• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what is a good sidearm driver?

I can help here as a fellow RH side arm driver myself :) If there is anything I have learned in driving, is that moving to monster discs like the boss or Xcal right away, won't get you where you need to go. Since you have a road runner, I recommend a stable fairway driver such as an 11x teebird. They can handle the torque of a sidearm and shape lines well. If you want a distance driver, I strongly recommend a star beast, It is easy distance and the disc, when thrown right just goes dead straight and has tons of glide. After you find yourself wanting more distance after one of those, then you can really start to mess with over stable stuff. Ever since putting champ starfires in my bag, I have noticed they get good distance but are deadly accurate too and great for skips and windy days. Hope this helps!

I've been playing for only 6 months and here are the discs that have gotten me some success. I can only drive forehand because of a shoulder injury and have practiced ALOT (30-40 mins open feild, 5 days a week for a couple months now) to develope my form.

Elite Z Crush 172-174g: this is my go to driver
Star StarFire 172-174g: Great open feild distance driver
Star TeeRex: I learned on this disc and have moved on. Its nice and flat, and predictable.

Elite Z Flick: This disc is NOT for a beginner, if you dont have the right form it will Hyzer HARD every time and youll get sh!t out of it. But for tight dog legs and trick shots, its amazing. If you get your form right you can S this thing forever.

Star Rhyno: This has been a great understable midrange/approach disc for me, it flies predictably straight and is extremely consistent. More so than a Buzz for me.

Honestly though, if you're currently not getting 300' on your drive with what you got (unless you're using a putter), i think you should practice in an open feild a bit more. Form is EVERYthing with the forehand. There is no Magic disc to fix bad form. There are plenty of topics covering form on here if you need to define it. Good luck man.

I just bought a Discraft Avenger SS and I throw sidearm and man that thing is straight and it will go forever. Same with my Lat64 River it just keeps gliding and my Lat64 Striker definitely has good boom off the tee. I like something super stable and straight so I can get good distance and consistent shots. Maybe a Nuke or Nuke SS.

he throws 275 and u guys are suggesting a 11-14 speed driver?

get a Dx Teebird 168ish
or get a S-PD 166-168ish

either one of those will be good up to 350' or more

I personally prefer the Opto Striker. For me, it has the perfect balance of stability and speed. I can put some power on it but it won't mask as many form flaws as a warp speed or meathook.

Starfire/SL, Firebird, Ascent have all been good go to drivers for me and I do nothing but FH drive. The Villain may be a little fast for you now, but I highly recommend it too.

Anyone using an understable driver for FH has bad form IMO. Your wrist is not designed to torque that way with a full snap, hence why peeps throw overstable discs for FH. Your losing power by having to tuck your hand closer to your body to get the hyzer angle. Release flat or slight anny to get your distance. You do this with a teebird at full-power and youll end up in the dirt. No one on here knows your form like you do, so take all the advice with a grain of salt, formulate your own decision and try stuff until you find YOUR niche.

I throw the wraith. Its overstable enough to not flip, but not too overstable. I used to throw the destroyer but it just didnt work out

Anyone using an understable driver for FH has bad form IMO. Your wrist is not designed to torque that way with a full snap, hence why peeps throw overstable discs for FH. Your losing power by having to tuck your hand closer to your body to get the hyzer angle. Release flat or slight anny to get your distance. You do this with a teebird at full-power and youll end up in the dirt. No one on here knows your form like you do, so take all the advice with a grain of salt, formulate your own decision and try stuff until you find YOUR niche.

can we least agree that at his power level he shouldn't be throwing a 11-14 speed driver? i release a TB flat and get 325-350 pretty consistently. hes at 275. anyone can release a wraith/destroyer/FB/boss/etc a little anhyzer w bad form and get 300'

At 275 I was thinking for a workhorse driver for you at your power level a few discs might be in your wheel house:

1. Wraith
2. surge
3. S - PD

There are a lot of others but these are easily found locally if you do not shop online. I would also recommend a durable material Champ and/or star type plastics. The reason I suggest these over base plastic is newer FH players can be hard on discs by throwing constant spike hyzers or making nose angle mistakes and throwing the disc into the ground.

Also remember this is a game for life and do not forget to have fun and not turn this into a chore!!

Cheers - Koffee

I like my Flash for forehand drives when I decide to throw that way. When I first started playing, I could get this disc to fly the furthest and straightest for me when I threw forehand. I would suggest maybe borrowing someone's and see if you like it first (a lot of people on here dislike it for some reason).

At 275 I was thinking for a workhorse driver for you at your power level a few discs might be in your wheel house:

1. Wraith
2. surge
3. S - PD

There are a lot of others but these are easily found locally if you do not shop online. I would also recommend a durable material Champ and/or star type plastics. The reason I suggest these over base plastic is newer FH players can be hard on discs by throwing constant spike hyzers or making nose angle mistakes and throwing the disc into the ground.

Also remember this is a game for life and do not forget to have fun and not turn this into a chore!!

Cheers - Koffee

Thank you. I need to remember this sometimes when i am struggling for more distance, too.

My forehand game started out with Champ Roadrunners, LOVED EM!!! I could get laser straight drives with it, 300 - 350. After a year I was flipping it just from torque, not from discs being beat in.
I now use ESP Avenger 168 :thmbup:. I have two in the bag. One beat to hell and back for straight throws and a fresh new purddy one for that extra bit of fade at the end.
After five years I am now throwing back hand and I'm lovin the Star Leopard and Vibram Trak 150 class. I can get those out just as far with less stress on my body. It was a pain in the yarbles to convert to back hand, but I feel it was well worth it.

Wickedly overstable and yet controllable - Z Flick. I I can get 300' + golf distance with a Flick and my noodle arm, anyone can.

I also use a Nuke & Xcal, both 350+, not as consistent though as the Flick.

I agree flick is a very good sidearm disc. A little less fade but more distance try a crush or destroyer

if you want more distance and something just a bit more stable than your roadrunner, go with a valkyrie or viking.

Latest posts