• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who tee from a 'B' tee?

hem1t

I have a tournament coming up shortly. I have 6 'b' tee's on the course. Some of the woman playing 'open' division, want to play off of all the regular tee's, while some of the other woman want to play from the 'b' tee's.
Normally, I would put all the woman divisions from the 'b' tee's on the holes that have them.
Any thoughts??

Do what you feel is best in terms of flow of play. If what you normally do is use the "B" tees for the women's divisions, and that works well, no reason not to stick to it.

Perhaps you can compromise and allow the Open Women to play the regular tees in one round and the "B" tees in the next?

TD's call, but I've also been at tournaments where the TD let the division vote on it, but it had to be unanimous.

Keep in mind that if the only players playing one set of tees are all below 800 rating, ratings will not be generated for those divisions. If your open ladies are the only propagators for the women, not having them play the B tees may have an affect on all of the other women playing your event.

Gonna have some women not happy either way, this is a pretty big topic that's been going around on Facebook recently. Some women want to throw from the shorter tees and focus on getting better scores so that when people see their scores, they don't think they're really shooting low, while others want to throw from the longer tees to see how they would compare with open men.

As you said, you normally put womens divisions on b tees on holes that have them, go with that.

TD's call, but I've also been at tournaments where the TD let the division vote on it, but it had to be unanimous.

The only safe way to do that is to make a decision first, and allow the division to change it by unanimous consent. Which, from the O.P., doesn't look like it's happening, anyway.

I've done this before, for the very reasons krupicka mentioned, though it was Rec and Advanced Grandmasters involved.

To the particular subject, it depends a lot on the course and particular holes involved. Are the holes unreasonable from the long tee, for a particular division? Are they rough enough that it will cause a tournament backup? Are there any O.B. carries that would be a real hardship on some players? And are the short tees in lousy positions (which I've encountered before).

Ugh for same threads started in different spots. Already answered the thread elsewhere.

To the particular subject, it depends a lot on the course and particular holes involved. Are the holes unreasonable from the long tee, for a particular division? Are they rough enough that it will cause a tournament backup? Are there any O.B. carries that would be a real hardship on some players? And are the short tees in lousy positions (which I've encountered before).

This is the gist of my response in the other thread. You have to take all considerations in mind as to why you put the women (or any other division for that matter) on the "B" tees in the first place. If those reasons are important enough to the TD as far as the quality and flow of the event, I think that outweighs a few objections/wishes of a few players. Those players always have the option, if it is that important to them, to play in a division that is using all the regular tees.

Alternatively, if it is just Open Women who want the regular tees, maybe you compromise and let that division play one round on the regular tees and one round on the "B" tees (assuming a one-day, two rounder).

Either way though, whatever the decision, stick by it even through any belly-aching. I'd say even if the entire division wants to change your mind, if their happiness doesn't outweigh your or the event's needs (particularly in terms of flow and time), be stubborn.

If it's a major issue, I do recommend publicizing the use of the B-tees well in advance. I've been part of a geezer group unhappy with our assignment to some poorly-placed short tees---and I've seen someone go ballistic because he practiced the long tees, only to show up and find he was playing all shorts.

With advance notice then, as JC says, players always have the option to switch to a division with longer tees. If it's that important to them.