• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Driver/where do I go next/Cyclone upgrade

skypup

I'm looking for suggestions on what driver I should get that is best for my style. I throw right hand forearm with a good run up. I throw a beat-to-hell D cyclone and Z Glo Buzzz about the same distance which is maybe 250' when done right. My shots go very straight and fade to the right. I'm interested in an X Nuke or something and I was throwing a few of my friends discs today, like a Champion Monarch, Beast and Roadrunner and they basically all did the same. I threw a Pro Boss around that worked pretty well with my throwing style as well. I have not had much luck with Firebirds or Destroyers but I only recently started being able to continuously throw straight shots. I know there's gotta be an upgrade for my Cyclone since it was popular in the '90s and all the disc advancements in the past 15-20 years.

My bag/available discs I have are
Drivers:
(extremely worn) Pro-D Cyclone
DX TeeBird (GF's)

Mids
Z Glo Buzzz
DX 150 Shark
DX Stingray (GF's)

Putter
DX Classic Roc

Also I don't have a great putter. I was throwing one of my friends Aviars (he said it was 150g but it did not feel as light as my Shark) and soft Banger GT and neither really did anything for me. I don't have a good putting game as it is but another friend said the Banger GT is one of the only putters worth getting. I hear a lot about Wizards but I don't think I like soft putters at all.

My best distance gauge is throwing around in a field after a game last night, my friend was throwing about the distance of a soccer field (~400 feet +/- 30 feet), and further, and my throws were over half way, sometimes about 2/3 of that distance at best. When out in the field my Buzzz sometimes ended up much shorter than driver throws.

Last edited:
For a new fairway driver you could try a Leopard, River, or even get a new cyclone so its more stable. Putters fall more into personal choice so just find something that feels good in the hand. Also soccer fields are normally 300-360ft long so a Nuke is probably too much for you right now. If you really wanna try a faster driver try a Roadrunner or Sidewinder.

I would say possibly look into a Z Flash. When I first started (and threw almost exclusively RHFH), I bought a Z Flash and absolutely loved it. For a putter, I would say maybe look into a Pro-D Challenger or a hard Magnet since you said you didn't want soft. Both are very popular putters. Whatever choice you make for putter, be sure to stick with it.

In the 250' range there really isn't much that's better than a worn Cyclone. The Cheetah and Polaris LS are both good, too, but I don't think they'll be that much better for you, just a bit different.

It sounds like you still have some work to do. If you are dying to have a new disc, then there is no harm in picking up something new just to try out. Do you just want something to go farther? Maybe a valkyrie? I wouldn't say that it will save you many strokes though.
...That being said, a Cyclone will also go a LOT farther with a little work (and you are already familiar with the disc). I still throw Cyclones and throw them very far with accuracy. They aren't a max D driver by any means, but at this point I would say that control>distance for you. Distance will come in time with a little bit of the right practice.

Alright thanks for the suggestions, I'll just keep practicing with what I have as far as drivers go. I just figured that there might be an improvement of the Cyclone because someone had said that nowadays the Cyclone and the Buzzz cover almost the same territory. A Nuke SS probably would not be good for me then? Maybe I'll try to find a Pro Leopard just to have it.

I honestly would not be going up in driver speeds if your getting the cyclone out to 250'. I would stick with fairway drivers around speed 6-7 until your ripping those out over 300' without strain. Maybe try a river if you really want something to test. And as far as the cyclone being an "old mold" from the 90's, I wouldn't worry too much about that. the cyclone is a good disc for beginners and ams whether it's from the 90's or 2000's. Look at the Roc...that thing has been around FOREVER and it's still one of the most popular and used discs out there from ams to pros. Don't let the plastic get too ahead of your game. You'll hear a lot of people say its the archer, not the arrow. Good luck, and keep hukin!

They still make new cyclones don't they? I see elite-x's all the time at the store. Or are they just old but new to the shelf? ;)

Get a new Cyclone! It was my first disc in 2000; the mold hasn't left my bag since.

I'll echo some of the above: a new one will be more stable (keep the old one for different shot types), if you're throwing 250' there's no need to get anything super fast, and in my opinion, the Buzzz and Cyclone are really nothing alike.

More than anything I've ever thrown (except maybe a well loved Valk), the Cyclone goes where I throw it. Dependable, consistent, and holds me softly when I'm feeling blue.

Cheetah
XS
Valkyrie
Leopard
Polaris (Millennium)

For putters, I've settled on a Kite.

The Cheetah was my first love. I threw it exclusively for years. Still throw one several times every round.