I've completely lost all confidence to even hit a 10' putt in my last two rounds, and for the first time ever I went out to the course begrudgingly (it was 6:00 AM, but still...) After giving up easy birdies on 2 (10') and 3 (18'), I was ready to give up. Kept pushing on, though, and made almost every putt inside 20' on the back 9, made a 35' on 17, and finished even for the round. My excitement for the game was renewed...doesn't take much, just a good round.

keltik said:
alright dom i feel like i need to ask this.....did you just recently lose your job?......it's okay man i got laid off at the end of february and i've had trouble filling the days too......but damn dude.....you are about to set a record.....

okay back to what you asked: it's the challenge and the frustration and the payoff.....for every tree i hit, every spit out every brick, every low putt, every shank, every screw up is a learning point.....and it all gets smoothed over when i hit a 40 ft putt....or when i park a 330 ft drive.....or when i slip that 130 ft up shot between that tiny gap in the trees.....it all feels like an accomplishment.....and i'm becoming a minor league plastic nerd

word to your mother

Ha ha ... No not really. I work as a freelance photographer so I don't really work a 9-5 as it is. But it just so happens that we bought a new/old house and I've been spending the last 2 weeks working on it. I'm easily distracted and have my iphone on me all the time so it's oh see easy to take a break and hop onto dgr. That and I was living in Tucson for 9 months where they have one old busted ass course so some weeks I didn't even play golf. Now that I'm back in Flag with our 6 killer courses I'm back to playing 6 times per week. Actually the amount you see me posting is kinds normal. My first 2 years on dgr I was always amung the top 5 posters..... So does that answer your question?

the competition, watching the flight of the disc when you hear that perfect snap coming off your finger tips, and of course enjoying a nice cold one with friends after the round arguing who shot what

Lately, the fun has been in still beating the youngsters driving 400+ feet when I only throw Super Class discs for the whole round... :)

I love the feel of a throw when the timing all comes together, and the sound of a putter crashing into chains. I love drop-in birdies, but I love 60' circle-4 bogey saves too. I'm mesmerized by long winding flights, skyscraper tomahawks, and frozen-rope laser-flicks. I loved hikin' courses on the west and east coasts, and a few I've been lucky to play in the middle. I love being in a field with a stack of drivers and throwing until my arm gets numb. I love putting in my backyard, stopping every so often to flip chicken on the grill and take a pull off a beer. I love walking along with other people who care so much about the woods/mountains/meadows that they'll pick up a plastic bag or a cigarette butt even though it's not theirs.

Funny thing though about the competitive aspect, though: I dig playing monthlies and tourneys, but I never feel like I'm taking another player on head-to-head. I always feel like it's another chance to measure myself against the course, and to overcome my own obstacles on the way (be they physical or, more frequently, mental). Meantime, I get to hang out with a bunch of other folks doin' the same thing, celebrating their great shots and commiserating about the not-so-great ones.

Maybe that'll change someday if my game should reach a higher level, and I'll feel like I'm coming after someone, or holding off someone else. But for now, I never feel like I lost to Alice or beat Bob, only that I played this well or this badly, and that today that was good enough to finish better than Carol but not as well as Dave.