• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Putter Do You Use?

I'm currently practicing my putting every week for bout 1/2hr at a time. At the moment I'm using a few different disc to see how they fly in various winds, which ones I am most consistent with, and how they perform from various distances. I have the Birdie thumbtrac 170, aviar P&A 166, Polecat 150, and the Discraft challenger/hi-flex 167/174. I seem to have fair success with all of them. Which one I use while playing depends on the winds and just general mood or how I'm playing for the day.

Any thoughts on the new putter from Gateway, the Voodoo?
from the pictures online it looks like a faster big bead aviar??

I'm lovin the 169g Discraft GT Soft Banger! I just got this a few days ago and it just feels so much better in my hand and on release than the Innova Aviars, Millenium Omega SS, Lightning Rubber putter, Aerobie Arrow(I love the Arrow for approaches though). I know people think this is crazy but I like the 174g Quest 10M Brick for inside 10 meters. I used to use my Champ Banshee and did pretty well with it, except I realized too many were bouncing out!

I went back to my Soft Magent. Its really beat, but it works. I think I am going to keep it in my bag for a while.

I just got one in the mail today. Black, First Run, Voodoo Super Stupid Soft, 175g - so the back says, but it's as stiff as a DX Aviar and not nearly as soft as my old Millennium Omega SuperSoft. It's marked SSS on the back, but far from it. I think someone made a mistake. My pal has a Warlock SSS and you can literally bend it in half. It's just stiff enough to hold it's shape. Anyway, the Voodoo is the same diameter as a DX Aviar, but has an almost perfectly round edge. When you look down the side it looks like a road bike tire. I'm taking it out for a spin in the morning.

Sorry for the double post, but I just saw this on Disc Golf Center:

About the Voodoo: The Gateway Voodoo is a very straight putter. It has a completely round nose and a small bead. It holds a fairly straight line when thrown hard with a little less fade than a Warlock on the finish. A very ergonomic design that is comfortable for large or small hands.

http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_displayProduct.php?p=449

I just got one in the mail today. Black, First Run, Voodoo Super Stupid Soft, 175g - so the back says, but it's as stiff as a DX Aviar and not nearly as soft as my old Millennium Omega SuperSoft. It's marked SSS on the back, but far from it. I think someone made a mistake. My pal has a Warlock SSS and you can literally bend it in half. It's just stiff enough to hold it's shape. Anyway, the Voodoo is the same diameter as a DX Aviar, but has an almost perfectly round edge. When you look down the side it looks like a road bike tire. I'm taking it out for a spin in the morning.

Thats wierd about the plastic ... SSS is supposed to be extremely flexible (great for cold northeast winters ;) )
Let me know how you like it after you give it a spin. Oh and after you use it, is it pretty similiar to an Aviar P&A?

Thats wierd about the plastic ... SSS is supposed to be extremely flexible (great for cold northeast winters ;) )
Let me know how you like it after you give it a spin. Oh and after you use it, is it pretty similiar to an Aviar P&A?

I played 36 holes today and was bouncing between the Magic and Omega SS (both 175g, too) during the first round and then I pulled out the Voodoo. I don't know if I'll ever use the other two again. I love it. It honestly flew straight as an arrow AND will hold an anhyzer line perfectly. My other putters have had varying degrees of fade, not this one (unless you put a slight hyzer angle on it). I felt like I had complete control with it.

After the second round I stopped by a youth soccer field and threw all three putters from goal to goal for about an hour, both the Omega and Magic had significant fade and I had to tip them with an anhyzer angle for an s curve to hit the net. The Voodoo went straight in everytime unless I gave one of the wings a little angle, but I still had control.

I'm done looking. I've found my putter and I have two great back-ups if I need them. The Omega SS being my second choice.

As for the Aviar comparison, I can't help. The DX Aviar that I had was way too light (150g). I ended the nightmare after a month or two and started putting with my 179g Shark. I putted with the Shark for a month or two until I found the Omega SS. I would have never switched from the SS, but I have a basket in the backyard now and wanted a few other 175g putters for practice.

And they obviously mismarked it. It is not an SSS, more like the S-Series with just a bit more stiffness than the Omega. It still has a great, tacky feel and I love the round edge.

whew, sorry I carried on for so long. Try a Voodoo, you'll love it.

