• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why are we throwing 200ft shots w/ putters?

I am still kind of new to Disc Golf but, why would you throw your putter off the tee or longer shots than lets say 100ft out. I can totally see approach shots and thats cool. I guess what Im trying to say is there a special flight attribute that does not exist in a mid range disc like a Roc or Buzzz that would make you go for the putter? Outside the fact you have managed to disk down to two disc.:D

Basically it comes down to accuracy. The slower the disc the more accurate it is, thus the putter would be the best choice. Keep in mind this is assuming you already have good form.

But seriously, slower disc are easier to control, do not go a wrong when thrown wrong, and a bunch of other things that I am sure others will expound on.

"discing down" as i understand it isn't about carrying fewer discs, but about throwing the slowest disc that you can possibly get to the target on a given shot. that's why a lot of players throw them for distances that seem too far for a putter. better control than a faster disc.

As other's have said, its because of one word - control. The general rule of thumb is throw the slowest disc you have that can get the job done. The faster the disc, the more room for error.

I am still kind of new to Disc Golf but, why would you throw your putter off the tee or longer shots than lets say 100ft out. I can totally see approach shots and thats cool. I guess what Im trying to say is there a special flight attribute that does not exist in a mid range disc like a Roc or Buzzz that would make you go for the putter? Outside the fact you have managed to disk down to two disc.:D

Here are a few reasons I thought of without reading the rest of the thread.

Putters don't "flair". If you need the shot to fly 200' and settle you throw a putter.

Putters are straighter.

Putters will not be picked up and thrown away with the wind as much as a driver or mid.

You feel more comfortable throwing 80%-100% than 50-70% power. If you throw in that 80-100% range most of the time and just find the right disc for the situation and keep your form relatively unchanged... you will be more consistent.

For many people anything under 300' is an upshot and a putter is the most accurate finish.

Putter are also more likely to sit near where they land.. Buzzes, rocs, etc can skip away from the basket more easily. Sometimes this is attributed to the angle the discs hits the ground at as well as the edge or wing of the disc.. Most putters are slow and flat and are generally thrown really straight. Since they have little HSS or LSS they stay that way and sit down instead of fading.. Trust me, once you can throw a putter 250-300 ft dead straight you will use it more :)

-G

i love using putter for upshots that arre within 150ft and i use my vibram vp to drive with. that thing is STABLE! and will fly far

One problem though, I see with discing down is, if you make an OAT or angle error, it is less easily corrected by the slower disc. If you grip lock a faster disc it might come back... a putter is not going to flex so you have to be comfortable that you can throw 90% power accurately.

Within your comfortable range, you might have to power down to throw a mid which could result in it not holding the line you want. Since putters are slower...they don't require as much power and is more likely to hold the line you put it on...there are also other factors like wind and skips.

my .02

and yes...your form has to be decent to throw putters in that range. I used to think it was crazy to until my form cleaned up....now im always reaching for my putters.

One problem though, I see with discing down is, if you make an OAT or angle error, it is less easily corrected by the slower disc. If you grip lock a faster disc it might come back... a putter is not going to flex so you have to be comfortable that you can throw 90% power accurately.

So... don't disc down because then you can mask all of your OAT with faster discs? NOOOOOO. :doh:

The good thing about discing down is that it forces you to address those OAT and angle issues, making you a better player than if you just mask them with drivers. :clap:

"discing down" as i understand it isn't about carrying fewer discs, but about throwing the slowest disc that you can possibly get to the target on a given shot. that's why a lot of players throw them for distances that seem too far for a putter. better control than a faster disc.

i took "disc down to two disc" as discing down to a SPEED two disc... not clear tho.

OP, I didn't understand this either till I spent a day (literally 3 hours) throwing putters. All distances, over and over (this is best if you have a basket of your own and about 5 or 6 putters of the same mold). By the end of the day i was much more comfortable (with putters and mids) and had learned a lot about my form. It helped me feel the "snap" better and I figured out i wasn't snapping my drives, which is opening all sorts of new doors to refining my own technique

I am reaching for my putter more... even though i want to throw something more "fun" the putter is too accurate. And a good shot is WAY more fun than a wack drive on a short hole.

WE are not throwing putters. Many people do. I still throw sharp edge discs on 180ft holes. They often skip in and if they skip by so what, I can putt. I have 135 aces and over 60 PDGA wins. I'm not a superhuman. I do the same things anyone of you can do.

Not everyone throws a putter outside of 200'. I use my putters more now than ever, but primarily on holes under 200' or under 250' if the tee is elevated. Anything in the 200' to 275' is midrange territory for me. You should however learn how to throw all your discs from a teebox, just to learn what they each will do, and when you think each one would be the best for a particular shot.

and to add...I don't ALWAYS throw putters within that range. Depends on the shot and circumstances obviously.

Do you putter throwers worry about windy days when you don't want to throw a putter? How do you adjust to throwing more stable discs?

I ask this because we have a 255ft downhill hole that is wide open. On a calm day everyone throws putters. I typically throw a Nuke and spike it in fornt of the basket. On windy days I throw the same disc but I see other people struggle by trying to throw a driver or midrange and making the mistake of making it fly instead of fall.