• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What's the worst disc you've ever had/thrown?

The Wolf is pretty bad, but I can see where it might be useful to some. The Magnet is one that I just couldn't stand how it felt in the hand. It flies nice, but in a putting putter, you need the right match, and it's just not made for me.

Rubber Putter wasn't a bad putter. Used one for a long time back in the mid 90s.
Steve Howle told me that part of the legal wrangling in the 80's and 90's when the patent was in effect was that he couldn't come within a country mile of creating a disc like the Aviar. The Aviar was actually pictured in the patent drawing so it was 100% safe from being copied (I know, the Aviar wasn't the first beveled disc so why was it in the patent? I don't know. I saw the patent and one of the two drawings sure looked like the Aviar.) Discraft and Lighting had a really hard time making putters becasue of that. What Steve did with the Rubber Putter was to copy the Aero. Because it was an Aero copy, it came to a kinda sharp edge instead of the broad, rolled off edge of an Aviar. It made the Rubber Putter a good disc for short drives and approaches, but not as good as a putter. Of course the disc name was "putter" so...

Anyway, if you think of it more as an Aero than a putter it's a decent disc. It's just not a great putter.

Discraft made due with the Magnet until the patent expired and they could finally copy the Aviar. That's when the Challenger came out. Lightning had stopped releasing molds by then and never did make a great putter.

wombat.

i have no idea why i picked one up and used it.

an early run Amp. i was expecting an easy anny disc.. instead it was a faf firebird. i was disappointed.

Two popular discs that I will not bag are the River and the Saint. Something about their rims just does not fit my hand at all.

On the other hand, I find the Saint Pro and the Maul to be exceedingly comfortable to hold.

No Franklin despair? Strange. The first time I saw an Albatross was about three or four years ago. Found it in some scrub off the side of a fairway at the great Fallasburg park (as seen later this month at the Pro Worlds Masters - hometown plug) :D

It was stiff as ABS, seemed to have a tiny diameter, strange feeling wing, and just genuinely intriguing. My cohort and I laughed with a bit of confused anticipation as I was inspecting the frisbee walking to the next tee. I thought to myself, "Well, a free disc is a free disc." It was listed as a driver, but felt more like an item I would use from my prototype lab as I was building mock-ups for automotive lighting. So, I lined up my shot... "Don't rip it, give a touch hyzer with some height." "PULL!" The disc slipped from my hand as if it was lined in PTFE. Immediately, the hyzer flipped over... and over... and over. Two full revolutions of a corkscrew flight later, the disc knifed into the ground about 120' away as my comrade and I looked on in stunned silence. "What the (expletive) was that?" he asked. I couldn't even respond I was laughing so hard.

The disc was labeled for "disc golf - practice and competitive play" however, in a decade of the sport, I had never witnessed anything so bizarre. We each attempted a few more throws, with varying power and angles, with similar results. This was obviously a white elephant. The gag was on us.

This is most definitely the WORST disc I had ever thrown.

Worst real disc? Lightning MX1. Super thick rim, extra domey, I think they were only made in the standard base Lightning plastic, and super strange flight. Very understable and very overstable at the same time. It was like a Katana on heroin! Just an odd mold that I could never get down with.

Two popular discs that I will not bag are the River and the Saint. Something about their rims just does not fit my hand at all.

On the other hand, I find the Saint Pro and the Maul to be exceedingly comfortable to hold.

Interesting... The Maul and the River pretty much feel like the same disc in the hand to me (fly very similar as well). What do not like about the feel of the River that is different in the Maul?

Skeeter in DX; stupidly understable. No matter how much hyzer I put on it, it would flip over or go straight but stall out and just drop well short of the expected distance. Could be me and my poor form but I've thrown more US discs (by flight numbers) that flew longer and weren't flip machines. Wombat also was like this for me.

Interesting... The Maul and the River pretty much feel like the same disc in the hand to me (fly very similar as well). What do not like about the feel of the River that is different in the Maul?

The River and Saint have more curvature on their undersides than the Saint Pro and maul, I guess? At any rate, they felt wonky to me, and I tried to like them.

Everyone is different. I am not suggesting that anyone else has to agree with me.

