• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

why do you guys like wierd plastic so much?

That's an easy question, cause around here maybe 3 people throw MVP and every time you're around the practice basket or pull one out of the bag time just seems to sloooooooowwwwww down while everyone stares and thinks you're a pro. :rolleyes:

But seriously after being force fed Innova when starting out learning to play its nice to try new things, kind of like who wants to go through life only having tried just vanilla ice cream.

I'm throwing an increasing amount of Lat. 64 and a decreasing amount of Innova. Its because of the quality and craftsmanship in the Latitude discs for a competitive price. I don't have to root through a stack of discs and look for "flat" or unblemished plastic. I can buy a Latitude disc online and know its has been made at a standard that will never disappoint. Compare 100 Opto discs to 100 Champion discs and its not even a competition.

Also...don't read too much into what the pros throw. They throw those bags full of Discraft and Innova for two reasons. Familiarity (consistency) and Money. If they can make sponsorship dollars and throw the stuff they've used for years they will do it. Don't be surprised though when these other companies start competing in both those categories and you have a big change in who throws what. Look in a pros bag sometime when they're not in a tourney or have potential cameras on their bag. Many have a disc or two from a rival company tucked in there.

Ime, ive found almost everyone competing at a high level are using the same discs with a few odd ones. Im not just talking pros. You see the same discs over and over.

Vibram is the best in wet conditions. I have a collection of their discs "in-between" soft and medium. That's my wet bag.

The Ascent is my favorite driver. If I can only carry one driver, the Ascent is it.

I have about 9 Accents now, Incredibly versatile driver. I have most of mine (5) in medium ranging from 155-174. I got 2 firms 157 and 173 and two softs at 170.

I also have 1 Trek and 4 Traks (2Med,1 Soft, 1 Firm).

Way too many Vibram putters list, best performance putter's on the market IMO. Never was a putter hoarder until Vibram came out now I'm swimming in them:p

I throw a bunch of different brands.
Everything in my bag earned it's spot regardless of country of origin.

I dont know of any decent players really using it either.

Id disagree with that. Tons of up and coming Ams. Local Pro types. Im a 970+ player who throws all the MVP molds, and Latitude 64. Youll begin to see more of it. (Barsby throws WestSide, Schusterick liked my Rivers and Vectors, etc.)

I dont throw them because their mystical appeal, that just got me to try them in the first place. It was their performance being what I was looking for that kept them in the bag and kicked other discs out.

I do not want to sound like a Dbag (I know I am going to probably come off like one, but I'm honestly not one).

The main problem I have with the question though is this:
"So what gives? Is it just to be different? Are there lil bonuses im unaware of (ie must throw all dc at the dc ranch)? Is it just the looks of it?"

These are all "shallow" reasons for using a disc. Since your 2nd sentence it seemed like you ruled out that the discs are actually good and other people have great success with them, just because you did not.

With this reasoning I could ask why people throw tomohawks, thumbers, rollers, etc. Backhand and Forehand have been around with great success, why are people using foreign (to me) throwing techniques? I tried all of those and did not have any success, sometimes I can't even get the tomohawk to flip.

^This seems silly of me to say to the majority of people because most people have had success with at least one of these techniques, but to anyone who has tried and sucked at those, they might agree with me and say "yea BH and FH are all you really need." It's that simple, people who like them have had success. You don't like them because you did not find them to work for you. It's as simple as that. This isn't the 80s and there is more than 2 reputable disc makers out there now.

On a side note, just because you don't know anyone who throws them and using that as some sort of backing to them being a "fad" or w/e is sort of silly. Push putting must have been stupid since no one was doing it at one time, right?

Craftsmen,

sadly, you've just stumbled along one of the major flaws of this site. people on here are more exposed to these foreign/less common discs, and like them better, then grow chubbys for them and won't shut up about how amazing they are.

it's just like how you vocalize your love for your comet when you are asked about it, just imagine if there were thousands of you on this board, it would be the same thing, different disc.

I found this hysterical:
plus most less-skilled players are always on the lookout for the 'magic disc' that will sink all of their putts inside 30' and give them a 400' drive.
Followed by:
bmast said:
I throw only innova and discraft in a regular basis
Bmast SIG said:
My bag is full of magical discs and cigarette butts

And on to this...
Craftsmen,
sadly, you've just stumbled along one of the major flaws of this site. people on here are more exposed to these foreign/less common discs, and like them better, then grow chubbys for them and won't shut up about how amazing they are.

