• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What's the worst disc you've ever had/thrown?

Deep beaded mids: Rocs, Cobras, Wasps, Comets, Ghosts, etc. Hand feel is key in my disc selection. (I even keep a disc or two up in the front seat with me to fidget with at traffic lights or to absentmindedly grip on long road trips.)
I love smooth or gently curved wings.

I don't have too many discs I've hated. The cheap Franklin/InStep ones of course, but that's to be expected.

The one I would pick out from "real" discs is the UB Hand Candy Procol (not sure if that's the whole name or what). It had the sharpest flashing and the biggest dome. Not comfortable in the hand at all. I only threw it a few times, but it was not impressive. To be sure, it's probably too fast for me, but so are a lot of other discs that I've actually liked.....

For me, probably the Teebird, the Buzzz and the Wizard. I tried one of each and they were awful. As soon as I dropped them for my Monarch, Skeeter and Wolf set up the strokes just came falling off the score cards.

I was going to do a thread search for the Dominator, but decided to make a game of it & see if anyone mentioned it early on in the thread. Bingo!

As for DX Wraiths, I have to disagree. DX plastic has it purposes.
An inexpensive means to try out a disc, usually a newer players way to get new plastic on the cheap.
Another is that DX becomes flippy fairly quickly, so one can "cycle" discs to cover the major flight groups, US, stable, OS.
And lastly, in my post, good grip in wet conditions.
Haha yeah that was 15 bucks down the drain... but I have no issue with DX discs. The issue I have with the DX wraiths is that they come out of the box flippy and completely unusable. Like almost impossibly understable. I love wraiths and love DX plastic (I used to putt with DX, I like the grip) but the two do not jive haha

For me, probably the Teebird, the Buzzz and the Wizard. I tried one of each and they were awful. As soon as I dropped them for my Monarch, Skeeter and Wolf set up the strokes just came falling off the score cards.

Yeah? Well, I once knew someone who heard that another guy saw someone who said that Destroyers weren't worth a darn. So, I am convinced beyond a doubt that it is so!:D

The Aerobie sharpshooter series. All three of them. Sharpish squared off corners that are uncomfortable to grip, and although they all share the same straight, then dump-fade flight path, they require far too much effort to get any kind of distance out of them.

Blunt Gum Putt was perhaps the worst disc that I have bagged and trudged way too long with. For about a year I convinced myself that it was needed as an exotic layup / float and drop chain runner disc. Really over thought some of the uneven terrain holes in my area. Main garbage factor was it being awkward in speed. Needed an entirely different exclusive ranging effort factor. Low amount of forgiveness for 'flipping/turning over' ugly when putting 150' frisbee toss heat on them. Total weirdo and hyzer flip mega finicky to use for driving past that distance.
.., so that's an ugliness of my past. Much more skilled and functional with smart landing and approaches nowadays. Practiced a few dozen left handed (off hand) both high and wide release 40-70 foot turbo putts uphill and downhill to the amusement of many at a local course's practice basket earlier this evening.

I liked the way it flew pretty well, but the Salient Vein was a terrible feeing disc. Between the huge bead(on a fairway driver), and the giant dome it felt enourmous to me even though it should have been manageable in size. The UB drivers were also super odd feeling.

And if you ever run across a Lat64 Primitus you will see why they went OOP so fast too.

I had a Black Mamba in star plastic that I absolutely hated. The most finicky understable disc I've thrown. I was up one on the last hole on my buddy and needed a litle understable shot about 325' out through the woods. It flipped and went right, caught a tree and shot 75 feet deeper into the abyss. Ended up costing me the round by one stroke. I left the Mamba in the woods and told my buddy he could have it if he wanted it.

Probably not going to be popular, but here goes:

Evo Platinum Wizard. It looked really nice: translucent plastic with radial streaking and somewhat cloudy appearance. Looked like awesome premium-grade plastic. However, in the hand it felt slippery and cheap, and the radial streaks are actually raised from the surface. I tried to sand it to get a little grip going, but it was tough to sand around/over the veins. After a few rounds and a few dozen throws, the hand feel didn't improve. I was glad to send it to a friend who apparently likes these. Just not my jam.

Love this thread, the fact that some enlist others favorites says it all. :)

Ps. Leave my River alone! It has a wonderful rim to grip and is the only disc that gave a a birdie on one of my local par 4 holes (550'). 2 shots with the beat in frost River (first turnover to get some distance around a Mando and second laser beam(OB to the left)) and a 10' putt.

Edit: finally got a chance to write about that birdie I guess...

Max weight Champion Ape. Not sure why I thought that would be a good purchase. Not sure how people throw these things. Pretty sure a I can throw my putter further then I could throw the Ape, way too overstable for my weak arm.

opinion/subjective thread for sure,

but based on my personal throwing experience

Anything Franklin/walmart obviously, exception, the putter, surprisingly stable/straight

Dragon, uselessly flippy

Nova, can't throw it, turns and burns every time(probably my Oat) ;)

opto River, hard right turn every time (but I love the Comet?) maybe I got a freak?

anything DX that is already US,(beasts, Wraiths, Leopards, Valks etc) exception(T bird) i think the River Pro will be my new T bird once its broken in a little

now if you will excuse me, I'm off to throw my Prime Justice into a brick wall

Can't say worst, but definitely most disappointing;
Lat64 Trident, came to find out I got the wrong mold version
Opto River, had Rivers before, but this one was stupid flippy
DD Bio Thief, by far the most uncontrollably flippy disc I have ever thrown
DX Firebird, flew like a glidless Valk out of the box

Thinking about it I think pretty much all high speed drivers in DX are kind of useless at least in my experience. Putters, mids and fairways have a decently useful life but I have played a few rounds with guys who bought DX Wraith and Apes. They went to uselessly flipply so quick. I remember throwing a top of the world forehand with a two round old DX Ape and it did a barrel roll it was so understable

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I liked the way it flew pretty well, but the Salient Vein was a terrible feeing disc. Between the huge bead(on a fairway driver), and the giant dome it felt enourmous to me even though it should have been manageable in size. The UB drivers were also super odd feeling.

And if you ever run across a Lat64 Primitus you will see why they went OOP so fast too.

That's funny, there was a stack of these in the clearance bin at Next Adventure in Portland one day. Biggest pop tops I had ever seen; I imagine this is what you're referring to.

EDIT: My 2c on the worst disc I've thrown is hands down the Aerobie Arrow! No not the Epic - Aerobie somehow outdid themselves with this glideless turd of a putter.

Last edited:
Can't say worst, but definitely most disappointing;
Lat64 Trident, came to find out I got the wrong mold version
Opto River, had Rivers before, but this one was stupid flippy
DD Bio Thief, by far the most uncontrollably flippy disc I have ever thrown
DX Firebird, flew like a glidless Valk out of the box

Was there more than one version of this mold?