• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What Prodigy driver is closest to a Moonshine Ballista Pro?

gcanter2376

Eagle Member
I've been trying out Prodigy lately and I'm really liking them. I like grippy and gummy plastic and the 400 series has been great. Do any of their drivers compare to a Moonshine Ballista Pro?

I have one 400 D2 that is exactly like a Ballista Pro. Stable and no turn. I have another 400 D2 that will turn when cranked. They are two completely different discs. I'd say a D1 Max (or D1 if you can find it) would be safer bet.

That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. Typically the Moonshine Ballista Pros are more overstable than a regular Ballista Pro so I wasn't sure if a D1 would work or not. Thanks.

That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. Typically the Moonshine Ballista Pros are more overstable than a regular Ballista Pro so I wasn't sure if a D1 would work or not. Thanks.

That's the thing... we never know until we try. That's why the discs keep accumulating! I agree about the gummy plastic on the two Prodigys I have. It's great feeling.

I'd rather say X2 than D1, in my experience those have been more consistently overstable. You can try the D Model OS in Glow Duraflex as well, if you don't like the handfeel of X2.

I would put more money on an X2 flying like a B Pro than a D2. D2's are Prodigy's Destroyers.

Now, I havent thrown a Ballista at all, but I still don't think a D2 is it. Plus, good luck finding a D2 these days.

Ballista Pros have a super wide rim. The answer has to be something from Prodigy's Max line, right? Just a standard X2 or D2 will be significantly slower than a BalPro.

I have one 400 D2 that is exactly like a Ballista Pro. Stable and no turn. I have another 400 D2 that will turn when cranked. They are two completely different discs. I'd say a D1 Max (or D1 if you can find it) would be safer bet.

D2 is what I'd say as well. Like the Ballista Pro, the D2 will turn if you lay into it hard. That said, it isn't really flippy.

I've had VERY mixed results with the D1. Some are ridiculously beefy, and others flippy.

Ballista Pros have a super wide rim. The answer has to be something from Prodigy's Max line, right? Just a standard X2 or D2 will be significantly slower than a BalPro.

Ballista Pro rim is 2.3 CM. I'm pretty sure the D2 is as well. The Ballista Pro's rim isn't quite as wide as you might think.

Honestly, the most overstable Ballista Pros I've seen are lightweight air ones. I have a few in the high 150s that are super overstable. I can wrench them over anny, but they fight out of it fast. I also feel like air Ballista Pros don't glide as well as their heavier counterparts either.

I have 1 moonshine Ballista Pro, and it's actually a little on the flippy side.

I also agree with the prior comment that Ballista Pros are flippier than Destroyers, especially when you start throwing into headwinds. Ballista Pros will flip way easier than people think, especially when you start going over 375'.

Ballista Pro rim is 2.3 CM. I'm pretty sure the D2 is as well. The Ballista Pro's rim isn't quite as wide as you might think.

I've thrown a lot of Ballista Pros. They are quite wide and noticeably faster than a standard Speed 12 driver. Lat64 lists them as a Speed 14, which is fair. I think you could argue Speed 13, but then again flight ratings are relative.

Also, PDGA approval says they are 2.4CM, which makes sense.

The Ballista Pro's rim isn't as wide as true speed 13s like the Nuke and Boss, which are 2.5cm-- the max the pdga will allow. I'd say the Ballista Pro is a speed 12-13 disc, but I'd give it the nod to 13 since it's very aerodynamic.

I'd actually be interested in knowing what non-trilogy equivalents of the BPro is myself. BPro is the driver I'ave had the most success with, but Trilogy plastic just beats in way too quickly. Something of the same speed/stability but that holds its flight longer would be great. Innova Champion Color Glow is my favorite plastic.

Last edited:
The Ballista Pro's rim isn't as wide as true speed 13s like the Nuke and Boss, which are 2.5cm-- the max the pdga will allow. I'd say the Ballista Pro is a speed 12-13 disc, but I'd give it the nod to 13 since it's very aerodynamic.

I'd actually be interested in knowing what non-trilogy equivalents of the BPro is myself. BPro is the driver I'ave had the most success with, but Trilogy plastic just beats in way too quickly. Something of the same speed/stability but that holds its flight longer would be great. Innova Champion Color Glow is my favorite plastic.

You might take a look at the MVP Octane. Similar to a Ballista Pro in speed and flight. Won't beat in quickly at all either.

Otherwise I'd simply suggest the Boss or Nuke you mentioned earlier. Both of them fly similarly to the B Pro, but are a tick faster with wider rims.

One note of warning before getting in too deep on Prodigy...notice the number of comments here about inconsistencies of particular molds. That's been my experience too (with F's and A's), and the few factory second (M's) I've bought have been crazy-unlike their full-priced ones.

I love the 400 plastic, and I've really wanted to build Prodigy into my bag. I accept the science of molding plastic - that there's gonna be some variation. But I've gotten tired of buying backups that don't fly anything like what I bag.

Just sayin' - your mileage may vary. You might be signing up for frustration.

One note of warning before getting in too deep on Prodigy...notice the number of comments here about inconsistencies of particular molds. That's been my experience too (with F's and A's), and the few factory second (M's) I've bought have been crazy-unlike their full-priced ones.

I love the 400 plastic, and I've really wanted to build Prodigy into my bag. I accept the science of molding plastic - that there's gonna be some variation. But I've gotten tired of buying backups that don't fly anything like what I bag.

Just sayin' - your mileage may vary. You might be signing up for frustration.

I noted the extreme inconsistency in Prodigy's drivers before and was called a "Prodigy hater".

I've thrown enough high speed Prodigy drivers to know they have MASSIVE consistency problems. You can get two discs of the same mold/weight that fly NOTHING like each other. I won't even say Prodigy has bad plastic. They don't.

I mean, I LIKE the D2, but I'd never recommend it to anyone based on my past experiences with it. I'd say the same about the D3 as well.