• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What's the disc that's totally changed your game?

The Hatchet. It forced me to learn how to hyzerflip longer shots and it improved my roller game. I am still working on the rollers, but my hyzerflips have gotten better from mids up to drivers.

There have been several game changing molds I've added to my bag over the years!

The most recent is Discmania's C-CD2 (throwing the 2nd run). I am a big fan of the hyzer flip and this disc fits my throwing style perfectly. Nice little pop-up, a little drift, and gentle fade back to center for a line drive type throw. It can hold booming annies, gentle hyzers, and works great downhill. It's taking shots away from my FD, beat up C-PD, and Destroyers - crazy versatile disc!

I don't really think it was a DISC that changed my game, more as it was me targeting a new SHOT, and needing more discs that were better for that SHOT I was trying to learn.

I'm taking about the beefy stuff. Last year I realized I had the arm to finally start targeting the over stable-hyzer as a shot I needed to use a lot. Before that I rarely bagged and virtually never threw anything more then "kinda stable-ish" I finally had the arm to use that shot on more then just really short situations. And it totally changed my game. But I needed new discs to throw that shot.

The disc that I used to learn to throw that shot was the Whippet. And it is a glorious, glorious thing. Once you can look to the overstable hyzer shot first for basically everything 300 and in you are on a new level with your game.

Ion and Axis were great learning tools for me.

A FR VOLT is what really changed my game. Learning to control an understable disc helped my form and the way I looked at line options. Being lefty a lot of shots I encounter need to finish left

First 3 I ever had: Aviar, Mako, Leopard. The 3 that started this whole thing.

There isnt really a disc that changed my game. I guess learning to hyzerflip with a skeeter started it all.

Anode. First disc I broke 300 feet with and was my main putter for a few years. I don't bag it anymore but it will always have a place in my heart.

Close second is a pro leopard.

Tern and Thunderbird. Also just got 2 soft zero pure's and I'm liking them. The grip is amazing which is top priority to me when it comes to putters which might give my voodoo's a run for their money.

A found 154 star teebird. It was beat in perfectly and was so reliably dead straight. Switching to throwing that on most drives dropped a ton of strokes, changed my outlook, and kicked off a big teebird addiction.

Man I miss that disc.

Sidewinder taught me how to throw a neutral, fast driver.

Firebird taught me the value of consistent overstable flight

Buzzz taught me that the tight woodsy fairways were not that bad

Wolf taught me that rollers were a thing

Anode taught me that driving putters is satisfying and productive

Pd2. I tried them a long while back but the first time I got the uber beefy second run.
Now I revisited them I am in love. I don't lose much distance but gain tons of control even over my old forces I loved.

Also:
Berg. It changed my approach game and now I am putting with it. Its harder to 3 putt, it benifits my putting style. I miss high left often but the way these drop even left misses often drop in.

Ion and Polecat, mostly. The Ion made me fall in love with throwing putters which improved my short game immensely and helped smooth out my form a lot. The Polecat was an extension of those aspects and I'd literally feel handicapped without a Polecat b/c I approach with one so much. These discs helped transition me towards an old man's game which I took to a lot easier than trying to throw a gazillion feet like Simon Lizotte.

The Banshee gets a mention b/c like the Polecat I use it for a lot of tricky shots and would be lost without its awesome FH roller ability. A 155 Leopard taught me how to BH roll and FH anny. The Fuse is my "comet" and keeps my from clean and honest. The Valk was my first distance driver I had business throwing and improved my nose angle control.

Nothing so much recently, but I'd say the Z Buzzz and the Champion Rhyno are the two discs that made the biggest overall impact on my game. The Rhyno's still the most comfortable, consistent putter I've thrown. The Buzz was the first midrange I really loved. Still carry both in the bag.

I love wide rimmed fast drivers too, but I can't say any one of them dramatically changed my game.

Honorable mention to the Flick. I still carry one (and have for years). Outstanding utility disc. Good for hook shots around obstacles or drives on shorter holes where a mid just doesn't feel right. Once you learn to throw the Flick it can be deadly accurate.

Last edited:
Teebird.

Once I figured out how to throw a Teebird, everything else came together. Strong enough to take nearly all my power (WHEN THROWN CORRECTLY), and so easy to fill almost the entire fairway lineup for me (add in a Star Leopard).

There's a reason every other company is always trying to create their version of it...it's the best damn disc out there.

Comet. Was playing a lot of years before I tried out this disc. I used a Buzzz for a few years prior and was always frustrated how I couldn't get it to hyzer-flip. Just too fast and stubbornly stable. Now I have a disc that I can hyzer-flip laser straight in the woods every time and get a big BH turnover when I want. After the first year of using it I was totally surprised how many FH shots it replaced. There are a lot of times where a BH turnover is a better option. I'm liking the ESP Comet the most.

Beat champ Roadrunner that must have started out b/t Viking and Thunderbird stable. Low, I can laser it straight out to 350' with a flat forward slide - sort of a Valkyrie without fade. Holds up to a headwind better than a fresh Valk too. It will also cooperate with an anny or hyzer release about 10 minutes (on a clock) from direction of release the same distance, naturally reduced, as the crow flies. Probably shaved a stroke and a half off my average round after a couple of weeks in the bag.

The guy that traded it to me didn't have the arm speed for it last spring and now that he has improved his form, he wants it back every time we play together.

Latest posts