• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do women throw less far than men?

Ah, the old SW rears his selective hearing/reading head. Back to the ignore list...and I thought we were past this. I'm not gonna be made the site pariah because people can't debate things without getting personal.

Stay on topic of the debate, quit making it such a personal argument. Learn that I don't care about you, I just either agree or disagree with the opinion at hand. If you can't handle it, then don't post.

sounds like your the one making it personal.

Not knocking on anybody specifically here, just quoting because the points were made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22
In the most basic terms it's mostly due hip to shoulder ratio or the hip multiplier. Wider hips = slower turn, and shorter arms = shorter lever.
So why does Gregg Barsby throw further than Paige Pierce? It's not arm length, and it's not hip size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giles
I'm of the small school of thought that thinks more about fast twitch muscle fibers than arm length
This is a piece of the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinding
Hormones probably have more to do with it than anything else. That's why old dudes start losing their distance as well. Testosterone in an amazing thing.

That being said, my 12 year old daughter can throw 300' but her 11 year old sister can only throw about half that and they've been playining the same amount of time. One has the timing and armspeed and form but the other is slow and awkward on the teepad and in life is a very feminine girly girl so she probably has some extra girl hormones kicking in there that make her not a good disc golfer.
This is another piece of the answer.

Quote:
Boobs (specifically larger cup sizes)
This is another piece of the answer.

Also note the OP asked about biomechanics which has to due with skeletal structure, to which I answered. The other answers are regarding physiology and technique. :D

The observed fact that women don't throw as far as men (on average) is evidence that throwing a disc relies more on the natural physical talent given by genetics than a lot of people on this site want to admit. I suspect there are some big arms who would rather believe the only difference is that they have a superior work ethic and are wiser about technique than that God gave them superior bodies, but it's largely pompous puffery. God gave Climo a superior body for disc golf just the same as as God gave Bo Jackson a superior body for football. The reason the KC Pro discs say "12x" is related to his commitment to excellence, but if he were built like a male version of Angelina Jolie there probably wouldn't be a KC Pro line of discs, no matter how hard he worked at his game.

Climo isn't the best example of your point Lewis, since he's not one of the biggest arms and relies on accuracy and consistency rather than mega distance, his game is all about technique and putting in the work to know exactly how to hit any given line. Now someone like Avery who's huge and athletic and throws a mile would be a better example of physical gifts making a big difference.

I've always heard that the muscle cells are turned 90 degrees in men due to testosterone, leading to greater strength and faster muscle response at the cost of flexibility. You might as well ask why old men don't throw as far as young men. After male menopause, the older gents lose strength and speed and gain flexibility.

I have no idea what you're talking about in the first part of your statement. Muscle cells are muscle cells, plain and simple. he only differences are skeletal muscles compared to smooth organ muscles.

The second part is partially true - older men have less testosterone, and less testosterone means less ability to cultivate muscle mass and strength. They don't necessarily gain flexibility at all though.

It's a part of nature. These are examples of tennis pros.
Not sure if this has been posted yet, I read the first page, assumed by the last page this thread would be full of the same people throwing the same poop around. So I just found what I was looking for (see below) and posted it.
When former number 1's Kim Clijsters and Lleyton Hewitt were dating, she said that she struggled to win a point of Hewitt, let alone a game. When female player Chris Evert-Lloyd was at her peak, she said her brother who played low level college tennis beat her (from her autobiography)

Climo isn't the best example of your point Lewis, since he's not one of the biggest arms and relies on accuracy and consistency rather than mega distance, his game is all about technique and putting in the work to know exactly how to hit any given line. Now someone like Avery who's huge and athletic and throws a mile would be a better example of physical gifts making a big difference.

Fair enough. Climo came to mind first because he has freaking huge hands and extremely long arms, even for his height (if the stats on Innova's website are accurate). He's also got that "country strong" lean, wiry build, that I expect is great for disc golf. But perhaps Avery Jenkins is a better example for my analogy, since he relies more heavily on the power of his drives.

I still say Angelina Jolie is never going to throw a disc 400'. :D

The observed fact that women don't throw as far as men (on average) is evidence that throwing a disc relies more on the natural physical talent given by genetics than a lot of people on this site want to admit. I suspect there are some big arms who would rather believe the only difference is that they have a superior work ethic and are wiser about technique than that God gave them superior bodies, but it's largely pompous puffery.

I agree, the best golfers are the best athletes. Joe Schmoe may understand the technique forwards and backwards, but he will never be among the best because he's not fast enough, strong enough, or coordinated enough. You need look no further than this site for evidence- the technique gurus are not 1000+ rated players (afaik). There's no question that they understand technique, but it takes more than technique to be great or even very good.

Last edited:
I agree, the best golfers are the best athletes. Joe Schmoe may understand the technique forwards and backwards, but he will never be among the best because he's not fast enough, strong enough, or coordinated enough. You need look no further than this site for evidence- the technique gurus are not 1000+ rated players (afaik). There's no question that they understand technique, but it takes more than technique to be great or even very good.

Distance has little to do with rating. :|

Distance certainly has something to do with it because all the top players throw far. At any rate, good technique produces good control as well as good distance. I'm surprised that you would suggest otherwise. :\

"Distance in my mind is not about power, its about leverage and form. Your form is key. You cannot have an unnecessary motion in your swing, if so you're losing precious power. So get your form down first then work on the rest. Reach back as far as is comfortable: the longer your swing is the more leverage you'll have against the disc, which creates more snap which equals more distance."
-Robbie Bratten, Rated 979 and throws further than just about anyone.

Many seem to be arguing technique vs. strength, when really it's a combination of both that gets the best results. Good throwers often have one or the other, great throwers have both.

hey guyz whats up triflusal here

the boobs argument as to why women dont on average throw as far as men is incorrect. optimal leverage on the disc is produced somewhere inbetween the naval and the bottom of the sternum. you can still pull across your chest if you want though you guyz i forgive.

hey guyz whats up triflusal here

the boobs argument as to why women dont on average throw as far as men is incorrect. optimal leverage on the disc is produced somewhere inbetween the naval and the bottom of the sternum. you can still pull across your chest if you want though you guyz i forgive.

Triflusal is a well known boobsmith.:cool:

Latest posts