• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What's the disc that's totally changed your game?

... thought long and hard

River. It was the first disc I got really serious about really field working. When they hit I tried one and had enough early success I bought a half dozen more pretty quickly. Glorious flights or garbage town, the River lets one know if you are smooth or not. Nose up/down greatly penalized.

I do not bag currently. I am not in round precise enough and the glidely fade outs too much wild card for me.

I would pick two. The Underworld was pivotal for my game about a year and a half in. I was throwing around 275', had good form just not a lot of snap, and the Underworld was the first driver I could reliably turn over. It opened up a world of lines and nuance for me that I hadn't had before, especially at that distance. It was a big disc for me for about a year, and it was hard to drop it from the bag, for sentimental reasons, even though as my distance increased it became just too understable.

The increase in distance and accompanying drop of the Underworld threw my bag in turmoil for a time. That turmoil was solved by the Crave. It's one of the very few discs I've thrown that I think is actually special, perhaps less so in characteristics and more so in just the ephemeral fact that I click with it so much. It's got monster HSS for how late and little fade it has; it flies some crazy tight lines and can hit significant distances while not relying on the kind of glide that keeps it from standing up to some wind. I'm not even sure how that's possible. It helped me transition my distance game to more of a power game and less of the finesse that I had when throwing the Underworld. It's such a crutch disc, such a workhorse. It's the only disc I've thrown that if it went OOP tomorrow, I'd buy 20. Can't overstate my love for that disc. I think anyone throwing fairways 325'+ should consider building their bag around it, though I also know that that's ridiculous.

Edit to add that the River deserves an honorable mention for the same reasons MarkDSM gave. Taught me tons about throwing nose down which opened up the next stage of D for me.

Zephyr - one disc Zephyr rounds taught me everything I know about course management and strategy. Go shoot par rounds with a Zephyr and you'll never look at a hole the same way again.

I'd have to (resoundingly) second that.
Everything about understanding and loving the game started for me surrounding Zephyr one disc rounds.
So few people have any idea about the Zephyr anymore, its a shame.

In the last year, the Kaxe is the best thing that ever happened to my game since.

If you think one disc can save your game then you are a dumb dumb. Diversifying your playing style is the key.....and being a really good putter doesn't hurt either.

The "MAGIC", not Magic frisbee

Like some eluded to, it isn't one disc that changed my game. Let's face it we are all looking for that magic disc that as soon as you let it fly you know this is "the one."

For me its a study in my progression in the game and that magic came in stages.

Initially it was a 150g Champion Leopard. It was the first disc I could consistently throw with dependable results. Distance, multiple lines, nice glide and the Leopard's forgiving nature cemented this disc a permanent place in my bag. I've tried other so called Leopard replacements and none could knock the Leopard as that first disc to change my game.

Next came a Buzzz. I had read all the hoopla of the day at which was the better mid, the Roc or the Buzzz. Having already tried a Roc with disappointing results I picked up a slightly domey ESP Buzzz. I immediately the rim design felt comfortable in my hand. And I immediately had much more cnfidence in my mid game with the results to prove it. I then procured a FAF Z Buzzz. Wow! That was the ticket. Now I have a flock of Buzzzes. Mostly flat topped Z Buzzzes and some FLX ESP Buzzzes for this time of year.

After initially exclusively throwing LHBH it was suggested I try FH. Epiphany! My distance went from lucky to break 200ft, to now approaching 300! Along came the Nuke. First disc I could muscle this ancient noodle arm out past 300ft. With and open fairway no disc flies consistenly as far with reliable accuracy. I've tried ESP and FLX ESP Nukes, the flatish Z Nukes perform most consistently. Also in Z Nukes seem more consistent in feel over the other premium plastic blends. As a sidebar, to create more wall space for other discs to display I took down my DGCR stamped Z Nuke off the shelf and threw for the first time yesterday. Truly a "MAGIC" disc. 275-300ft into gusts over 20mph with accuracy!

The disc that next changed my game was a FAF Z Flick! For me this is truly the holy grail of discs to change my game. In fact my avatar is my beloved Snake Eyes, a Z Flick that produced my 1st Ace. And my 2nd, and my third! I have since retired Snake Eyes and with another Z Flick I got another Ace. Initially a wonderful 1 trick pony I have since learned the Flick is fairly flexible with many lines possible. In fact if I was to use just 1 driver for a round, I'd be hard pressed not to use a Flick.

And finally I agree with some others how much the Zephyr is a game changer. 2 brutal winters ago I tried a Zephyr in the snow. No more kick the snow to find where a driver knived into the powder only to slide several feet past where it entered. Now most of my winter golf is played from the short tees with Zephyr. No wasted time searching and simply fun as hell to throw. I should also mention that I added a Condor for these snow rounds a nice slightly more stable Super Class to my winter rounds.

The Zone. I went from not having a good forehand game to trusting my forehand more than my backhand for most approaches because of the Zone. It's so easy and effortless to flick and so reliably overstable.

