• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whats your favorite putter?

Ive been using Wizards for 5 years now. I like them but I agree with a previous statement that Im getting tired of the "gateway roller coaster". Its annoying to find a specific plastic and mold only to find out it cannot be replaced after its beat out or lost. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to switch to?

I use the Soft Wizards (the older ones that really aren't that soft but are MONEY once they break in. Big wizard on the flight plate with everything written below) I have considered moving on to the KC but the new ones feel like junk. I do like the VP but its a little too slow and stable. Im in limbo :?

makeyourself23 said:
Ive been using Wizards for 5 years now. I like them but I agree with a previous statement that Im getting tired of the "gateway roller coaster". Its annoying to find a specific plastic and mold only to find out it cannot be replaced after its beat out or lost. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to switch to?
I've been using them at least that long as well. That is why there is no "roller coaster" as far as I'm concerned.

#1, I have a dump truck of backups by now, so if I lose a good one it's just on to another good one.

#2, I've tossed so many different Wizards that it isn't hard to adjust to a different blend of plastic anymore. There are a few blends I'd rather avoid but more of them than not work fine. Some of the ones I hated the most at first, ended up being some of my favorites once I gave them a chance.

My favorite putter is my baby blue 170g soft with a Beaver State Fling '08 offset ghost stamp.

I'm still sticking to the VP/Summit combo. I broke out my favorite old Wizards the other week to make sure it wasn't just in my head. Nope, Vibram suits me.

To makeyourself23: If the VP is a bit much, have you tried a Ridge?

I still can't say I have a "favorite" putter. This kind of frustrates me. I really haven't met a putter I hate, I suppose I would have to give the Pure the edge but I'm just as apt to throw an Ion, Ridge, or Wizlock in the bag.

pro-window said:
XD all the way baby!! The best finesse putter and approach in my humble opinion.

Until the arrival of the Spike and Ion that was very much true if you didn't want to handle a tall disc like the Rattler. Spikes are basically like XDs and Ions are taller slower with more glide and less fade for same D or more. All of those are great for lasers that drop slowly and need less power to putt than most discs for the same distance while staying basket high for a longer portion of the flight.

NoLifeLeft said:
I'm still sticking to the VP/Summit combo. I broke out my favorite old Wizards the other week to make sure it wasn't just in my head. Nope, Vibram suits me.

To makeyourself23: If the VP is a bit much, have you tried a Ridge?

Ive only thrown it once (for this Vibram challenger) so I cant really say I've "tried it". Does it work well for you?

Eric O said:
makeyourself23 said:
I've been using them at least that long as well. That is why there is no "roller coaster" as far as I'm concerned.

#1, I have a dump truck of backups by now, so if I lose a good one it's just on to another good one.

#2, I've tossed so many different Wizards that it isn't hard to adjust to a different blend of plastic anymore. There are a few blends I'd rather avoid but more of them than not work fine. Some of the ones I hated the most at first, ended up being some of my favorites once I gave them a chance.

My favorite putter is my baby blue 170g soft with a Beaver State Fling '08 offset ghost stamp.

Ha I guess if I had a dumptruck full of back ups, I would have the same view point! Whats annoying IMO is when they mark SS that are really Softs and SSS as super softs... its frustrating to buy one because of the stamp/plastic, thinking you're going to get the same mold and plastic, but you end up getting something completely different. The different blends make for different runs and "molds". Thats where the "roller coaster" comes into play.

makeyourself23 said:
Ive only thrown it once (for this Vibram challenger) so I cant really say I've "tried it". Does it work well for you?
The Ridge is nice. If was only going to use one putter mold, I'd probably switch to the Ridge. I just use the VP/Summit combo because the versatility has been great and I can't imagine attempting the stages of wear game with Vibram's durability.

makeyourself23 said:
...Whats annoying IMO is when they mark SS that are really Softs and SSS as super softs... its frustrating to buy one because of the stamp/plastic, thinking you're going to get the same mold and plastic, but you end up getting something completely different. The different blends make for different runs and "molds". Thats where the "roller coaster" comes into play.
The solution to this is to either call/email your favorite vendor and tell them exactly what you want. Or better yet, call the Gateway shop and have them handpick the firmness you want.

ferretdance03 said:
makeyourself23 said:
...Whats annoying IMO is when they mark SS that are really Softs and SSS as super softs... its frustrating to buy one because of the stamp/plastic, thinking you're going to get the same mold and plastic, but you end up getting something completely different. The different blends make for different runs and "molds". Thats where the "roller coaster" comes into play.
The solution to this is to either call/email your favorite vendor and tell them exactly what you want. Or better yet, call the Gateway shop and have them handpick the firmness you want.

I have contacted Dave McCormack a couple times and he always tells me the same thing "we dont carry any of the older plastic". Really what he means is "we dont have any quality control and just want to get rid of what he just made". I LOVE GATEWAY but I think they could run their business a little better. I am in close contact with Chase from Iron Lion Disc Golf Supply and we have gone through his stash as well. I do have 2 back ups that will probably last me another 2-3 seasons but I want to anticipate the change before it happens.

NoLifeLeft said:
makeyourself23 said:
The Ridge is nice. If was only going to use one putter mold, I'd probably switch to the Ridge. I just use the VP/Summit combo because the versatility has been great and I can't imagine attempting the stages of wear game with Vibram's durability.

Thats a different combo!! ha I did use the summit for a few throws and its was the polar opposite of what Im used to. How do you use it? Summit for longer putts and VP for close range/into the wind? The summit kinda reminds me of a less stable Magic.

makeyourself23 said:
Summit for longer putts and VP for close range/into the wind? The summit kinda reminds me of a less stable Magic.
Pretty much. The combo is also nice when you have to throw around stuff. Need a short anny that will hold that line to the ground? Summit. Want that anny to flex and come back or land flat? VP.

im really liking omegas/small bead aviars right now. im carrying a CE omega thats lighter weight for longer anny putts and a max weight omega AP for putts. i loves me some pro plastic so the APs are tits

A 176g (illegal by 2g, but I don't play tourneys so...) Discraft Elite-X Soft APX for close stuff and a 146g Innova DX Shark for longer stuff. Both fly straight lines, even with very little spin on them.

If it's over 60' I normally don't even try to putt... I just approach with a Discmania GM Gremlin. And to be honest I'm really only 80-ish percent from 32 feet and in.

Latest posts