• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] What mids do you bag?

Right now its a 170-172 Z Buzz, 174 G* Mako3 ( which i love, holds lines and will flip nicely) And a 170-172 Elite X Comet for the understable mid spot. Still not sure on it yet. Just lost my go to DX Roc so we'll see how these 3 do without the Roc.

Axis and Vector. Multiples of both in different stages of wear. Very similar rim shapes, Vector just has a bigger bead and thats pretty much the only difference. All board flat and consistent as hell in the air.

Axis and Vector. Multiples of both in different stages of wear. Very similar rim shapes, Vector just has a bigger bead and thats pretty much the only difference. All board flat and consistent as hell in the air.

Saw a video of you (I think it was you) tossing MVP mids on their site and it inspired me to try out the Proton Axis my little brother (and your fellow MVP sponsored pro) Graham gave me a couple years ago. I confess you throw it better than I do, but man, that's a great disc.

Right now my mid lineup is a Claymore bracketed by a Fuse and Roc3. The Claymore is basically my go-to midrange disc, with the Roc3 used for overstable shots and the Fuse used for awkward stances or when I want zero finish on the drive.

I just started last year with a DX Shark and later added a Ti Buzzz.
Added 2 Claymores and a Mako3 this season.

Liked the first Claymore so much, I went back for a second!

Right now I have a Champ Roc and a Lucid Truth and tweeners Trident and Harp.

The Roc is very predictable. Almost always goes 280-300 with a soft hooking fade, Truth I can throw very straight up to 330 or so. Combined I probably only throw them 8 times per round but they make it count.

Vector - Axis - Theory

Vector flies straight with fade, flex lines, hyzers etc.
Axis flies dead straight and slow panning annys, long gradual hyzers and powered annys
Theory is my slow flying mid. Great for flat to turnover, soft hyzer flips and low power distance

Mostly Prodigy;

M1 - RHBH Hyzer
M2 - RHBH Straight w/ solid fade
M4 - RHBH Anny w/ low dependable forward fade
Discraft Hornet - Forehand and Spike Rescue BH Hyzer

I have tried many and struggle with the feel. I dont care for deeper rimmed or beaded discs. Currently I only bag the Buzzz SS in Ti Flx. Handles everything from straight to understable. For overstable duties I either power up the Zone or power down the FB.

ESP Buzzz
Champ Roc3
Champ Mako3
Ibex
Obex

I go back and forth between my Buzzz and Ibex, and also between my Roc3 and Obex... each paid does similar things, so it depends on how I feel that day. I also throw a Classic Judge

Back to original post.. I go to 2 mids for quickies. Ch Roc3 and Comet or fresh DX Roc.

Current normal set: FLX Drone, Ch Roc3, fresh DX Roc, z or esp Comet. (Sole and Harp putters do get ranged up too)

... If I loaded my giant bag, I would add Ti Buzzz and a Breaker. (Love both, just tweeters for me)

Z Buzzz, kinda domey, flies stable with a slight fade.
Big Z Buzzz, super flat, flies stable with a little more fade than the Z Buzzz.
Pure OG (Sticky Icky plastic), flat and stiff, stable to slighly overstable with good amount of fade. Skips on lower shots.
Big Z Comet, stiff, flies slightly understable with very little fade. Used for hyzer flips and anhyzers.
X Comet, grippy and flexy, flies understable with no fade. Good for hyzerflips that track right and sweeping sky anhyzers.
Lucid Justice, super flat, very overstable flight, but hits the ground quickly once it starts to fade. Very abrupt fade, definitely a utility disc.

I run an all gateway mid set up and it's really simple 3 karmas and 1 demon all max weight . All evo hpp except one of the karmas is base line and beat in for turn overs. Other two are straight and straight to hyzer. Demon is like a mini firebird straight to big hyzer and good for skips and fh. I would compare this to roc/roc3 and gator set up. Reasons i picked this cheaper price, I don't like domey roc3s, I can fh karma better and bh distance is longer for me than roc, Demon is more versatile imo than the gator and i prefer the feel for fh.

I've got the tried and true Roc cycle. But after getting some sweet club stamped TI FLX Buzzzes, I'm thinking about giving discraft's flagship mold another shot.

Yeah, no go.

Sticking with good ol' Rancho Roc cycle.

Saw a video of you (I think it was you) tossing MVP mids on their site and it inspired me to try out the Proton Axis my little brother (and your fellow MVP sponsored pro) Graham gave me a couple years ago. I confess you throw it better than I do, but man, that's a great disc.

Glad you like it. It's one of the first discs I have people try when they want to check out my MVP discs. Has the HSS of other popular straight mids, but holds that straight line longer before fading.

Update...

I am currently Cobra-less right now. I have just tested a Opto Claymore and like it. The Claymore is a pretty stable disc for me, not as under as I was expecting. I get a good straight to fade flight out of my 170.

I like my Buzzz but the Claymore might be the disc that can kick it out of the bag. I get a similar flight between them, I like the shallowness of the Claymore better as well and the flat Opto one I have is less affected by wind ( so far ) IMO.

So from the guy who professed his dislike of mids, he now likes four of them...
Z Buzzz, Z Comet, Opto Claymore, and a DX Cobra. :thmbup:

There is only room for three in the bag...further testing is needed to determine who is going or staying.

New Line Up...

The Buzzz is out, the Claymore replaced that one.

The Comet is in flux and might be out.

Got a nicely broken in DX Cobra going and doing work in the bag.

Just got my first King Cobra and it immediately made the bag!

So I've got the DX Cobra for the straight slot, the King Cobra for the straight to fade. The Claymore may be out soon as it overlaps ( for me ) with the King, and I throw the Cobras better anyway.

I know this not a mid but the Atom sees some cross over use as a shorter mid/long approaching disc in my bag.

R-Pro Roc+ are my only large diameter mids. Super underrated (they mold up right) and the quickest route to a $$$ beat Roc.

I have some fairly fast putters though medium Harp and medium Pure.

I love Tridents if you consider that a mid

Last edited: