• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] What is Trilogy's Thunderbird

What is Trilogy's Thunderbird?

• Convict

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Felon

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Thief

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Culverin

Votes: 46 67.6%
  • Spark

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Striker

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Northman

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Stag

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
Culverin seemed pretty close to a good PD for me (I like the PD rim better) and the Thunderbird is pretty close to a good PD soooo....I say Culverin is as close as youre going to get in flight. Not in feel.

Sampo definitely wins. But you have to find the right one. Challenge run Metal Flake Elastos. The dark red MFE Sampos are a great Thunderbird matchup where the teal ones tend to be a bit closer to a PD. The smoke/grey/clear are the least stable and tend to behave closer to a CD2 or Beast.

I fell in love with the Sampo after last year's Challenge and ended up with a stack of 12 Metal Flake Elasto Sampos. I currently bag PDs just for the ease of replacing them, but if Westside ever runs Elasto Sampos again, I will more than likely be switching back. They fly like a PD with a bit more glide. They're not quite as good in the wind for that reason, but I get an extra 30-40 feet on every throw. I have enough at this point that I don't really need to worry about running out, as I have 5 of my favorite reds... maybe I should go out and put them up against the PDs again and see where my bag should really be sitting... Thanks for confounding me again! :D

EDIT: The current run of VIP Sampos are not the same disc! I do not know if they tweaked the mold after people complaining that the Elasto Sampo was too overstable for a "beginner" challenge event, or if the different in plastic makes that huge of a difference, but the VIP Sampos are WAY more understable. We're talking Elasto compared to a Thunderbird, VIP compared to an Archangel difference!

Last edited:
Culverin is the closest I've seen to PD/Tunderchicken

VIP Sampo seemed quite a bit less overstable.

I'd kill for more runs of the Elasto Sampo. Tis a thing of beauty. I'm taking two out to my leagues tonight in place of my PDs to see if I want to switch back.

195dc42f_20130215_ThisThreadIsUselessWithoutPics.jpeg

Culverin for glidey pd, Longbowman for more overstable. Bio felons are like first runs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The longbowman is slower. Despite being falsely labeled liked most flights.
The longbowman is like a shorter eagle. Dead on eagle x.

Felon, not even close,, even in bio plastic. Completely different flight pattern.

Felt close enough to me. I did have lighter versions of both though. Cfr and bio at 170

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'll agree and say the Elasto Sampo is actually a little bit closer than the Culverin imo. VIP isn't even the same disc and is MUCH more understable. I also bought up a couple of the Elasto Sampos from last years Trilogy Challenge. Wonder if they are worth anything considering they completely changed the mold and you can't get them anymore.

Well out of the 8 options in the poll, I believe 2 are still in production. Or at least have been available the last few years. Felon or Stag. And the Stag just recently popped back up a bit.

Felon is Firebirdish. Stag is nothing like a Thunderbird.

I hope this is a sarcastic bump, because it is pretty funny 5 years later actually :thmbup:

I know it's not in the poll options put up 10 years ago, but I am going with the Boatman as a Thunderbird replacement.
I don't plan on replacing thunderbirds, but if I had to chose a trilogy disc to replace mine, that would be it.

Latest posts