• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your winter weather limit?

I gladly play in: (select all that apply)

• Temps under 40F

Votes: 179 68.6%
  • Temps under freezing

Votes: 147 56.3%
  • Temps under 20F

Votes: 124 47.5%
  • High wind and temp under freezing

Votes: 110 42.1%
  • Minimal snow (disc unlikely to bury in most places)

Votes: 160 61.3%
  • Heavy to drifting snow (disc will bury in many places)

Votes: 114 43.7%
  • Ice - (slick frozen ground and/or icy tee pads)

Votes: 117 44.8%

• Total voters
I actually prefer to play courses with a lot of foot traffic, because it really helps to tamp down the snow and makes your disc easier to find in the snow.

Acorn Park in Roseville, MN is a course that I only play a few times in the summer, but play a LOT in the winter for this reason.

I played my little home course in Horicon, WI with ribbon a few times this year with no problems. I sort of had to imagine where the tee pads were on each hole (buried), but never lost a disc.

The discs I've almost lost this winter have been those where I couldn't spot the point of insertion, if ya know what I mean. Sometimes the ribbon buries too, and it's devilish hard to find in lots of foot prints and 6-8 inches of snow.

For 2-4 inches, I agree with you.

What cracks me up is that often times there is a distinct footpath straight to the pin, and I'm out there breaking virgin powder to find my errant shot.

Wind is my friend and windy doesn't bother me.
Cold is not really an issue in NC. If you wanna play in snow around here, you better go quick.
Warm rain is okay. But wet and cold? That kills it for me.

Wind is my friend and windy doesn't bother me.
Cold is not really an issue in NC. If you wanna play in snow around here, you better go quick.
Warm rain is okay. But wet and cold? That kills it for me.

Throw in some wind and make it truly miserable. :D

I recently played in cool rainy weather in Seattle, and with the absence of wind, I'd do that any day, no problem.

I don't like snow at all. I could go out in 10 degree dry weather but 31 and snow on the ground freezes my hands when i touch a disc and when my hands get numb all form of control with a disc goes away. Plus I don't find it fun throwing stand still or sliding on tee pads.

try putting blue pool chalk on your disc, you should be able to see where it goes into the snow

I have seen that idea before. It has to be an urban legend. Just sounds messy and not practical. If a guy in my group was doing it I would berate and shame them so badly they would give up on it right away. (maybe start be nicknaming them 'Smurf Fu%$#R') Besides, making the snow blue is flat out tacky.

High of 8 tomorrow for our event here in town-- 2nd Annual Winter Warmer Kick Off of Awesome Fest at Mont du Lac.

I'd much rather play in sub 25 degree weather with snow just so the discs stay dry.

What cracks me up is that often times there is a distinct footpath straight to the pin, and I'm out there breaking virgin powder to find my errant shot.

Ha! I've been there too many times to count. I'm probably why 90% of Acorn is tamped down. :thmbdown:

Pretty much the only condition I can't stand is WIND. Effing HATE wind more than anything.

Heh, I love high winds for casual rounds :) The pressure of posting a great score is off, as you can't expect to score well in the wind. Wind catches a drive and takes it to places you've never even seen, or a gust takes a 20' putt and carries it 100' from the basket, I'm laughing all the way to my disc. Such ridiculousness makes it hilarious! Best of all is if you can get a friend that's crazy enough to play with you, and then you can laugh together at all those horrible shots. Don't take it too seriously! :)

Though I admit, for a tournament it wouldn't probably be that fun..

Still waiting for the "None of the above" option. Got a foot of fresh snow outside, heading out to a tourny in an hour!

Try to stay away from negative wind chills, other than that its fair game. Its practically spring time in Wisconsin, 8 degrees and about a half foot of snow on the ground.

It's all about the wind chill. If the wind chill is below about 15 I'l be staying inside. More than 3 inches of snow will keep me inside as well.

I'll play in just about any conditions. We got a night game going on friday night in the middle of a snowstorm in like 10* weather at about 1:30am.

It was a lot of fun. And yes, Alcohol was involved.

Last edited:
I voted ice. Slipped and full on backhanded a tree this winter. Will not play when it is slick, but,I do not mind wind and cold.

My limit is if the ground is covered in snow and less than 20 degrees.

I guess the only real deterrent for most of us would be thunderstorms.

Ideally for me it would be upper 60s, low 70s, a very light but warm zephyr that always seemed to be coming off my left shoulder. Low humidity and partly cloudy.

Agreed. It was a little overgrown when I played it but it is a decent layout for sure.

Edit: the green on hole 16(I think) was really green. It was a grove of knee high plants.:\

DECENT?????

Were you not challenged to use many many shots in your arsenal and discs from your bag? Did you not leave thoroughly beat down physically and mentally, replaying the bad throws and how you could have done better? Aside from the grass issues this summer, the rough is indeed rough. Tailings is another course emphasizing accuracy and control, but brings in the need for some power as well - it scores out with a much higher SSA per 18 than Winter Park, Rollin Ridge, and others.

If you want well groomed playing conditions, come play the Tailings event in June on Saturday the 29th. It will be the 4th annual tournament there. Non-PDGA, but part of a "Disc da U.P." series of events we will be hosting this season to commemorate all our new openings and changes. Look for 18 new holes in Marquette, 36 new holes in Escanaba, 18 new holes in Republic, and more and more expansion, improvement, and new courses, especially in and around the Marquette area.