Learning/deciding to drive with putt & approach molds was the major game-changer for me. I was putting with APXs back then, and the first time I tried throwing it from the tee I parked a hole that I always blew past with my Buzzzes. Within a handful of rounds I had my first ace (with that same APX, and after 6 years of playing without an ace) and my overall game took a big step up.

As for individual molds, no disc has disturbed my lineup more than the Envy. That bastard steals shots from my Aviars, Buzzzes, and occasionally my fairway drivers. also, the Plasma Envy is a ridiculous lazer.

Sonic. I learned how to shape lines with this ridiculously slow, understable lid a few years ago.

Initially it was a 150g Champion Leopard. It was the first disc I could consistently throw with dependable results. Distance, multiple lines, nice glide and the Leopard's forgiving nature cemented this disc a permanent place in my bag. I've tried other so called Leopard replacements and none could knock the Leopard as that first disc to change my game.

The leopard is definitely one of the best molds ever made. Back in the day, when it was considered a long distance driver, it WAS that for me. Its the best driver to suggest to a new player, imo. I still carry one. or two. lol.

Leopard is right there with the shark to me as under rated molds for advanced players. People don't realize they actually handle power quite well in premium plastics.

Toss up between the Comet and Zephyr, these molds taught me that I could throw almost any line with adjustments of angles and spin control. Now I can throw almost any line and have an answer for most challenges. I also know that I have a long way to go until I can be considered great at this game.

Leopard,Comet, Zone ... but to be honest i dont know if any one mold really changed my game but playing putter only or just one disc rounds really opened my eyes in general

Wizards and K2 Berg
Before wizards I struggled with consistency in putting. Throw wizards for 0' to 200' almost exclusively so it's a disc I'm very comfortable with and it does well in all conditions. Variety of plastic available is amazing and has no equal imo.

The berg is an interesting disc for me because I use it almost exclusively for 170 and in lay ups. I don't run the basket with it but at that range I can put it under the basket 95% or more of the time in any condition and virtually any terrain. Elite par saver.
Set a lot of personal bests by using it to eliminate bogeys

Hands down, the Proxy.

I'd spent quite some time looking for one, simple thing...

A STRAIGHT flyer that felt "right" in my hand. On a whim, I picked up a Neutron 174g and started tossing it around. I liked the flight, but the Neutron plastic was kind of meh to me...

Then... Destiny struck, and I got ahold of a 'melon Proxy. It was like the heavens parted and the angels bestowed upon me the Holy Grail of straight-flyin' plastic. I think those 'melons have magic in them. Within a week of working with them, I started parking my approaches. Like, dinging pole every other shot, and/or leaving it within 5-8' of the basket for a drop in. Everyone I throw with regularly is now used to seeing that disc sitting under the basket as we approach lol.

Anything 180 and closer it's not even a question, unless I have to make a hard turn, then out comes the harp. The Proxy is the most used disc in my entire bag (which is kind of funny b/c it's the only non-trilogy mold that I even bag) and the first choice of "one disc" or putter-only rounds. It does everything - drives like a laser beam, hold an nice anny all the way down, or fade out with a little tail if I leave it with some hyzer on a low-power shot.

To answer the question exactly: RDG Scale and Serpent. Never realized that a slower disc with less glide will actually make a precision short game much more in play.

I have taken a NEW approach to my....(ahem) Approach game.

Slow throwing discs were added to my bag, never thought I would be setting all new putters, but, once I did, it truly changed the way I play.

I'm going with two discs.

First is the Wizard. When I picked up my first Wizard I was driving Rhynos, Gators and Firebirds mostly. I had a lot of raw power and some terrible form, so I coyld only throw overstable discs. Got Wizards at the suggestion of the DGR gurus and kept practicing with them until I could control them. They helped me eliminate a lot of my form flaws.

Ion - Its the disc I switched to from Wizards, and its the disc that got me into MVP. My disc golf experience would be dramatically different if I never threw MVP, so those first opaque proton Ions I bought from a Play it again Sports in Ohio will always be special to me.

MVP Volt - learned how to forehand flick with the Volt. Added new lines, a way out of trouble and I use it for for medium stable backhands as well. Now I've added a Zone to my game for shorter forehand approach shots, which gives me better touch, and less skip, on those shots, and use the Volt less. But it is still my go to disc when I'm in trouble in the woods. Also two Aces with it (although the specific disc got stolen), so that makes it special too ;)

Another game changer for me has been the Legacy Patriot. Finally found on understable speed 7 disc I am comfortable with new, that wears in nicely too. Lots of other great discs in this class, but somehow the Patriot has stuck for me where others have not.

I love the Pure too, and I use it for all my putting action now. Medium or Hard Zeroline for putts, Soft for Approach, and Opto to drive. But I feel like the Pure is just the putter I felt the most comfortable with. Didn't really change my game - proacticing putting a lot more would do that ;)