• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do we call them holes?

I'm going to start calling my discs: spoons, mashies and rakes...

Hole
A numbered segment of the course that is a separate unit for scoring.

We could drop the use of "hole" by calling them "segments". You would be trying to "complete the segment" instead of "holing out" (which sounds like something for which you would need to hire a Proctologist or a plumber - maybe both).

Maybe I'm the only one but, I seldom use golf terms except for par, birdie, bogey and fairway.

Let's go THROW a round. - It's your box. - I got a 3. - I got a penalty for going in the water. - Is the basket in the A or B position?

I don't remember ever being asked if I've "holed out" :gross::sick:

Most everyone around here refers to DG this way, too.

That said, i've been playing for 18 years, and i've never thought even for a nanosecond that ball golf terms would be an issue for someone. OP can feel free to use whatever terminology he wants, but stick golf terminology already works in a lot of DG situations.

Much like Basketball And those hoops with hanging nets that vaguely resemble baskets. Things evolve to stay relevant, much like our language. Would you rather putt at a half barrel or trash can so that it can more resemble a 'hole'? I have played in a closed campground using the fire pits as 'holes'. Wasn't bad.

Maybe I'm the only one but, I seldom use golf terms except for par, birdie, bogey and fairway.

Let's go THROW a round. - It's your box. - I got a 3. - I got a penalty for going in the water. - Is the basket in the A or B position?

I don't remember ever being asked if I've "holed out" :gross::sick:

you're not the only one... though it takes some thought and effort I try to use terms that are more disc-specific...

these include:

"throws" instead of "shots"
"basket" instead of "hole"
"chains" instead of "links"
"teepad" or "box" instead of tee

and I stopped saying "disc golf" too... though it's been replaced by a few phrases...

"disc chucking"
"plastic chucking"
"disc tossing"
"that stupid disc game"
"that game where I throw the disc into a tree and swear"

and even more fun... trying to avoid the trademarked "Frisbee"...

of course I think the overall motivation of that for me is that if I start using vernacular that everyone else is using or especially the "disc golf" term... then it ceases to become fun because I'm taking things too seriously... it's fun competition and all, but a vast amount of the fun is it's not part of the mainstream ultra commercial sporting world...

it is cool as heck to learn how to chuck and manipulate the flight path of circular pieces of plastic...

you're not the only one... though it takes some thought and effort I try to use terms that are more disc-specific...

these include:

"throws" instead of "shots"
"basket" instead of "hole"
"chains" instead of "links"
"teepad" or "box" instead of tee

and I stopped saying "disc golf" too... though it's been replaced by a few phrases...

"disc chucking"
"plastic chucking"
"disc tossing"
"that stupid disc game"
"that game where I throw the disc into a tree and swear"

and even more fun... trying to avoid the trademarked "Frisbee"...

of course I think the overall motivation of that for me is that if I start using vernacular that everyone else is using or especially the "disc golf" term... then it ceases to become fun because I'm taking things too seriously... it's fun competition and all, but a vast amount of the fun is it's not part of the mainstream ultra commercial sporting world...

it is cool as heck to learn how to chuck and manipulate the flight path of circular pieces of plastic...

You know, having fun and taking disc golf seriously are not mutually exclusive. There seem to be a number of players who think that they are, and I'm not sure I will ever understand why.

Uh, most ball golf terms are about as goofy as you can get, they've just been around a long time so people accept them.

Fore (where did THIS come from?)

Because golf balls were expensive, golfers employed "Forecaddies" to stand where the ball might land and reduce the number of lost balls, as is done in tournaments today.

In 1824 the Rules of the Thistle Golf Club recount a conversation which a youthful Mr Tytler of Woodhouselee, an 'Antiquary' in Edinburgh, had with the aged Andrew Dickson when he said that he had performing this role for the Duke of York in 1681.

Dickson was then performing the duty of what is now commonly called a fore-cady.

Robert Clark repeated the story in his history in 1875 as 'what is now commonly called a fore-caddie'?

It is probable that golfers shouted to their 'Forecaddie!?', who would always be some distance ahead to draw attention to the fact the ball was coming and, in time, this was shortened to 'Fore!? The almost contemporaneous appearance of the terms caddie, fore-caddie and fore! supports this theory over the others.

http://www.scottishgolfhistory.org/origin-of-golf-terms/fore/

Probably 'cause of all the a-holes standing around, drunk, clueless and/or narcissistic? :D :p

Because Basket is two syllables, and Hole is one syllable.

Stems from my belief that [the desire to be/enable] Laziness has driven mankind's technological innovation since the stone age.

Latest posts