I'm stumped with the Voodoo. When you look at it the wing looks beefier and blunter than a Wizard. It looks like it should be slower, but the damn thing is faster. It's like a faster, less LSS Wizard. The Wizard is already faster than an Aviar, so the Voodoo puts the Aviar to shame. I'm not sure how it will be as it ages, but right now the Voodoo looks to be the best stable putter on the market.

Right now if you asked me to recommend an overstable putter, I'd say Wizard. If you asked me to recommend an stable putter, I'd say Voodoo. If you asked me to recommend an understable putter, I'd say Magic. If you are looking for an overstable putter but don't like the feel of a big bead, the Warlock is just what the Doctor ordered. Basically what I'm saying is that if you are not at least trying a Gateway putter, you are just hurting yourself.

Gateway Soft sometimes isn't all that soft. The Voodoo's I have all are labeled "soft" but they are all harder than a D Magnet, which is cool by me. Actually, my Voodoo's do have a soft flight plate, but the rims are quite stiff. As a result they are not floppy at all. They will probably all clover at some point do to the softness of the flight plate, which I don't like but it happens.

Gateway Soft sometimes isn't all that soft. The Voodoo's I have all are labeled "soft" but they are all harder than a D Magnet, which is cool by me. Actually, my Voodoo's do have a soft flight plate, but the rims are quite stiff. As a result they are not floppy at all. They will probably all clover at some point do to the softness of the flight plate, which I don't like but it happens.

All of the Gateway SSS putters I've held can literally be bent in half and will retain their shape, completely flexible, gummy, chaingrabbin' putters. That's what I was wanting from the Voodoo, but not what I've got. It says SSS on the back, but has that slightly soft flight plate you mentioned, with a stiff rim, just a bit of flexibility, and no floppiness. Very similar to a Soft (not all that soft) Gateway putter, but not as soft as an Omega Super Soft. I still love it. And it is fast, like a 10-speed tire. I'm not even sure I want a floppy putter now.

All of the Gateway SSS putters I've held can literally be bent in half and will retain their shape, completely flexible, gummy, chaingrabbin' putters. That's what I was wanting from the Voodoo, but not what I've got. It says SSS on the back, but has that slightly soft flight plate you mentioned, with a stiff rim, just a bit of flexibility, and no floppiness. Very similar to a Soft (not all that soft) Gateway putter, but not as soft as an Omega Super Soft. I still love it. And it is fast, like a 10-speed tire. I'm not even sure I want a floppy putter now.
You were probably right before. That just sounds like a soft that they mis-marked at the shop.

Off the tee I would always recommend a firm putter. A floppy one will just slow down the disc. What will really catch your attention with the Voodoo is how fast it is off the tee. Really, I think you can learn to putt with any putter. I choose a putter by how well it flies off the tee, and this thing is wicked-fast for a putter. Getting a SSS Voodoo would just slow it down off the tee, which to me would make no sense.

I recently read a post that summed up how I feel about putters. It said soft putters are great when you miss. They tend to fall over and not roll away. Hard putters give you a more consistent release, so you putt more accurately. So if you plan to miss a lot a putts, get a soft putter. If you plan to make a lot of putts, get a hard putter.

I recently read a post that summed up how I feel about putters. It said soft putters are great when you miss. They tend to fall over and not roll away. Hard putters give you a more consistent release, so you putt more accurately. So if you plan to miss a lot a putts, get a soft putter. If you plan to make a lot of putts, get a hard putter.

I'm pitching my tent in this camp. I wanted a floppy, gummy chaingrabber for those short 12-20 footers, but what's the point? If I can't nail those with a stiffer putter it just means I can't putt.

thats a really good point ... there is no point in buying a putter thats good for missing the basket ... Ive actually switched back to hard putters, but I do like to keep a softer putter just for the winter.

...but I do like to keep a softer putter just for the winter.
That was my goal when I went online shopping. They just sent the wrong disc so I ended up with a stiffer one than expected, for the best.
It was 20 degrees when I played yesterday and I could tell a difference in my discs, especially my Avenger SS FLX - I actually liked it better being a bit stiffer, makes me wish I had more FLX if just for the winter. But, I didn't notice any difference in the Voodoo. It didn't seem much stiffer than when I got it and I had been throwing it around the house the night before to get a feel for it.
...for whatever that's worth.
BTW it was so cold my friend's DX Cobra cracked about 3 inches from edge to center when it hit a tree. It was the first time I'd seen that happen.