• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Cardinal DGC at Astorhurst (Walton Hills, OH)

DiscinOhio

Bogey Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Coming soon to Northeast Ohio…

Went out and walked the entire layout for the course coming to the old Astorhurst Golf Course in Walton Hills. The hype is real!

This thing is going to be a BEAST! There are three sets of tees marked. White/Am, Blue/Pro, and Gold/Championship. Layout was designed by Pat Govang, and approved by David Feldberg.

Multiple 1000'+ holes (#18 is about 1150' from the gold tee), beautiful views, and even a few holes in the woods.

Not sure when it'll be open, as there are many areas that still need significant clearing. Looking forward to playing the finished product, which will likely be one of the best courses in the region!
IMG_0592.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0612.jpeg
    IMG_0612.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0614.jpeg
    IMG_0614.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0633.jpeg
    IMG_0633.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0638.jpeg
    IMG_0638.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0650.jpeg
    IMG_0650.jpeg
    7.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0652.jpeg
    IMG_0652.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 3
This is unbelievable news! I've been contacting the Metroparks on and off for a couple of years waiting for an update and now all of the sudden there are BASKETS!

Color me excited and ready to pay a greens fee the moment this place goes live.

This is unbelievable news! I've been contacting the Metroparks on and off for a couple of years waiting for an update and now all of the sudden there are BASKETS!

Color me excited and ready to pay a greens fee the moment this place goes live

More great news… It's no longer going to be pay-to-play! At least that's the latest word from the Metroparks.

any chance this will be open by mid-October?

Nobody really knows at this point. I've heard as early as mid-August and as late as Spring 2024. I'll reply to you if I hear anything more official!

HERE IS A MAP (imgur link for those without login and might not be able to see on this page - ): Cardinal.png

• Tees are relative to general starting spots for different difficulties, search for Gold/Blue/White in vicinity of marked tee pad
  • 5 basket and 6 tee are actually a little further south, hence the circle and arrow in image.

i just went out and "played" it today. if you follow the champ->pro-> am tees and use deduction you can pretty much play the course. here are my notes. you want to enter off dunham further south, up the hill, not the picnic area. otherwise you have a long hike to get to tee 1. these notes are not all encompassing and just notes from a first and second casual play through

edit 09/05: Played again 3 weeks later, a lot has changed already, and notes below are modified to reflect. This course has potential to be a top course in the state if continued effort is put into it.

Hole 1 - straight shot with basket on downhill

Hole 2 (pro) uphill, down into wide and open fairway, then up and basket to left. (Am) was moved to top of hill. I think i liked it better in previous location in the small ring right off hole 1's fairway

Hole 3 - potential island Hole? Short downhill

Hole 4 - this was initially hard to find from 3. up hill after the cluster of trees. no defined path there right now besides back up 3's fairway. a LOT has been cleared out and is really a nice looking hole now. RHFH hyzer around dogleg to guarded basket.

Hole 5 - absurdly LONG, twisty, down huge hill to empty land (basket here would have been great) then up hill again through another fairway to guarded basket. a weird hole...Edit: nope, still hate it. don't get the point unless a lot of foliage on the hill from the middle landing zone up to the last fairway is cleared out. In current state this is the worst "long" hole in all of Ohio but based on other improvement I have seen elsewhere it can be fixed to be a very unique hole. There is just too much thorny rough risk to be worth playing for a majority of golfers.

*Personal Note* - lost a well beat-in white plate/red rim halo teebird3 in the tall brush before the path/basket...searched as long as i could and ran out of time due to other commitments. if you find it, please get in touch with me...

Hole 6 - tee at top of hill after 5 basket, a little bit back down the path. it's a pretty neat cliff shot down to a lightly guarded basket.

Hole 7 - short basic uphill

Hole 8 - pro guarded launch pad over trail to open fairway, shot up over ridge to lowered guarded green. Am launch is unguarded.

Hole 9 - open windy (as in, wind blowing) fairway. Treacherous wooded downhill to creek on both sides. Basket tucked away to left uphill

Hole 10 - kinda weird short downhill, basket tucked tight to right, small green

Hole 11 - medium range down and up. Not steep. Then hard right uphill turn to open green...Foliage has since come down to clearly show where the basket will be, estimate 100+ feet to basket from top of clearance.

Hole 12 - retreat back from basket 11 to path, turn to left to find fairway for 12 on left and tees on right side of path. fairly basic fairway tightens up to skinnier lead up to basket as it curves to left.

Hole 13 - thin fairway with hole on left. Sneaky lost disc potential in tall grass on left before and around green.

Hole 14 - very long fairway. Basket to left at end. this hole is a pretty cool bomber

Hole 15 - turn right after 14 basket. Long curve to left. Launches over path from 4 basket to 5 tee. Basket visible in distance.

Hole 16 - double back about halfway down 15 fairways left side for tee. RHFH hyzer to guarded basket.

Hole 17 - similar to 3, possible island hole?

Hole 18 - double back, up hill on right of 17 fairway. very long, downhill tee to level fairway. Short skinny path to 2nd small fairway. Longer skinny path to green on hill.

