• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

White dye on clear plastic??

yakuza sean

I have my plotter on order and have done many dyes by exacto knife. I've been having a blast doing dyes on the top and bottom of clear platics but I was wondering does anyone know how or if there is a way to dye plastics white? And what dye or formula to use?? Your time is greatly appreciated!!

It might be worth asking a current pro tattoo artist what they've been using for getting white. I have actually seen many newer tattoos where they were able to add a pretty strong white color that didn't fade.

Yes, I realize that skin and plastic are two totally different things. It just might be a clue that reveals a new product that might work.

i spent the last year trying to figure out how to make something white. here is a protip

if you need white use a sharpie you will find nothing that will work

you wont find liquid dyes that will be white, but you can use a vinyl dye spray or VHT. this is the stuff that is used on the interiors of cars for the dashboards and mats. it very closely resembles the substance some disc manufacturers use when stamping their discs (not the foil stamps) but check any discraft glo disc.

while you may think its a paint instead of a dye it does embed into the plastic and does not chip or flake.

after application if you take an sos pad to the edges of the mask it becomes almost undetectable.

index_image7391.jpg

this disc is actually in my bag and played roughly 20-30 rounds with no marks on the stamp.

you wont find liquid dyes that will be white, but you can use a vinyl dye spray or VHT. this is the stuff that is used on the interiors of cars for the dashboards and mats. it very closely resembles the substance some disc manufacturers use when stamping their discs (not the foil stamps) but check any discraft glo disc.

while you may think its a paint instead of a dye it does embed into the plastic and does not chip or flake.

after application if you take an sos pad to the edges of the mask it becomes almost undetectable.

index_image7391.jpg

this disc is actually in my bag and played roughly 20-30 rounds with no marks on the stamp.

Y'know I considered that awhile back but didn't think it would be legal. I was under the impression that the vinyl dyes in spray cans were actually just highly plasticized paints...are they actually dye, or are both available? I've used gray in a car once and it was a great product, very durable.

the legality of it is a good question, i know the regulations say that no modifications can be done that effect the flight path or weight.

it is a glorified elastic paint. but it does more than just adhere to the surface since you cant just flake it off.

I have done a few discs this way for people who really want to have a custom pro-d/DX putter or something like that. and weighed the disc beforehand and afterward and found that it adds well under a gram of weight. in fact my scale only reads to the even gram and i have yet to see an increase.

my overall impression of this is that if you are a PDGA touring pro, you may elect to not use it. In in all other applications I would venture to say it has less effect on the flight of a disc than any one my lumberjack expeditions during a round.

The litmus test is detectable thickness. Not altered characteristics.

The litmus test is detectable thickness. Not altered characteristics.

Yep. So it is, indeed, a coating, not a dye...not good for pdga rules. Personally, I don't care about that and I'm not worried about any effects. More concerned about wasting time if it isn't durable over time...I have a thing against peeling and flaking paint. lol

Latest posts