• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When is Par 3 no longer realistic?

We are not Ball Golf. We are better with far more nuances and obstacles than any ball golfer could ever imagine. Why do we always have to try to be like BOLF?

We are not Ball Golf. We are better with far more nuances and obstacles than any ball golfer could ever imagine. Why do we always have to try to be like BOLF?

Well the congruence is 'golf'.
As I said before, there is nothing wrong with the game, I love it just how it is.

The only consideration, on things like 'par', is we do have a fellow sport that is in essence the exact same sport with the exact same goal, only a different object and method. Ball Golf has been very successful, and it is wise to learn what the sport has done to become so successful.

for real?

i love both sports, but disc golf on almost all courses is a skills contest of driving and putting compared to ball golf. there is soooo much more strategy and subtlety in ball golf. i think we're moving in the right direction, design-wise, though. this website is an amazing tool for exposing lots of people to this evolution. people are beginning to realize that there's much more to great design than painting with a prettier shade of grey, there's a whole amazing pallet out there that's barely been touched.

for real?

i love both sports, but disc golf on almost all courses is a skills contest of driving and putting compared to ball golf. there is soooo much more strategy and subtlety in ball golf. i think we're moving in the right direction, design-wise, though. this website is an amazing tool for exposing lots of people to this evolution. people are beginning to realize that there's much more to great design than painting with a prettier shade of grey, there's a whole amazing pallet out there that's barely been touched.

small-bnb.gif

HA A HA A HA HA
He said pallet has barely been touched.
HA A HA A HA HA

Well the congruence is 'golf'.
As I said before, there is nothing wrong with the game, I love it just how it is.

The only consideration, on things like 'par', is we do have a fellow sport that is in essence the exact same sport with the exact same goal, only a different object and method. Ball Golf has been very successful, and it is wise to learn what the sport has done to become so successful.

My point was that we should embrace the differences about our game and not strive to become some kind of bastard love child of ball golf.

for real?

you must live in Florida :p

Most of what I play in Disc Golf courses are anything but lacking strategy and require as much thinking as skills.

If we are being similar but our own sport separate from ball golf, then our current equipment combination should lead us to use half pars for many holes. Opti's preferred tweeners would then make sense as 2.5 and 3.5 par holes.

I both like and dislike the idea of half pars . . . while it is neat and tidy in terms of defining a holes difficulty, it is sloppy in the regards that noone will ever get a half on any given hole, they will either get a 2 or a 3 but noone will ever get a 2.5, so how can that be par?

So what I would say is each hole should be rated with a decimal number like 2.1 or 2.9 or 3.4 depending on its difficulty. Then determining par for each holes can be based on proximity to the higher or lower round number and from there there should be a balance of pars that round up and down. So a course par should be attainable by the best in the game, but the rating of each hole helps determine which holes are the hardest on the course which also assists in handicapping (at least in accordance with the way golf does it).

I am drawing off of my history with golf and golf handicaps and course rating etc because it is established.

you must live in Florida :p

Most of what I play in Disc Golf courses are anything but lacking strategy and require as much thinking as skills.

I routinely site the Pittsburgh scene (played Knob Hill, living vicariously through the internet on the rest) and Charlotte (have played 6 courses there) as two of the most progressive areas design-wise.

Florida's got a few good courses, including this one

I routinely site the Pittsburgh scene (played Knob Hill, living vicariously through the internet on the rest) and Charlotte (have played 6 courses there) as two of the most progressive areas design-wise.

Florida's got a few good courses, including this one

Denny that course looks very very tasty to me (added to my wish list).....why do you think disc golf is boring and bland compared to ball golf?

Denny that course looks very very tasty to me (added to my wish list).....why do you think disc golf is boring and bland compared to ball golf?

i didn't say that disc golf is boring. there is so much more touch and reading involved with greens in ball golf. the ball golf greens and pin placement reverberate all the way back to decisions on the tee shot, i.e. if the pin is on the right side of the green, then the ideal tee shot is usually to favor the left side of the fairway. when pro golfers come to a course to play their practice rounds, many will spend much of their preparation time putting and chipping around the greens. they'll also revisit greens at different times of the day, particularly on southern courses with bermuda grass. they'll be taking notes of the various pin placements that are planned for the event.

for the big dog golf pros, there's a huge amount of subtlety when it comes to hitting wedges into greens. varying the trajectory, spin, and carry distance on wedge shots requires a lot more touch than virtually any disc golf shot. the touch required on golf shots only increases as the distance decreases.

in contrast, disc golf is a much more athletic sport. i guarantee that craig stadler could not throw a disc further than maybe 320 ft. (although tiger woods could be a cashing disc golf pro within 2-3 months).

thanks for the kind words on the course. hope you get the chance to play it some day. (best october - june)

For the record, I made a 3 on the 650' hole #6 today.

There was no wind today, that was key.

I got a great flex shot off with my 171 star Wraith, I would say it was in the 350-360' range.

So 290-300' out, I threw my 166 champion Wraith [a little more stable] flat and high, and let it hyzer back in, and put it about 10' away.

My Wizard did the rest.

...it felt like a birdie.

For the record, I made a 3 on the 650' hole #6 today.

There was no wind today, that was key.

I got a great flex shot off with my 171 star Wraith, I would say it was in the 350-360' range.

So 290-300' out, I threw my 166 champion Wraith [a little more stable] flat and high, and let it hyzer back in, and put it about 10' away.

My Wizard did the rest.

...it felt like a birdie.

if it quacks like a duck . . .

Latest posts