Wife said to mention the many butterflies

Last edited:
I work right near this course and went out last night after work to play it, dfrank231's directions were super helpful. I didn't see his map before so I made my own, tried to be as thorough as possible with tee box locations as well.

Since I work in the area I went back at lunch today(and plan to keep doing so) to play a couple holes. Met a park staff member while I was there who told me some juicy details. She said the tee pads are actively being worked on(as evidenced by the partial pads on 6 & 7) and they expect to have more in by the end of next week. She said the crews are split between a few projects right now which is contributing to the delay, though they hope(not plan or expect) to have the course fully ready this year still.

She also said there are plans for a 9 hole short course in the rough area I marked on my map. Lastly she also stressed that things could still change, specifically as it relates to tee boxes and hole layouts.

Anyway, hope this map is helpful, Hole 5 is no fun, and the course has some amazing views with loads of Butterfly's and Birds.

Attachments

• AstroHurst_Map-01.jpg
    AstroHurst_Map-01.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 7
cool info to have about the 9-hole! interested to see how they squeeze that in...would def be a beginners course but also compared to the main, i am sure it is a welcome addition. probably makes more sense than adding reds.

i REALLY hope they reconsider 5 since she said things could change...maybe split into a 5 and 5a or something....that gulch really causes issues with the hole layout

I'm a pretty new player, and even though I love a challenge when I got to the Am Tee on 5 I just laughed in kind of a "fuck that" way. I think they could move the pin into the gully and then split the Pro/Champ tee for 6 to the spot the basket on 5 is now and it would be better. I'd love a short 9 hole course, I intend to make this my lunch time activity and being able to potentially knock out a short 9 hole course in 45 minutes or so would be pretty cool.

Side note, if anyone spots a clear red mid-range with gold graphics on Hole 2, or a Purple RR putter along the path to the pin on 18 let me know. I got a little ambitious with my throws on those two and couldn't find my discs.

I played here on October 13th using the amautre tees. All tees look to be in but are currently gravel. Not sure if they are planning to put cement down over the gravel so I played to the side of them. Hole 5 long tee looks crazy hard, but the short tee lines you up for the shot down into the valley and I found it fun. Overall the course gave me dglo vibs. Stay out of the long grass it is way to easy to lose discs in long grass. Lost a green wrath on 18 in the long grass off the drive, and spent probably 30 min collectivly looking for discs throughout the round. As the course gets more traffic I would assume this would become less of an issue.

Just played on November 19th. They've got signs up for Amateur / Professional / Champion tee pads. The pads are currently gravel / sand... It looks like they'll be pouring concrete eventually? Hole layout is in UDisc.

Really fun course with some long Par 4 and Par 5's. Everything felt fair, with the exception of hole #14 which was veeeeeeeery long for a Par 4. Could use a bump to Par 5.

Coming soon to Northeast Ohio…

Went out and walked the entire layout for the course coming to the old Astorhurst Golf Course in Walton Hills. The hype is real!

This thing is going to be a BEAST! There are three sets of tees marked. White/Am, Blue/Pro, and Gold/Championship. Layout was designed by Pat Govang, and approved by David Feldberg.

Multiple 1000'+ holes (#18 is about 1150' from the gold tee), beautiful views, and even a few holes in the woods.

Not sure when it'll be open, as there are many areas that still need significant clearing. Looking forward to playing the finished product, which will likely be one of the best courses in the region!
View attachment 313601

I work right near this course and went out last night after work to play it, dfrank231's directions were super helpful. I didn't see his map before so I made my own, tried to be as thorough as possible with tee box locations as well.

Since I work in the area I went back at lunch today(and plan to keep doing so) to play a couple holes. Met a park staff member while I was there who told me some juicy details. She said the tee pads are actively being worked on(as evidenced by the partial pads on 6 & 7) and they expect to have more in by the end of next week. She said the crews are split between a few projects right now which is contributing to the delay, though they hope(not plan or expect) to have the course fully ready this year still.

She also said there are plans for a 9 hole short course in the rough area I marked on my map. Lastly she also stressed that things could still change, specifically as it relates to tee boxes and hole layouts.

Anyway, hope this map is helpful, Hole 5 is no fun, and the course has some amazing views with loads of Butterfly's and Birds.
Played yesterday. Third time out there. Map was super helpful. Hopefully it gets better marked on how to find some of the next tee boxes. I agree with previous comments about hole 5. Even from the amateur box it is 300ft or more to clear the gully. Throwing out of the gully is really an odd shot...especially if you are on the far side of the little clearing and up against the steep hill. I am a beginner player (max toss only just over 200ft...not ready for drivers yet) so curious how this hole is played by others.
Really looking forward to seeing how this course comes together. I am only about 10 minutes away so expect to spend some good time at this course.

Played today and was absolutely blown away. Definitely one of the better disc golf courses on an old ball golf course for sure. I'd love to see hole 11 have a straight pin that goes to the very edge of the hill and looks down over the river. The view alone is worth the walk over to there. Glad to have a course like this so close to home!

Latest posts