• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Tees To Play From?

Whichever tee area on hole 1 is nicest is the set of tees I play for the remainder of the course.

This is the order I usually go in when I determine which tees to play (I generally only have time to play one set when I'm traveling):
1)If there is only one set of concrete tees I pay those.
2)If there are 3 sets of tees I almost always play the medium length.
3)If there are only 2 and they're both concrete I look at the overall length of the course and make a decision or I decide what I'm in the mood for that particular day.

if I know i'm going to play the course a couple times - which I prefer to do when traveling to a course - ideally I'll play my first round on the shorts just so I can get the lay of the land and figure out where any blind baskets might be.

After that though... I almost always prefer to play a course on the longest tees. Feels like more of a 'full experience.'

if I know i'm going to play the course a couple times - which I prefer to do when traveling to a course - ideally I'll play my first round on the shorts just so I can get the lay of the land and figure out where any blind baskets might be.

:clap:

i guess i fit into your definition......if any course i play has three sets of tees, i typically play the middle. if there are two, i play the far ones.

barring exceptions, such as, if only one set has cement tees, that is the one i play, etc

The very first time I play a course I just use a putter to get my distances referenced and I play from the middle length tees. What always ends up getting me is courses with multiple pin locations, sometimes the line is totally different.

if I know i'm going to play the course a couple times - which I prefer to do when traveling to a course - ideally I'll play my first round on the shorts just so I can get the lay of the land and figure out where any blind baskets might be.'

+1 - I don't like trying to play the long tees and not being able to see the basket or not having any idea what off-fairway areas must be avoided. Especially if I'm playing solo. I hate walking halfway up a whole just to find the basket then walking back to throw. If the course is wide open, shorts are really Rec level and the longs have better pads I'll go longer. As was said earlier the first round is about fun and familiarization not score.

As said... first time I play longs while checking out the shorts. May drive from some shorts along the way if play allows. On a first play I am not super risky and ride fairways.

In my area longs tend to have better amenities like benches, sometimes bigger boxes, more space around the box, and more scenic views.

Mix it up and alternate them. Then alternate them the other way. At some courses, the skill level between the longs and shorts is really negligible.

Maybe I'm just a creature of habit but I play the middle tees (whites) if there are 3 or more. Usually I play new courses with my wife. She generally plays from the short tees, so I play the longer ones.

Playing a new course, I generally play the long tees (with my very short arm), and take a look at the shorter ones. Basically, I want to see the "full" course. Sometimes I'll skip a long one if it looks too long, an uninteresting angle, or is unplayable for me (such as a water carry I can't clear).

But basically, when I first play a new course I'm checking out the course. Don't care what my score is, anybody else's score was, or which tees suit my skill level, assuming any do.

This. If the hole looks hazardous like I may lose a disc then I'll throw from the shorter Tee most likely. But I'm sort of OCD and assume a course is intended to be played long tees to long baskets all the time.