• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What putter?

olliediscgolf

Over the years I have tried many putters never finding one that works for me. I pick a few up play a couple games but never seem to find on that feels great in my hand. I have playing around with magics and wizards but i have replaced them with a Disc mania P1 first run putter. Any suggestions on a putter?:wall:

I used to use a xd but find using a mid range (buzzz) just works really well for me, really put sometime into a putter though, not just a couple games. Use it for a month or so and if it really isn't what you want, trade it for something else

i played with the magics and wizards for at least a month a piece, never having major success with either. but i have just play a few rounds with my P1

It is all about comfort. pick what feels right, from inside 30 feet a putter is a putter.
We are just going to tell you to choose our favorite putters.

I have a placebo reaction to aviars. I hate aviars. I did an experiment where I threw 8 different putters 300 times each and the Aviar was the worst, however the Maniac was my 3rd best putter.
I really like my Maniac and still say I hate Aviars, but the Maniac is just an R-Pro Aviar, it is even marked as an R-AV

I used Rhynos (DX for putting, Champ for driving) and I was having success, but now I'm not. I know it's all mental, but I'm giving my Ion another shot and I just bought an Anode that I'm waiting on. It really is all about feel. My buddy that I play all the time with LOVES putting with his barstamp Gator as he's had it forever and is confident with it. Whatever works, works.

It's all about how it feels to you. To me, a few things affect feel. Thick or thin? Dome or flat? I have flat challengers. They feel great. Used to putt with a wizard for the same reason. Aviars never felt good. Some people go to xd or ringers because they want something even thinner.

Most of the time, it's not the putter.

Aviars, Magnets, Challengers, Wizards, Rhynos, XD's, Ions, Anodes, etc.

If it feels nice in the hand and keeps missing, its not the putter's fault. Just pick one and don't blame the disc. I spent my first two years of disc golf trying to find magic discs.

I started out using a nice floppy pro rhyno but since have moved to 4S wizards because it is hard to find a similar rhyno. I think the biggest thing you need to take into consideration is what flight plate you like (or what feels better in your hand). there are beaded, beadless and lids (think innova polecat). Another thing to take a look at is availability of replacements. Also, how heavy are your current putters?

i agree with the previous poster...what feels good in the hand. I also like that they mentioned replaceable. will schusterick is using hard to find 10x kc pro aviars but can get ahold of them easier than i can so i use a dx big bead aviar, still a harder to find than going to dicks and picking up a new p&a aviar but not $50+ on ebay.

one thing also. the reason i use the dx and alot of pros use dx, pro d or kc pro is because of how well the plastic grabs the chains. firmer discs like ions, anodes and firm vibrams can cause spit outs in my opinion. my best friend was putting with ions and recently switched to a very soft putter and dropped up to 5 strokes depending on the course and now its getting harder to beat him unfortunately...dang it for my stupid advice.

Any Aviar. Best putters made...Big bead, small bead, or no bead...simply the best.

i agree with the previous poster...what feels good in the hand. I also like that they mentioned replaceable. will schusterick is using hard to find 10x kc pro aviars but can get ahold of them easier than i can so i use a dx big bead aviar, still a harder to find than going to dicks and picking up a new p&a aviar but not $50+ on ebay.

one thing also. the reason i use the dx and alot of pros use dx, pro d or kc pro is because of how well the plastic grabs the chains. firmer discs like ions, anodes and firm vibrams can cause spit outs in my opinion. my best friend was putting with ions and recently switched to a very soft putter and dropped up to 5 strokes depending on the course and now its getting harder to beat him unfortunately...dang it for my stupid advice.

I have found that to be the opposite actually. I'm really liking my Ions and just yesterday I Eagled 2 holes with it. One was a laser straight approach and the other was a nice hyzer putt and stayed in. Another putt I threw too high and it hit almost the top of the basket and plopped in. The only time I've had a blow through was in a practice session where I was a bit long and it continued it's hyzer right behind the pole and through the chains.

I started off with Omega SS and R-pro Aviar p/a back in June. I used those for about a month until I discovered Vibram putters. I got the Ridge and Summit at first, then earlier this month I got the VP and recently got the Sole as a cash-out from a tourney this weekend. My had likes the Summit, but when I was competing in our Ring of Fire, I was using my Obex, and I must say that I will probably be giving that disc a closer look. I reward it with a putt for a good approach on holes, but man, that thing was on fire for me.