I beg to disagree. I just looked back and took count of all of the people defending MVP, Lat, or some other "weird" brand. The number of people defending them who also said they have/use Innova/DC or have an Innova/DC disc in their Sig stacks 20 to 4. That's 20 people who support the "odd balls (or discs?)" but still throw the "monopolies." So more or less those "chubbys" are people saying they found something they loved and that you should try it and might like it too, not that they love it and are "ditching everything else in teh univuRz because the rest are TeH SuckzZ."

I beg to disagree. I just looked back and took count of all of the people defending MVP, Lat, or some other "weird" brand. The number of people defending them who also said they have/use Innova/DC or have an Innova/DC disc in their Sig stacks 20 to 4. That's 20 people who support the "odd balls (or discs?)" but still throw the "monopolies." So more or less those "chubbys" are people saying they found something they loved and that you should try it and might like it too, not that they love it and are "ditching everything else in teh univuRz because the rest are TeH SuckzZ."

When did I say that they had to ditch everything else? I'm saying on an individual disc basis. There was the wizard craze, then the river, then the ion, then the jokeri, then the ion again, then the anode (this might be chronologically incorrect, its just an example). I'm not saying these discs are bad, or are even unjustly supported, they are just big surges in popularity that spill over into this forum. These are all very good discs, or they wouldn't have this surge in popularity, but people tend to say that because these discs are better for them, that they are better overall, which is not true.

I got an Ion out curiosity & it made it straight into my bag and my echo star dart came right out. It was that simple it just felt better and did what I needed. I got an Axis & a Vector to compliment it. I will say that the Axis stays mostly unused out of the bag, unable to replace my DGA Squall. The Vector made it's way in but but sees less action than the Squall.
I only have one Lat. 64 its a Halo & she's the bomb. I recently got my 1st Blizzard a 138 grm Destroyer & I still can not get the Blizz out past my Halo on target. The Halo is the best driver I have thrown hands down, I can't wait to get their River.

Last edited:
When did I say that they had to ditch everything else? I'm saying on an individual disc basis. There was the wizard craze, then the river, then the ion, then the jokeri, then the ion again, then the anode (this might be chronologically incorrect, its just an example). I'm not saying these discs are bad, or are even unjustly supported, they are just big surges in popularity that spill over into this forum. These are all very good discs, or they wouldn't have this surge in popularity, but people tend to say that because these discs are better for them, that they are better overall, which is not true.

My mistake for the misunderstanding! I'm sorry to have misinterpreted/pseudo-quoted you.

This thread may proceed back on track now. :p

The only reason any disc is in my bag is because its the best disc I've found for a particular role. I throw a lat64 XXX because it overlaps with my more OS QOLFs less than my Pred, and I switched from Gateway to MVP putters for their superior glide and durability. I just throw what works.

Bingo ^
I understand the op's point with annoying hip/cool/fad factor...but it is crazy to assume that ANYONE choosing a disc not made by the "big 2" is doing it to be cool or ride a bandwagon/fad.

The first Lat64 disc I got was bullet proof durable and went where I asked it to. It was a $7 xout opto core that I wanted to try for the lo $. Had never heard of the brand. And at that point, they were odd...but there sure as hell wasnt ANY cool factor. None of that influenced it's flight or durability.

At most courses over half my bag is Innova or Innova manufactured. So what? Am I half nerd and half cool? Nope...just like what I like.
And in alot of ways...these odd/small companies are keeping the big boys honest with some great products.

I don't think anyone in this game (even the daffy a$$ fad-sters) owes an explanation of what they use to anybody else.

Shi some days I wish I still threw all Innova. Only one store around me stocks MVP and Millennium, which is my entire bag except for the XXX n DD. Never seen a Quasar, 1.1 OLF or a JLS over 165 at a local store, and I've only seen 1 XXX and about 4 DD's. I don't enjoy having to order all my stuff online. I mean one of my local disc shops has a 25' wide by 7' tall section of their wall stacked with Innova, about 20 discs from all their molds. Trust me, I would LOVE fondling through stacks of 25 discs for every mold in my bag.

I think it would be really interesting seeing what all the top pros would throw if they had no sponsorships at all.

it's the dg marketing machine (aka this site) that pushes people to try new plastic all the time. plus most less-skilled players are always on the lookout for the 'magic disc' that will sink all of their putts inside 30' and give them a 400' drive. it's not too hard to have either one of those. find a good field to throw A PUTTER in and buy a damn basket.

FIFY :thmbup: :|

Can't let that putter bs go can you? Heaven forbid some random DGer have different practice methods than you, lol.