• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the best/your favorite disc retriever

A Fatmax weighs the equivalent of 3 to 3.5 discs, which could be a deal breaker if I'm already loaded to the max. Still, I'd probably try one out if I regularly threw on a course with a lot of hazards.

366g for the 16' version. Almost dead on to the weight of 2 max-weight discs. I don't know if that changes your thoughts on it.

And I don't know who came up with the idea of the Fatmax originally, but thank you to whoever it was. I got one last night, after seeing it mentioned in a post a few days back, then wading into a foot of really cold water yesterday to retrieve a disc that could have been gotten with a Fatmax. This, after finding a 6 foot branch to assist the process.

I got the 16' version because I'm mostly concerned with retrieving discs in shallow water hazards, so the tape has to be extended horizontally. I assumed (correctly) that the tape would collapse long before reaching the 25' of the longer version. Turns out I can get mine to 11 or 12 feet before it collapses, which i still think is pretty darn impressive, for such a compact tool.

I liked the rexarm at first, but after a few months it's gotten where it doesn't telescope well. I've been very careful with the thing, I try to clean it off before closing it, I don't slam it on the ground to close it. But I've got several sections jammed together that won't open or close. It's not bending like I see gators do, it just won't telescope anymore.

Thats a bummer dude. most of the cases I have seen with any issues with the rexarm seem due to mis handling it, but sounds like you have not.. have you tried contacting them?

I seriously love mine compared to my discgator, but as some others on here, keep a golden retriever in my cart as well, and my disc gator in the truck just in case, as well as a tape measure. Anything I can do to not lose a disc :)

Thats a bummer dude. most of the cases I have seen with any issues with the rexarm seem due to mis handling it, but sounds like you have not.. have you tried contacting them?

I seriously love mine compared to my discgator, but as some others on here, keep a golden retriever in my cart as well, and my disc gator in the truck just in case, as well as a tape measure. Anything I can do to not lose a disc :)

I haven't contacted them, I likely won't. I have gotten it a bit better now. I used the lubricant that we use on our campers slidout, and that seems to have helped it quite a bit. It's still jamming a little but you can work it loose.

The Best Disk Retriever Ever

Hello everyone, I'm in the final stage of prototype/production of the M-Retriever
This is gonna be a game changer. It's time to someone to take this seriously,. Disks are everything to our sport and a great retriever should be the most essential accessory that we should bring. I think the disk retriever deserves more respect and attention than what we have seen so far.

I'll keep you all updated here.

And yes, I'll give away few of them for some of you to review!!!!!

The M-retriever is here. We will be debuting on Kickstarter in few weeks, please check us out on instagram @bestdiscretriever. Thank you for the support!

I am liking the Instep Kwik Stix. For those that have had one for a while how does it hold up?

Thanks for posting!
Can you please tell us the compressed/packed length of the 10 ft & 20 ft poles?

I was wondering why anyone would want to put a camera on one. Attaching a camera to search for a disc might help in situation where pond scum/growth make it hard to spot from the surface...but I have to wonder how well you'd be able to see a disc given the lighting in those situations. Usually such condition are a rather murky as well... but I'm sure that varies widely from one body of water to the next.

Are there blue tooth Go Pros that sync with your phone so you could remotely see under water?

Last edited:
Difficult walking.

Waders and a rake. Screw the gadgets.

My question is, do you find it difficult to do your x-step in a pair of waders? Seriously though who carries waders and a rake with them on the course. I have a huge homemade rake for when I lose a disc that is not retrievable with my disc gator. The only problem id it is extremely bulky and heavy. You have to make a special trip to the water hazard to use the rake.

My question is, do you find it difficult to do your x-step in a pair of waders? Seriously though who carries waders and a rake with them on the course. I have a huge homemade rake for when I lose a disc that is not retrievable with my disc gator. The only problem id it is extremely bulky and heavy. You have to make a special trip to the water hazard to use the rake.

Thanks for the necrobump.

I never implied that I bring that gear with me. I'll come back to the course with waders and a rake if I want my disc back that badly.

The image of someone playing in Waders is awesome. :D

I use for trees a few Golf Balls or a Tennis Ball I found, all of them found. For water I use a floating disc Dragon and I should get a Disc Gator like thing to get that out of the water and discs in less deep water that are not floaters.

I use for trees a few Golf Balls or a Tennis Ball I found, all of them found. For water I use a floating disc Dragon and I should get a Disc Gator like thing to get that out of the water and discs in less deep water that are not floaters.

Thats a good idea

Thats a good idea

Yes but I do not like how the Disc Gator is always sold out. :rolleyes: and for a while the price kept me from buying it. The Golf Balls and Tennis Ball work, I busted a cheep giveaway water bottle in the 2000's trying to get a disc down. Since then I have had something be it a golf ball sized rock, first thing or a actual golf ball about 95% of the time I am playing. I also had thought about recently putting a screw in a tennis ball and tying string/soft nylon rope to it to use it to bring floating disc back to shore.

I bag a Disc Gator w/11' tent poles and a Golden Retriever. The Gator is deployable in a greater variety of situations, and almost always quicker to use. The only situation where the GR is a better option is when the disc lands in the water more than 12' or so from the shore, and it's clear enough to use. By clear enough, not only do I mean visibility so you can see where to throw it, but also lack of submerged obstacles like rocks, branches, and vegetation that a GR can get hung up on, or that can redirect a GR around your disc as it draws near.

Gators also work great for trees, thorny lies, under fences, etc.

This. Exactly.

Thanks for the necrobump.

I never implied that I bring that gear with me. I'll come back to the course with waders and a rake if I want my disc back that badly.

Effective at a local course, but not so great for road trips.

I am liking the Instep Kwik Stix. For those that have had one for a while how does it hold up?

I was thinking of getting one of these - do you still like it?

Golden Retriever is an art at which I am no good.

I have been using one of my DG buddies. It works great for 10 foot grabs and is easier to use than the Golden Retriever. However, the Retriever works very good for discs you can see and are able to throw it past them.
So far it is holding up quite well. It has been used quite a bit to get discs out of the creeks where we play and it works on trees too as long as the disc is less than 15/16 feet above your head.