• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What To Name A New Club?

BuzzSharpe

Par Member
In putting together a new, local players' association, we're looking at an acronym name with an 'I' in the middle and an 'E' at the end. We're thinking Inclusive or Independent for the I and Enclave or Experience for the E. Thoughts on those? Other suggestions?

A group of us recently formed a new club in Soth Jersey. We are in an area that had very limited courses compared to surrounding areas. There were all kinds of annacronyms, interesting names suggested, as well as area/geographic suggestions.

The other local clubs are named for the course they support, or the general region of courses they support. Lehigh Valley Disc Golf Club, Delware Disc Golf, Sedgeley Woods Disc Golf, Bucks County Disc Golf Association, etc...
So to keep in line with local clubs (as that's what local players are accostomed to), we went simple with "South Jersey Disc Golf"

I'm all for simple, and understandable meaning in the name.

It works, and we established a specific area that we would like to put courses in the ground, and if the few courses that are already in the area want to join, they have had an open door. So far it seems to be working quite nicely.

A group of us recently formed a new club in Soth Jersey. We are in an area that had very limited courses compared to surrounding areas. There were all kinds of annacronyms, interesting names suggested, as well as area/geographic suggestions.

The other local clubs are named for the course they support, or the general region of courses they support. Lehigh Valley Disc Golf Club, Delware Disc Golf, Sedgeley Woods Disc Golf, Bucks County Disc Golf Association, etc...
So to keep in line with local clubs (as that's what local players are accostomed to), we went simple with "South Jersey Disc Golf"

I'm all for simple, and understandable meaning in the name.

It works, and we established a specific area that we would like to put courses in the ground, and if the few courses that are already in the area want to join, they have had an open door. So far it seems to be working quite nicely.

This ^^ is the direction I'd suggest as well. If you want your community engaged, they have to be able to identify the club. If the club has the same name as the region, you're more likely to get buy-in.

Great Minds...

How about...
RIDGE
Recreational Institution of Disc Golf Enthusiasts
Enthusiasts was one of the E words we thought of too, but I think someone dismissed it as too long, or something...should definitely reconsider it. I always liked it. It's better than Experience, as that word is more of an abstract noun than Enthusiasts or Enclave. And though Enclave's definition really fits the world of disc golf, more people would probably come closer to knowing the meaning of Enthusiasts.
There is an R in that position of the acronym, and we did think of Recreational, but dismissed it, as we didn't want to sound like the other divisions (Intermediate, Advanced, Pro, Master, etc.) were excluded. Never thought of Institution or any derivative... wouldn't that make it sound like a looney bin, or something? Of course, that could be appropriate.:eek:

Okay, I have to ask, why does it need an I and an E? Is there a particular reason to try to fit the name to an acronym??

CGDGC
Climax Grippers Disc Golf Club

Onomatopoetic, locally-oriented and risquely suggestive. ;)

Last edited:
Absolutely Right, Bryan

This ^^ is the direction I'd suggest as well. If you want your community engaged, they have to be able to identify the club. If the club has the same name as the region, you're more likely to get buy-in.
The first letter in the acronym and word in the name is the name of the locale and the second letter, R is for Regional, at this point.

The problem is, there's no way we can suggest any name with "flow" to it without knowing the full acronym.

I can tell you that Climax isn't involved but these acronyms are cracking me up. :popcorn: