• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where does 10M start?

I think there's some chance the circle radius might be extended in the next rules update for 2011. I know Climo is lobbying for moving it to 15m when talking with him about putting issues last year.

TeamTollandDG said:
Sometimes I'm surprised at how close 33feet really is. There is a nice little debate going on over at the NEFA page about extending the circle past 33 feet.

yeah, some boy scouts around here put in some brick 10m circles around the baskets and it is surprising how close it is. I realized that I usually don't jump putt (or walk through putt) until I hit like 40 or so.

you talking about middlecreek? i like the fact that the 10M line is permanently affixed, thanks boy scouts.

Frank Delicious said:
TeamTollandDG said:
Sometimes I'm surprised at how close 33feet really is. There is a nice little debate going on over at the NEFA page about extending the circle past 33 feet.

yeah, some boy scouts around here put in some brick 10m circles around the baskets and it is surprising how close it is. I realized that I usually don't jump putt (or walk through putt) until I hit like 40 or so.

Are there multiple pin positions? They do it for each of 'em?

chiggins said:
Frank Delicious said:
TeamTollandDG said:

Are there multiple pin positions? They do it for each of 'em?

no there are not multiple pins and unforunately there will probably not be.

The way the course is laid out, we are going to do multiple tees.

lefty-hyzer said:
you talking about middlecreek? i like the fact that the 10M line is permanently affixed, thanks boy scouts.

yes I am.

Did you know there used to be 10m circles around Cedar Hills like 10 years ago?

did not know that, and i used to live off spring forest/lynn rd. back in the day! heading out to cedarhills shortly to rip it up.

Has anyone taken a tape measure to the permanent circle? I have heard to paint an accurate circle is fairly hard. The brick idea sounds really cool. I enjoy having circles on courses but have been told to use them as a guideline not an absolute measurement.

The one at MC here is pretty accurate but it is new and really hasn't had time to shift or settle funny.

As someone who has also played Middle Creek quite a bit, I really love what they have done there. Even if they aren't EXACTLY 10m, they really take the ambiguity out of questioning whether something is more than 30 feet or not.

I like the idea of extending the circle to 15M. I think 10 is too close. I was really surprised the first time I competed in a World Championship and saw the circles on the baskets. Surely that can't be the 10meter mark..and it was.
There have been so many times I've seen people jump putt from barely outside the 10m and thought how silly it was to see that kinda putt from that close.

I have a 10M string cut to toss in the bag for tourneys, less bulky than a tape measure and just as helpful.

Chuck Kennedy said:
I think there's some chance the circle radius might be extended in the next rules update for 2011. I know Climo is lobbying for moving it to 15m when talking with him about putting issues last year.

Wouldn't it be better to reduce the catching area of legal baskets instead?

You could also improve the catching ability of the baskets at the same time. Maybe by raising the basket rim height a few inches? It would require more accurate putts and make more putts stick.

You could grandfather in existing baskets for an appropriate amount of time, and/or only require the new standard baskets for Majors for a while.

Parks said:
Chuck Kennedy said:

Wouldn't it be better to reduce the catching area of legal baskets instead?

You could also improve the catching ability of the baskets at the same time. Maybe by raising the basket rim height a few inches? It would require more accurate putts and make more putts stick.

You could grandfather in existing baskets for an appropriate amount of time, and/or only require the new standard baskets for Majors for a while.

I don't think changing the size of the catching device is the solution. The problem with changing anything in the catching area/basket, is $$$$ courses have enough problems getting funded, a lot of places wouldn't be able to hold tournaments because their baskets wouldn't be legal. How long (or are they still missing) did it take to replace the baskets at Griffin Park?
Grandfathering the other baskets in would make people not want to play those courses, as well cause why play on a basket design that isn't going to be used in a major or a-tier event.

I love the idea of 15M for a couple reasons, one major one, I think it's absolutely silly that you can jump putt from 33feet away. Doing a jump putt from 15M (49.2126') is a lot more realistic imo.

Then you still have the problem of baskets spitting out near-perfect putts, and a huge gimme range for pros.

If you change the baskets, its better to do it now before the game (maybe) explodes.

While you're at it, tighten up the radius of the chain assembly to reduce catching area and improve catching on the good area. Combine this with a deeper basket with a higher rim, and you could have a really solid catching device. The devil being in the details, of course.

Fritz said:
I love the idea of 15M for a couple reasons, one major one, I think it's absolutely silly that you can jump putt from 33feet away. Doing a jump putt from 15M (49.2126') is a lot more realistic imo.

Yeah, and they should get rid of overhands and rollers, too - they look silly and some people are better at them than others. Straddle putts too - I think Kallstrom and Schultz look ridiculous, and they make too many of them.

I'm just being bitchy, because I am more comfortable with a jump putt from 35 feet than a regular putt from 29 feet.
I've worked on my jump putt, and it's made me more competitive. I'd hate to see it taken away from me for those distances. I know that it's intended to reward players who have developed the ability to consistently make 40 foot putts without jump putting, where I haven't.

To me, though, it sounds a lot like not allowing people to take a run-up on shots under 350 feet. It certainly benefits the very top players who are able to comfortably throw 350 feet from a standstill, at the expense of players like me who can't. I personally don't think Ken Climo needs any more advantages - (or, more to the point, I guess I think he can still excel even when lesser players are enjoying good consistency putting from 35 feet because of the jump putt).

What about my needs?

Screw all of you if you disagree with me.

Unfortunately, you have developed a putt that is likely illegal sometimes but players' eyesight isn't fast enough to see either way. Since you can't prove your innocence, that's the reason for the suggestion to move out the putting distance so you can always stay legal inside 15m or be obvious when you aren't.

There is nothing different on a jump putt from 35' then one from 49'.

If you have problems at 40', you need to practice more. If you have problems at 29' you need to practice more...
You see where I'm going with this......

I saw how useful a thumber was and I wanted to have a thumber. So I practiced my ass off, and now I have a consistent 375' thumber which bails me out countless times. Did I bitch that it was a unfair shot because players that were better than me, practiced it, and got good at it? no, I practiced my ass off.

I wanted to be a great putter, I putted 50 putts from 15', 20', 25' and 30' , "normal" putting stance, and repeated the same straddle putt, everyday, 400 putts per day. After I got comfortable there, I switched to doing jump putts, 40, 45, 50 same thing and then putting from 15' the remaining 250 putts

Sorry if that sounds bitchy, but I'd like to see my hardwork and practice rewarded and not taken away with an unfair advantage given to people who can't make a 35' putt without jumping...

Fritz said:
If you have problems at 40', you need to practice more. If you have problems at 29' you need to practice more...

If you have problems at 100', you need to practice more. If you have problems at 60' you need to practice more...

Fritz said:
Sorry if that sounds bitchy, but I'd like to see my hardwork and practice rewarded and not taken away with an unfair advantage given to people who can't make a 35' putt without jumping...

All I've done is practice putts without stepping past my lie from 90'. Ron Russell style all day long. I'd like to see my hard work and practice rewarded and not taken away with an unfair advantage given to people who can't make a 90' putt without jumping...

So I was the OP. And my original question was just to figure out if my measurements were correct. I have 10' , 15' and 20' marked off with tape. I measured from the outside rim of my skillshot. Then I asked the question here. I learned that it was the pole not the outer edge of the basket. So my markings are really like 12' , 17' and 22' .

I don't think anything about disc golf is broken. Instead of asking for a better basket why can't we ask for better players.

When you actually see how close 33' is, jump putting from that close looks really silly but it is legal (as long as your form is clean) so more power to you if you can't get a disc to fly 33' without jumping.