• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what is a good sidearm driver?

i have been playing disc golf for a while now and i am trying to improve my game by getting a new and better disc. right now i use the champion innova roadrunner, and i like the disc a lot i would just like to get more distance. i have thrown the monarch before and i like the way that feels. i drive sidearmed right handed and i was wondering if anyone could reccomend a good disc for side arm distance driving. i had the innova star boss in mind, but im not sure yet. so if anyone can help me out i would really appreciate it

If you are useing a Roadrunner for Sidearm drives now you should try a Mamba. It is faster and I bit more understable but should fly similar to your roadrunner.

If you want something more oversatble get a Firebird...

A good line up would be Firebird OS, Teebird S, and Roadrunner US

What is your max distance with FH? This will help us target in on an appropriate disc for you.

Cheers - Koffee

i have been playing disc golf for a while now and i am trying to improve my game by getting a new and better disc.

Well any sentence that begins with I'm trying to improve my game by getting a better disc...usually isn't off to a good start. I've tried that method and it hasn't worked out for me! That being said it's hard to tell what your looking for without knowing how far you are currently throwing the roadrunner. Roadrunners are pretty understable if you want something also understable with just a step up in distance I would think a sidewinder would be a good choice.

Wickedly overstable and yet controllable - Z Flick. I I can get 300' + golf distance with a Flick and my noodle arm, anyone can.

I also use a Nuke & Xcal, both 350+, not as consistent though as the Flick.

my max distance is with the roadrunner right now is somewhere around 275. it is also a 165 gram disc, im not quite suure what the weight has to do with it, so if i got a new disc would it be better to go a little bit higher in weight

my max distance is with the roadrunner right now is somewhere around 275. it is also a 165 gram disc, im not quite suure what the weight has to do with it, so if i got a new disc would it be better to go a little bit higher in weight

This changes everything... DO NOT GET A MAMBA!!!

You should get a leopard or a River for sure and start throwing them. I would go mid 160's for weight. Roadrunner is too fast for you if you are only getting 275' with it.

You shouls also grab a 160ish Buzzz if you don't have one already and really learn how to throw it well FH. That will help a lot.

your gonna want something flippy. boss is real overstable and you will start developing bad habits if you switch from a roadrunner to a boss.

I throw rhfh and learned with a 11x teebird....have developed well with it and now also throw a nuke ss a champ monster (for certian situations) the buzz throws well using my technique also....I wanted to use all fast discs when i started all around 174g....i quickly learned to disc down and form a good technique before trying to throw anything over speed 10....

I've only been playing for just a little over a year and a half now, but threw frisbees as a kid growing up, and nothing but backhand. I just recently started experimenting with forehand drives and can get my Gateway Illusion out to 350' with very little forehand experience. I'm obviously a little biased as a "Gateway dude," but the Illusion is very flat, and very confortable in the hand, and seems to travel very far with little effort when thrown forehand. Anyone with any kind of proper form (because I'm sure mine isn't) should be able to chuck this thing 4-500 with ease, in my opinion.

I'm a 46 year old Adv Master & I throw 95%+ FH off the Tee, Here's some of what works for me:

Teebird is never bad FH or BH - Great control disc for FH drives. (I recommend all FH players carry a TBird)

Destroyer is my personal distance preference - ~170g is my favorite weight. To me it's more consistent and controllable than a Boss (Just a personal preference)

Banshee is another very good option on the controllable but more overstable side. Great for S-turn shots.

FAIRWAY FH - Firebird
MAX D FH - Ape

Both champ in the low 170's.

Banshee is PERFECT if you are just starting out learning how to throw FH.

Last edited:
what plastic? i have a dx banshee and i haven't had very good results....the flight plate is slightly concave...

Get a champ (or Glow Champ) - They are not currently available in star.

Wraith (star) is another good FH distance disc.

Apes and FBs sound too overstable for you. If you want max distance while already releasing FH with some Hyzer (which you must be or a RR would turn over on you) then go with the Nuke. Flatter the better IMO when throwing FH and I throw alot of FH...

Try a Nuke SS, that's what I moved to from the Monarch and Road Runner. Now I throw Monsters and Surges for my forearm. Just get something that you are comfortable with and work on the grip you are using and your approach. Its all about comfort.

Latest posts