• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the Average Disc Golfer?

In my area, disc golfers come from quite a diverse demographic. We do share these in common, however: eccentricity and unique weirdness. Somehow, we manage to get along well together, in reaching our common goals in playing and getting better.

The average DGer =

Jobless
Caucasian Male
18 - 35 years of age
Smokes Leaf
Wears "Jorts"
Hasnt been laid in years
Internet Dork
Thinks he can throw 500+ feet
Doesnt know the meaning of good hygiene

Does the "average" disc golfer relate to some form of "chucker?" As in the 18-35 year old male, drink on the course and tries to act somewhat like a tough guy? Or is this part of a negative stereotype of the chucker stereotype known far and wide. I ask what is the average because from what ive seem it has been mixed quite a lot. Do you feel like you are the average disc golfer? Are you more then average or even unusual as a player?

In Canada, there is no such term as "chucker."

After skimming through the lengthy chucker thread, I still don't know what it means, but I am I correct in assuming it's a derogatory term to describe new people who haven't yet been educated on course etiquette, etc? I don't mean to threadjack but it's just a question I have been pondering.

The average disc golfer plays a sport that the average American doesn't know about or doesn't understand :\

The vast majority of players in my area don't know what anhyzer means and they throw beat up katanas on wobbly flex lines in the 250' range.

There are an awful lot of guys who appear jobless, need a shower, smoke pot on the course, and carry giant markers with which to vandalize trees and benches. My wife and I were recently playing a beautiful course in Maine, talking about how this type of scenery could hook anybody on the sport. Eventually we catch up to a twosome who brought a boombox blasting death metal. Are you f'ing serious? Out there with the birch trees, the little streams, the leaves starting to turn, listening for bird calls, and you're too much of a DB to wear headphones?

There are a lot of great disc golfers out there, but I hope the sport gets more and more expensive with pay to plays so that I don't need to be around the dregs of society to enjoy it. Elitist? Probably, but being honest.

A lot of the guys that are geeked out on disc golf are guys that are overweight and not proficient in other sports. They are usually carrying 18+ discs and are mediocre at best.

There are guys that are out there to drink beer primarily and then worry about throwing discs.

Lots of players seem to be on the lower end of the income scale.

But, I'm not playing for the people I meet - I'm playing because its a fun game.

I'm glad I don't play where many if not most of you play. From my experience the average player around these parts is in his late 20s, early 30s and every one that I've met or know about has some sort of job. The average is also a white male with kids, but they don't bring the significant other or the kids to the park. The average player around here drinks beer and smokes pot. They tend to be amiable but usually hang with their own clique.

The vandals, jobless, & dirt bags are out there, but no way would they be considered the average from what I've seen.

A lot of the guys that are geeked out on disc golf are guys that are overweight and not proficient in other sports.
Not in my case.
They are usually carrying 18+ discs and are mediocre at best.
...Not me either.

There are guys that are out there to drink beer primarily and then worry about throwing discs. Lots of players seem to be on the lower end of the income scale.
Heh, heh... ok; ya got me...:eek:

Yeah i dont think any of us can be defined as the "average" disc golfer, but a few of us can be described as the "unusual" disc golfer XD

One thing I've noticed with the "average dg'r" is they carry a hundred discs so they can throw them all on the same hole taking 5 minutes to do so and then play off the one disc that actually got though the gap and into the fairway. All this while there is a group waiting behind them. They then procede to look for all the discs they threw and, of course, can't remember where they all went and take 15 more minutes.

Latest posts