• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] What is the best baseline distance driver

Well, DD doesn't make Fluid Trespasses. *sigh* They only make the Escape, Truth, Judge, and Warden in Fluid. Hasn't Fluid been out for a couple years now? Innova seems to sell enough GStar to make most molds in it, so why not more molds in Fluid? I know Dave D loves GStar, but I seriously don't think Innova would make so much of it if people didn't buy it. It seems weird to me that DD makes Trespasses in Prime, but not in Fluid. Oh well, off to look at whatever the equivalent is in other Trilogy brands.

So can someone elucidate the Trilogy GStar-like plastics for me?

From what I can tell:
Westside has only Elasto.
Dynamic has only Fluid.
Latitude has both Frost and Snow.

Latitude's site explains that Frost is basically soft, flexible Opto and Snow is soft, flexible GL, which is great. But which are Elasto and Fluid? Are Elasto and Fluid both the same as Latitude Frost (flexible Opto) or are either of them the same as Snow (flexible GL)? Neither Dynamic's nor Westside's websites seem to explain this that I can find.

So can someone elucidate the Trilogy GStar-like plastics for me?

From what I can tell:
Westside has only Elasto.
Dynamic has only Fluid.
Latitude has both Frost and Snow.

Latitude's site explains that Frost is basically soft, flexible Opto and Snow is soft, flexible GL, which is great. But which are Elasto and Fluid? Are Elasto and Fluid both the same as Latitude Frost (flexible Opto) or are either of them the same as Snow (flexible GL)? Neither Dynamic's nor Westside's websites seem to explain this that I can find.

Yup, elasto and fluid go along with frost.

I think Dynamic also has lava which matches with snow. Not sure Westside has released any flexible gl/tp/fuzion

I don't know if this was mentioned, and I'm being too lazy to go back and check, but you might look and see what drivers are in XT plastic. You may need to check the Proshop for XT drivers. XT is very grippy when wet. My Archangel is in XT, and feels like a huge pencil eraser to me. I am not an XT fan, but it may suit your needs *IF* Innova or Discmania make any drivers in it.

I don't know if this was mentioned, and I'm being too lazy to go back and check, but you might look and see what drivers are in XT plastic. You may need to check the Proshop for XT drivers. XT is very grippy when wet. My Archangel is in XT, and feels like a huge pencil eraser to me. I am not an XT fan, but it may suit your needs *IF* Innova or Discmania make any drivers in it.

I just checked and there are no drivers in XT currently on the Factory Store, not even Archangels anymore. I actually like XT quite a bit for putters, but I'm not sure it would hold up well for drivers. The flight plates on the XT Rocs I've had tended to warp on tree hits which made them lose high speed stability. The plastic itself would look fine, but the flight plate would be warped so it would wobble when set on a flat surface.

Well, DD doesn't make Fluid Trespasses. *sigh* They only make the Escape, Truth, Judge, and Warden in Fluid. Hasn't Fluid been out for a couple years now? Innova seems to sell enough GStar to make most molds in it, so why not more molds in Fluid? I know Dave D loves GStar, but I seriously don't think Innova would make so much of it if people didn't buy it. It seems weird to me that DD makes Trespasses in Prime, but not in Fluid. Oh well, off to look at whatever the equivalent is in other Trilogy brands.

Not necessarily...people by G* cuz a lot of Star feels like caca.

Fluid is just extra gummy and flexy Lucid(Opto), isn't it? You can get a similar feel in the more translucent Lucids.

Frost Havoc might be the closest high speed driver? I haven't thrown a Havoc in a while. The feel will be different but maybe closest flight?

I hope Trilogy will release more Frost/Fluid stuff for the winter months. Elasto Stag and Harp need to happen imo. I would try Trespasses again if they did Fluid too.

I know Dave D loves GStar, but I seriously don't think Innova would make so much of it if people didn't buy it.

Agreed. While I'm personally not a fan of GStar, preferring firmer plastic such as Star and Champion, many people are fans of GStar. Also, drivers in GStar are a bit more understable than their Star/Champion counterparts (and IMHO more inconsistent, but I digress). If GStar agrees with you, especially in cold weather, then by all means go for it.

It seems weird to me that DD makes Trespasses in Prime, but not in Fluid. Oh well, off to look at whatever the equivalent is in other Trilogy brands.

No, this does not surprise me. DD is trying to get into the beginner market more than in the past, and Prime plastic is how they're doing it. They're making Freedoms out of Prime plastic as part of their Starter Packs. My experience with Fluid is limited to one Warden; that Fluid disc feels like "soft Opto", and I prefer regular, more firm Lucid. I wish DD would make the Warden in Lucid, and maybe one day they will. And maybe at the same time they'll make Trespasses in Fluid... Time will tell...

