• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Iron Hill. Please Read Before You Play

jimimc

Par Member
I was told when Iron Hill was first put in to put up a sign like they have at Bethpage Black. IRON HILL IS AN EXTREMLY DIFFICULT COURSE WHICH WE SUGGEST TO ONLY HIGHLY SKILLED TOURNAMENT STYLE PLAYERS. That's it. That's what it was and is designed for. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's not fun and wasn't meant to be.

A lot of people don't get what I'm saying. They think every course should be fun. Why play if your not having fun? I'm not saying you can't have fun while playing Iron Hill. I'm saying the course wasn't designed to be fun. There are 100's of courses around with that in mind. There are plenty within 1/2 of Iron Hill, Iron Hill isn't one of them.

As a tournament player who is very competitive I want to play the tournament layout when I go to a course. I don't want to hear about temporary tees or baskets. I don't want to know that one time a year we play this or that OB. I hate made up mando's to make things harder. I hate mando's for safety concerns even more. Why is the hole there? I don't want to hear we skip this or that hole to play a temporary hole over there. I'm also annoyed when I go to a tournament and have to wait around because the new hole or an existing one conflicts with another hole. I don't want to wait on someone to drive because they may hit someone on the next tee. I wanted a course that took care of all these situations and offered a Ball Golf par 72 experience.

Is Iron Hill on the perfect piece of land? No. If I had a few more open holes I'd be extremely happy. That's why at the A tier tournament it was deigned for we use a second open course to compliment it. Are there long walks from basket to tee. Yes it was designed that way. No fear of hitting the next tee pad. Is it repetitive if you can't throw 350' - 450' in the woods? Yes. It was designed with MPO's playing in an A tier. Are there easier more interesting baskets for other players? Yes, but people don't play them. WOW. Are the tee pads for the Gold Layout better than the White tee pads. Yes. Trying to maintain Iron Hill so that most of the time you can have a tournament experience takes up a lot of time. I've been working to improve them but, I'm sorry my main concern is and always will be the Permanent Gold Tournament Course it was designed to be.

It is possible when playing the Gold course to put 72 MPO's on the course and never see another group. Distractions are kept to a minimum. They need to be, because you need to concentrate, hard, for a full 3 hours. Is it the ideal course to play a casual round while carrying your cooler, catching a buzz and Bull ****ting with your friends? No. If you are a 1000 rated player and can throw 350' - 450' in the woods and you want to test your skill, then this is the place.

I'll be there in a couple weeks with a few friends bull****ting and catching a buzz. I hope the gold course kicks my ass thoroughly and promise not to bitch about it one bit.

And I hope you enjoy yourself. Just remember, it's meant to beat you down physically and mentally by the end. It starts off with the easier holes and gets tougher and tougher as you go.

wtf is going on at Iron Hill?

3 new threads about it in one morning.

Jesus H Whining, who cares.

and for the record it looks like a kick-ass course.

Last edited:
Iron Hill accomplishes exactly what it was built for. But that doesn't mean it's a perfect course. There will always be complaints from less skilled players who can't get the same kind of enjoyment out of it. So what? Let them whine and complain. They don't have to play the course if they don't like it.

Those same people may come on here and write a review saying the course is too hard. They're not wrong. If they didn't enjoy playing the course, they're perfectly justified in giving it a low rating.

I gave Iron Hill a 3.0. I enjoyed playing it, and I thought the gold layout did well to accomplish what it is meant for, but that doesn't mean it's a perfect course.

As I said, it was meant to be a piece of a puzzle. When you combine it with Brandywine, Lums, White Clay and Canby, the area offers huge variety. In an A tier when combined with Brandywine and in the past Carousel it test every aspect of your game. Even with all the other courses around Iron Hill is still our biggest draw, especially MPO's, in tournaments.

In my opinion....that is what your posts needs....in my opinion. You are right though, I don't get what you are saying. IN MY OPINION, all courses are fun. Fun is not dependent on scoring to me. I don't think any course is design for exclusive use by a group of skill. I like mando's especially for saftey issues. I don't want my experience to mimic ball golf in any way. There is nothing wrong with 350-400 foot wood holes, I don't have a big arm, so I will try to take my four. Don't see the issue there. Seems like you have a very specific experience you are looking for, which is cool, but I THINK, most of us are far more flexible on what constitutes a good time out in the woods, engaging in what we love.

I'd love to get my rear end kicked out there. Maybe it wouldn't be my favorite course, and maybe it would, but it sounds like I'd appreciate the challenge.

