• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What does Disc Golf need?

Disc golf needs more park districts that truly maintain their courses. I believe some courses are neglected by a park district stafff that doesn't play disc golf.

Disc golf needs more park districts that truly maintain their courses. I believe some courses are neglected by a park district stafff that doesn't play disc golf.
In a lot of locales, there's no such thing as a "park district". The parks department in those places is just another sub-entity of the local government, and serving a somewhat discretionary purpose, when the local coffers are tight, they're usually one of the first targets for budget slashing. When budgets get slashed, the first targets to be neglected for maintenance are spots involving a niche activity that by and large generates no income from user fees.

This is why volunteers are crucial to do whatever the powers that be will allow them to do as far as course maintenance.

In a lot of locales, there's no such thing as a "park district". The parks department in those places is just another sub-entity of the local government, and serving a somewhat discretionary purpose, when the local coffers are tight, they're usually one of the first targets for budget slashing. When budgets get slashed, the first targets to be neglected for maintenance are spots involving a niche activity that by and large generates no income from user fees.

This is why volunteers are crucial to do whatever the powers that be will allow them to do as far as course maintenance.

Exactly.

I play about as many rounds per week as I do the number of bags of garbage I carry out.

I am they is a great thread. We can all help our courses out no matter how small, everything helps.

I'd like to see better ways to spectate than what we have now.

Have you ever tried to convey the excitement of a particular throw to another person? It never works. How about talking about when you had the ball on a 4th and goal.. etc? That's a much more gripping tale, imo. I'd like to see the standard behind sharing a nice throw age with the times. Where it used to be a story to tell, I'd like to share videos instead. Unfortunately, it's pretty ridiculous to film all of your throws.

In the distant future, disc-mounted cameras would be nice, much like the helmet-cam. Or perhaps the tech in the disc just records the path and trajectory, to recreate the flight in a simulation on the virtual course...

What does disc golf need?

Same thing the rest of the world needs; less douche bags.

Oh, but we can dream!

When the WWF wanted to grow they asked what do we need, and for them the answer was Hulk Hogan/ Hulkamania. So for disc golf i think the same answer exists, however we may have already answered it, and if we have we need people to stop asking the question.

I agree 100%. Disc golf NEEDS Hulk Hogan!

This is our situation on our 4 local courses. The cities and county allow us to have courses on municipal property and that is as far as their involvement goes. And we appreciate that. But at the end of the day the local club is responsible for the maintenance, including trash removal, mowing (minimal on our courses) and all other general upkeep. For us to have nice courses, it's entirely up to club volunteers, and that instills in us a level of pride as a bonus.

Volunteers is probably what disc golf really needs the most. Without them, our local courses would be virtually un-playable. This has to be true in many other areas as well.

Disc golf needs more supervillains as sponsored players.

2mdjon8.jpg

Sounds like you've got some sharing and lobbying to do in China. ;)

Makes me wish I had my old 8-14 hours a week college teaching job. Scouting locations and figuring out who to butter up to get permission for a course is hard to fit in when I'm at work 50-60 hours a week and need to keep my wife happy in the off-hours. I want to make it happen and we almost cancelled our US trip this summer so we would have time to do this and work on starting a small brewery, but the brewery thing is looking a lot harder to pull off than we had hoped, so the US trip's back on and the course idea is back on the back burner.

I'd like to see someone try a pay to play with amenities: disc rental, course pro (talk about a dream job), lessons, a restaurant and bar. Make it a destination.

Oh, and a top notch pro quality course wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:
I'd like to see someone try a pay to play with amenities: disc rental, course pro (talk about a dream job), lessons, a restaurant and bar. Make it a destination.

Oh, and a top notch pro quality course wouldn't hurt.

Most courses here in Maine are pay to play, and all of those elements exist (though not all at one course). Sabattus, site of 2016 US Women's Championship, is close.

That being said, what we may need here is more free courses to introduce the game to the general public. We also have one high school with a pseudo club team that the local school board refuses to allow to become an official club, let alone a recognized sport. I think a lot of public relations, on the local level, needs to occur to present a better image of the game.

Latest posts