• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what to do with non-throwing arm?

KniceZ

Double Eagle Member
I've been working on hip, torso and shoulder rotation to try to increase distance and I'm not sure what I should be doing with my left arm. (RHBH)

a - Should I keeping it close to my side - feels awkward
b - Extend arm out of the way of the throwing arn - slows down rotation
c - Purposely swing arm back and then "punch" forward trying to increase torso rotation - timing??
d - something else
e - Doesn't matter - I'm wasting my time thinking about this

I would probably say E. While what you do with that arm does matter somewhat, go with what feels natural. If you try to do something specific with it, then you're going to be more worried about that arm than your throw. I honestly can't tell you what I do with my non-throwing arm, but it doesn't feel unnatural and it doesn't affect my throw...

You might be able to incorporate some kind of motion to improve your throw using your off hand. But for most people it probably isn't gonna work. I think that really focusing on your off hand would more than likely mess up your on hand. I'd say ignore your off hand and just focus on your throw. But if you do come up with something that works lets us all know.

The reason I asked was that when I was doing towel drills - I noticed a difference if I actually swung my arm back almost straight armed behind the plane of my shoulders; then as I rotated my hips and torso I would bring the off arm inward and forward, so my left hand ended up almost following my right and ended up at my right peck. Sort of helping to wind up and unwind my torso and getting my left shoulder forward while trying to increase rotation speed like a spinning figure skater as they pull their arms in.

I also notice that Beto (in his famous video) extents his arm back and swings it forward but he tends to swing it down to waist level and it ends up forward and up to eye level.

But most of the pros in the Discraft long distance clinic video swing their arm back but then drop the elbow to their side and the left arm follows the shoulder rather than help pull it around.

I'll try to get out a experiment some more in a field this week and report back.

Last edited:
I'll just say to experiment. The off arm can be used as counterweight to the throwing arm, and/or help in aiding weight transfer, or not. The off arm can also help the backswing, and/or the downswing, or not. Some players almost elbow the target with the off arm in the backswing to get a huge shoulder turn, and then tuck the arm into the body like Nikko. Other players keep the off arm tucked to the side the entire throw, like Marc Jarvis basically has his hand in his pocket the whole throw. Then you will find just about everything in between or overhead.

This topic has such potential for disaster.

On question tho, keep it relaxed at your side. Mine flexes a little during the runup for balance purposes but that's about it.

if you've ever snowboarded and/or skateboarded then you should know what to do with your back arm. its good to get a little help with that back arm when spinning frontside.

if i feel i am strong arming i will keep the offhand on the disc before the reachback or if i am not on my axis

Tried snowboarding once - it didn't go well. Let's just say I understand why snowboarders are more likely to wear helmets than skiers!! :wall::gross:

Taladega Nights comes to mind when I think about this. I will usually hold a disc or a towel when Im putting. I notice that when I dont have anything, I tend to miss putts. Driving is a different story. I usually dont have anything in hand

why not just go and look at any yourtube video of any pro driving. You'll see that they all add the off arm to the swing. So C

I also notice that Beto (in his famous video) extents his arm back and swings it forward but he tends to swing it down to waist level and it ends up forward and up to eye level.

But most of the pros in the Discraft long distance clinic video swing their arm back but then drop the elbow to their side and the left arm follows the shoulder rather than help pull it around.

If you were to ask these pros I bet they would say something like. "I never really think about it".

I think it's "E". :)

If you were to ask these pros I bet they would say something like. "I never really think about it".

I think it's "E". :)

yeah sure, they get good by not thinking about stuff. Riiiiight

See some of Feldbergs clinic videos where he explains driving. The pros know very well what you are supposed to do. Th eleft arm reaches back with the right arm and swings by close to the body to maximise rotation. C is the only correct answer.

yeah sure, they get good by not thinking about stuff. Riiiiight

See some of Feldbergs clinic videos where he explains driving. The pros know very well what you are supposed to do. Th eleft arm reaches back with the right arm and swings by close to the body to maximise rotation. C is the only correct answer.

F.O.!

You are an idiot if you think the pros are standing on the tee thinking where their non throwing arm will be when they release the disc. :doh:

The body works easiest symmetrically. Can you pat your head with one hand and rub your stumach with the other? If not, holding your arm up and punching forward on your follow through may help.

When i hyzer flip, i stick my off arm up perpendicular to my torso, with my arm bent square at my elbow so my hand is in front of my body. This helps me ensure both my arms are in plane with my shoulders.

Latest posts