• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which Driver Should I use?

I know a lot of girls around here use the Gazelle. Mabey you should trade one of the Cheetahs for a lighter Gazelle.
Really it's all about technique. Take your time and practice patiently. You will see improvement quickly if your heart is into it.

Keep rocking the understable light plastic. That is the only stuff that has allowed my wife any success. Keep things simple at first and work on the basics. I would even try driving without any run up.

Leopard, Polaris LS...you can try 150 class but if you live in a windy area mid 160s might be better for you. A stingray seems to be a girl's best friend too (not that it can't be a guys as well).

I would not throw the teebird, my wife can throw over 200' and wouldn't throw a teebird.

Her bag:

150g champ leopard
171g star leopard
171g star stingray
171g E assassin
150g star sidewinder
170g ching sniper
171g star XD
170g r-pro XD

She likes the heavy discs but admits that the lighter ones are easier to throw.

Oh and keep playing, we need more women in the sport!!

when I first started I really liked using my Sidewinder and I could use it pretty well, it is still one of my definite favorites.

I would HIGHLY <zzzzzz> recommend a panther , its the best disc for a beginer to learn to drive with.

ive seen quite a few people who coudnt throw very far at all really rip that disc ,one dude I gave one to went from throwing 100-150 to close to 300 in round. Sports Authority has a nice set with 3 champ discs that comes with a low 160ish Panther a 150 valk and a 160ish aviar i think would be perfect, now you might be able to find a panther by it self online but the only place i can remember seeing one is at S.A. in that set.

women and juniors: the only thing they can throw are 150 class discs

I watched the Worlds here in KC this year... I'm pretty sure many of those women were throwing something other than 150 class discs. Wish I could have gotten one of them to play a round with me and give me some pointers!

Have toy conicderd getting a viking? Its a GREAT disc.

lol Dont get a Viking yet. Once you are able to heave those Teebirds without them being meathooks for you, which would mean they are going a good bit further than you are throwing now, then MAYBE a Viking.

Some guys are scared of girls that throw farther than them so don't worry about that. I know a 11yo girl that can throw a boss >300' and have no problem admitting that she got me by a stroke on a round too. She is also a world champ which in all likelihood I will never be.

Like we said, start light, start slow and work your way up. My wife's first disc was a 150 stingray and now she throws a 170s stingray and can put that thing anywhere. She is still suffering some distance loss from a shoulder problem but is working back up into the 200s.

Throw Putters and Mids off the tee and in the field. These discs are capable of some pretty good distances when given height and some snap. They will be slower and more forgiving to throwing errors, they generally have good glide (which will help with distance), and will sharpen a lot of the skills needed to throw a driver well. Once you are comfortable with your putters and mids and can push them out to maybe 200-250, then work on a fairway driver like your Cheetahs and Teebirds. These are faster and more nose angle sensitive molds that will require clean form. Find a place you can throw and start practicing. Pretty soon you'll start stretching out those fairway drivers to 300-320!

I would suggest throwing putters and mids also. Find ones that fit comfortably in your hand. My hands aren't huge and I have trouble with some discs just due to the rim size. I would suggest a mid like a Panther or Stingray. Both have shallow rims and are easy to throw. Maybe a putter like a Spike. Keep the weights as low as you can find to start with, and just keep chucking. You will start to eventually turn the mids over. Just keep bumping up the weight and speed of the discs as you improve. Good luck.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret lilpup8, I was being sarcastic and mocking some of the other people in this thread who were all saying "well I know a girl who plays DG and she throws all these 150 class discs." hth.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret lilpup8, I was being sarcastic and mocking some of the other people in this thread who were all saying "well I know a girl who plays DG and she throws all these 150 class discs." hth.

yea, they can throw a 149 also...you sexist

I play DG to get away from women
___________________/
14lt2jm.jpg

I've had the fortunate opportunity to play the game with quite a few women, ranging from those that only play time to time for fun, up to a top 10 world's rated woman <Sarah Stanhope>, and all of them will give you different advice, just like this forum. All of them use what feels right for them, and some are forehand dominant, some are backhand, again, this is total preferance. From my observations......most of competitive women do throw forehand style a good bit....this may be something you might want to try...but do it in an open area! Also, most of the women do prefer a backhand disc to have a smaller rim Vs. a larger one....< a leopard Vs. a boss> so good choices would be lighter weight smaller rim drivers. Good choices would be..leopard,archangel,roadrunner, cheatah. For mid range....good choices would be...Shark, Panther, Skeeter, R-pro Dart. Putters would be like everyone else...find what feels best in YOUR hands, what feels comfortable for you, and go with it. Putting is a lot about comfort and confidence...if you are comfortable with your putter, your confidence will grow! One disc I see a LOT of women use...omega SS...the bead is somewhat smaller than other putters. XD is also this way!
Most of all.....have FUN! Some of the most enjoyable and fun rounds I've had were with ...WOMEN! They will be competitive at times, sure, but most of the ones I've played with were all smiles, and happy, and joking around as well...reminding me of why I play in the first place....to have FUN outside!