Your right. It is an opinion. That's what the course reviews are, opinions. I'm not saying you or anyone else need to have the same opinions as me about anything. Some people don't think Iron Hill is hard enough. Some people think it's hard just to be hard. Some people can't even walk the course let alone play it. Some think it's a walk in the park. I'm just trying to give anyone who's going to play the course an idea of what we were thinking when we installed the course. There are no extra holes, positions or gimmicks added day of the tournament. This is what you get and you can get 365 days a year.

As far as mando's for safety reasons, I was taught and believe you should find a different solution. If the concern is safety, someone will miss the mando or ignore it and create a safety issue. Once again, like you said, just an opinion.

i just hope we make it through the entire thing before the sun goes down, the plan is to play two other courses that day.

We just did a tournament at Iron Hill this past Saturday with all four layouts in one day. Done in 13 hours.

Was it a tourney for ultra marathoners? lol. Seriously though, courses like this make me want to get in better shape. I know that if I got out there, I would probably be too tired to enjoy myself. Keep up the good work.

We just did a tournament at Iron Hill this past Saturday with all four layouts in one day. Done in 13 hours.

less than 12 hours of play considering we had a few breaks. When we were walking back to tournament central my watch said 7:18pm.

Iron Hill needs to be tougher. I'm no longer afraid of it.

I loved watching the pro's play Iron Hill. I think the course is amazing and we need more like it. I actually enjoy the hardest holes on a course and seeing if I can pull off the shot. So I commend you on a job thoroughly well done, again I have only seen it on video but would love to play it someday!

One of the best weeks of work travel for me was when I found out Iron Hill was about 1 mile from a fairly common work stops.

I am not a tournament player, nor do I throw 400 in the woods. I looked at the maps, pad and basket positions prior to going. I knew full well what I was getting into.

I enjoyed the course and the friendly locals. I have a few other courses to hit in the local area, however will absolutely play this course again. I had a blast!

I was told when Iron Hill was first put in to put up a sign like they have at Bethpage Black. IRON HILL IS AN EXTREMLY DIFFICULT COURSE WHICH WE SUGGEST TO ONLY HIGHLY SKILLED TOURNAMENT STYLE PLAYERS. That's it. That's what it was and is designed for. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's not fun and wasn't meant to be.

A lot of people don't get what I'm saying. They think every course should be fun. Why play if your not having fun? I'm not saying you can't have fun while playing Iron Hill. I'm saying the course wasn't designed to be fun. There are 100's of courses around with that in mind. There are plenty within 1/2 of Iron Hill, Iron Hill isn't one of them.

As a tournament player who is very competitive I want to play the tournament layout when I go to a course. I don't want to hear about temporary tees or baskets. I don't want to know that one time a year we play this or that OB. I hate made up mando's to make things harder. I hate mando's for safety concerns even more. Why is the hole there? I don't want to hear we skip this or that hole to play a temporary hole over there. I'm also annoyed when I go to a tournament and have to wait around because the new hole or an existing one conflicts with another hole. I don't want to wait on someone to drive because they may hit someone on the next tee. I wanted a course that took care of all these situations and offered a Ball Golf par 72 experience.

Is Iron Hill on the perfect piece of land? No. If I had a few more open holes I'd be extremely happy. That's why at the A tier tournament it was deigned for we use a second open course to compliment it. Are there long walks from basket to tee. Yes it was designed that way. No fear of hitting the next tee pad. Is it repetitive if you can't throw 350' - 450' in the woods? Yes. It was designed with MPO's playing in an A tier. Are there easier more interesting baskets for other players? Yes, but people don't play them. WOW. Are the tee pads for the Gold Layout better than the White tee pads. Yes. Trying to maintain Iron Hill so that most of the time you can have a tournament experience takes up a lot of time. I've been working to improve them but, I'm sorry my main concern is and always will be the Permanent Gold Tournament Course it was designed to be.

It is possible when playing the Gold course to put 72 MPO's on the course and never see another group. Distractions are kept to a minimum. They need to be, because you need to concentrate, hard, for a full 3 hours. Is it the ideal course to play a casual round while carrying your cooler, catching a buzz and Bull ****ting with your friends? No. If you are a 1000 rated player and can throw 350' - 450' in the woods and you want to test your skill, then this is the place.

Um, some of us suck at dg but like challenges.

Just sayin'. :shrugsmiley:

Latest posts