I just couldn't think of the name of that company. I did almost the exact same thing - found one on a course, threw it on the next tee. I just left it in that fairway.

Yep. Me too.

A Franklin Albatross was left in the basket on hole 1 of a local course. We were like, "Hey, someone left their disc. No name or number. What do we do with it? Let's leave it in the drop box when we're done, but try it on the next hole".
We ended up throwing it on the next few holes, just to try to get it fly more than 175 ft. When thrown at medium speed with an extreme hyzer, it immediately flipped into a roller. Very funny.

Would I ever buy one? No. Hefty paper plates are cheaper. And more reliable.

On the real....the World was very disappointing. Sometimes it was super stable and hyzered out bigtime....othertimes it would turn and burn, the mold is just TOO THIN to be reliable. The Halo was sweet but was not as stable as advertised...it was an Ok disc tho, just not at all stable, it was like 13/4/-3/2 . Verdict....same thing, I wanted to love the disc. And at first I did, felt great, kinda fast, flew similar to a buzz....almost....its supposed to be overstable, which it can be, but when thrown hard or in ANY headwind it would turn and burn worse than any mid I own....again, TOO THIN, when the disc is SO thin it rides the line of either US or OS and not a consistent flight. Pure was very excited to get this but it occasionally was TOO flippy again. I'm truly not picking on Trilogy discs....but they just happen to be the discs that were disappointing. I have used others that are good. IE: I putt with Daggers . I love the Harp. it all depends. - I was disappointed in the Ace Race Archer, but I think the Z versions are probably better. ehhhh its all up to the individual. but some discs are definitely better in general than others

GStar Dominator.
Had very little turn until it was mashed on... then flipped like mad. Seemed like it had an on/off switch after breaking 400 feet or something. Little glide and just like sluggishly meandered down the fairway in quite the inconsistent manner.
Also, DX Wraiths are impressively useless.

I was going to do a thread search for the Dominator, but decided to make a game of it & see if anyone mentioned it early on in the thread. Bingo!

As for DX Wraiths, I have to disagree. DX plastic has it purposes.
An inexpensive means to try out a disc, usually a newer players way to get new plastic on the cheap.
Another is that DX becomes flippy fairly quickly, so one can "cycle" discs to cover the major flight groups, US, stable, OS.
And lastly, in my post, good grip in wet conditions.

On the real....the World was very disappointing. Sometimes it was super stable and hyzered out bigtime....othertimes it would turn and burn, the mold is just TOO THIN to be reliable. The Halo was sweet but was not as stable as advertised...it was an Ok disc tho, just not at all stable, it was like 13/4/-3/2 . Verdict....same thing, I wanted to love the disc. And at first I did, felt great, kinda fast, flew similar to a buzz....almost....its supposed to be overstable, which it can be, but when thrown hard or in ANY headwind it would turn and burn worse than any mid I own....again, TOO THIN, when the disc is SO thin it rides the line of either US or OS and not a consistent flight. Pure was very excited to get this but it occasionally was TOO flippy again. I'm truly not picking on Trilogy discs....but they just happen to be the discs that were disappointing. I have used others that are good. IE: I putt with Daggers . I love the Harp. it all depends. - I was disappointed in the Ace Race Archer, but I think the Z versions are probably better. ehhhh its all up to the individual. but some discs are definitely better in general than others

I agree with your assessment of all of the above.

The world is super fast, and sometimes awesome, others just too flippy. Same for the Halo.
It is my understanding that the Verdict is supposed to be high speed stable. But it's hss was not reliable enough for me. It felt like I was sometimes overpowering it. So, I switched to a K1 Kaxe. Oh yeah!
And, I prefer putters like the Harp and Shield for throwing. Stability.

Everything is relative to where you live. If I lived at a higher elevation, I bet I would like more of the "neutral" discs like the Verdict and World.:D

I bag discs like a Shield, Buzzz, and Teebird for straight shots. All of these are susceptible to getting pushed around though.

At lower elevation, we need our overstable discs to be a little more overstable (in my view).

Um, but I haven't thrown the Archer, so I don't have an opinion about that.