• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] What single disc for total noobs (planning company outing).

I have to say, IMHO a DG company outing is not a great idea. Unless you work at a company that's all youngish athletic doods, most of the people are going to be hating it.

I play a course by where I work at lunch most days and have run across a few such company outings over the years, and I always laugh at how there is usually one group that is gung-ho and having fun while the rest of the groups are absolutely miserable.

It doesn't matter what kind of discs you get, that poor 50-ish, overweight, out of shape woman in accounting is going to chuck it straight into the wall of honeysuckle off the tee and there's no way in hell she's going to go in there and try to find it.

My advice... avoid having your fellow employees secretly hate you and set up a nice, relaxing company bocce tournament.

Happily, in my situation this isn't the case. We actually are a fairly young company overall and even the 50 somethings tend to be the adventurous types who can outhike most of us. More to the point, this is our one big "all hands" meetup all year and on the couple days when we're not working, there are multiple activities going on at any given time. From birdwatching to Dr Who marathons to mtn biking to fly fishing. You pick the ones you're interested in and stay away from the ones you dislike. So while I appreciate the advice, I'm not worried about it.

However....

I think this is a legit point in a LOT of cases and is worth having brought up for anyone who finds this thread down the road. Planning family/reunion/company type activities is like buying clothes for your wife/girlfriend. If you do it right, you are a hero who is in tune with what is important. If you do it wrong, you're a insensitive jerk.

Worth keeping in mind.

Photoguy, thanks for posting this question as I had been meaning to ask the same thing. This past spring I took my portable practice basket and discs to our department picnic expecting a few people to play. We ended up with around ten people (mostly novices) instead and my meager disc collection was spread a bit thin so I was wanting to get a single beginner friendly disc in different weights to take out next time. The park we go to has lots of various sized trees, lamp posts, garbage cans and other obstacles to negotiate so we just set the basket in a clearing and then walked around to different "tee" spots to create different holes. Everyone had a blast and I tried not to wince as my coworkers helped me break in my discs!

Anyway, I plan to stick with Innova DX and had originally been considering the Cobra or XD but this thread now has me leaning towards the Shark. Thanks for the suggestions everyone and for answering my question even though I wasn't the person who actually asked. :eek:

I recently took 2 complete noobs out to play.
Honestly nothing works better than a dx aviar.
But also any 150g understable driver would be "ok" too.

I'd still go with ONLY putters.

Get them a good understable mid, Stingray, Comet, or Yikun Wings would be good!

You could also go on GGGT and 5 misprint Buzzes for $5 each.

Yes the misprint buzzz's are a good idea. They throw BH and FH well cuz the flat top. Lots of new players have an easier time with FH. I have an old one and all my kids can throw it well both ways.

I ran a boy scout event last year and got everyone a misprint Magnet but if i did it again I'd go misprint D Buzzz.