Frost Havoc might be the closest high speed driver? I haven't thrown a Havoc in a while. The feel will be different but maybe closest flight?

I hope Trilogy will release more Frost/Fluid stuff for the winter months. Elasto Stag and Harp need to happen imo. I would try Trespasses again if they did Fluid too.

Mmm Fluid Stag and Harp. Yes please!

I do not understand DX in wet conditions. It is way too slick. I have a harder time holding o the DX than slick Champion or first run Neutron.
Is it just the DX that I have came across or do some like throwing a ball of wax?
I am not slurring DX by calling it wax, its just that almost all DX I have run across has a wax gloss to it even after 20 rounds

Thread bump!

So what have you discovered Hughe?

I gave up the hunt because the Friction Glove gives me enough grip to use premium plastic drivers during the winter. DX Thunderbirds are the best option I found in baseline drivers. After that, probably Vibram Medium (or Soft although I never tried it) has the best driver grip to me (not really baseline I know). I still prefer the grip of DX over Vibram for wet weather, but only slightly.

The problem with Vibram (other than them stopping making discs) is that I never really loved any of their drivers I tried. I've got a 168 OLace (complete meat hook for my arm), a 175 Lace (decent distance, but not as good as my GStar Destroyers). Vibram medium seems to take a long time to season so if you don't like the flight early on, it's not going to get flippy very fast. That's good and bad because I love the Obex flight, but I think my Lace would pick up some distance if it seasoned a bit and it hasn't. The Notch and Arch are not bad, but I still prefer Thunderbirds and Teebirds. I've actually got a Valley on the way that I'm going to to compare to a TL and beat Teebird to see how good of an option that might be.

With the rainy season upon us, I am faced again with the prospect of switching to a mostly-baseline bag for grip reasons. This transition has gotten a lot easier for me with the addition of DX Thunderbirds to my bag, which I think are my favorite baseline drivers ever.

Please note that for the purposes of this discussion, I do NOT consider Innova driver Pro plastic to be "baseline" because it doesn't grip any better to me in wet weather than Star.

I would like to add some sort of baseline distance driver to my bag. I've looked at a lot of DX Destroyers in the past, but they all have such low PLH that I'm afraid they would be flippy turds out of the box. I can throw approximately 400 feet with GStar/Pro Destroyers. I am considering picking up a Prime Defender and a DX Ape. Both those molds are pretty overstable in premium plastic so I'm hoping they are at least moderately stable in baseline plastic so that they don't beat into uncontrollably flippy within a few weeks.

So, does anyone have any experience with DX Apes or Prime Defenders? Are there any other baseline distance drivers that you would recommend? I have the fairway/control lines covered with DX Thunderbirds so only speed 11+ recommendations please.
Instead of buying new discs, you could use tree sap to increase the tackiness of your fingertips.

Stickum (or similar product), or honey may work too. I'm going to give both a run next time out on the course.

Tree sap, honey and Stickum may sound ridiculous, but IMO, it's less ridiculous than investing the time to research, purchase, and learn a new disc.

I do not understand DX in wet conditions. It is way too slick. I have a harder time holding o the DX than slick Champion or first run Neutron.
Is it just the DX that I have came across or do some like throwing a ball of wax?
I am not slurring DX by calling it wax, its just that almost all DX I have run across has a wax gloss to it even after 20 rounds

I have thrown rounds with only DX Rocs where it rained on me the whole round and I never had an early release. It may feel somewhat waxy when dry, but for me it grips very well when wet. Now KC Pro is a different thing; much more slippery until it gets beaten in a bit. I have dry hands and tend to have grip issues when they are wet, but DX has always been pretty good for me in that regard, even the stuff that feels waxy.

I have thrown rounds with only DX Rocs where it rained on me the whole round and I never had an early release. It may feel somewhat waxy when dry, but for me it grips very well when wet. Now KC Pro is a different thing; much more slippery until it gets beaten in a bit. I have dry hands and tend to have grip issues when they are wet, but DX has always been pretty good for me in that regard, even the stuff that feels waxy.

I pretty much agree with this (for me anyway).
Last weekend I played two rounds in the cold slop with nothing but DX discs, my towels were pretty much useless half way through the first round and I never had a problem with grip.

As far as drivers go, the only DX ones I like are Thunderbirds and Wraiths. Valks are nice for about two rounds.:p If you're not using them on rough ground or near trees, they do hold up a little longer.